Authorized Suppliers

:confused: Can anyone tell me if Aerocanard is currently an approved supplier or one that has been in the past? I'm a new builder and am considering buying some prefab parts. I believe a builder (DeFord)purchased his main gear legs from AeroCanard (in 1998), but I don't see them as an approved supplier on the latest news letter. I'm considering buying the pre-cut cores (canard, elevators, etc.) If they were approved but have since lost that status, does anyone know why(poor quality,service)? I e-mailed Jeff concerning his construction videos but never received a reply.

Thanks.

Darrell

Check with Nat directly for answers to your questions. I do know that the main gear Aerocanard was selling had some complaints of them spreading resulting with heavy tire wear, ect,,,. Not getting a response from them should be your first clue:rolleyes: I know Featherlite is an approved supplier and we have ordered several items from them and are VERY pleased with their products and service. Oh boy,,, is this going to open up some old wounds,,,,,,,,,,,,,When everyone gets back from SNF!!:D

Dave Clifford

"The Metal Man" Musketeer

Vise grip hands and Micrometer eyes!!

Cozy MKIV Plans #656

Nat put out a newsletter some time ago that lists specifically the approved parts from AeroCad. You can find copies of the past newsletters on Nat's site.

================================

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678, Chapter 23 Engine and Cowls

http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/waynehicks/index.html

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

To be honest with you, we have cut the cores for 2 planes and it really is not time consuming or dificult. If I remember right we cut all of the cores for 4 wings in 1 day! We did ruin one cut, but were able to use other pieces of foam to make the part.

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

I'd agree with Mike here. Cutting the foam cores is an easy and facinating part of the building experience. I started off thinking that I was in this [building] cause I wanted an airplane. It's a good job I was wrong - I found out that I'm in it 'cause its fun. If it wasnt, I wouldnt have been able to stick with it. I still want the airplane, but the pure satisfaction of building each and every piece from the ground up just can't be described.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

• 10 months later...

I would have thought this thread contains the "List Of Authorized Suppliers" for Cozy Mark IV....

I want to order my Main gears, and someone said to Order the Nose strut.

1.) What is a Nose Strut?

2.) Who is the Supplier for the Electric Nose Lift?

2A.)Steve Wright & Jack WIlhelmson?

Feather-Lite....Is the Approved Supplier for the Main Gear...in Ukiah, California

:confused:

Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.Net

I am Building a Jo-Z IV StarShip.

What Do YOU Want?

Originally posted by Joe Patterson

1.) What is a Nose Strut?

2.) Who is the Supplier for the Electric Nose Lift?

2A.)Steve Wright & Jack WIlhelmson?

1) Read Chapter 13 (In fact, all your questions regarding materials and parts will be answered by reading the plans)

2) See the COZY newsletters you received when you purchased the plans, or see:

http://www.cozybuilders.org/newsletters/

There are other noselift suppliers as well that you can find by judicious searching of CSA newsletters or the COZY archives, but these are the two biggies.

3) Well, you didn't ask three questions here, but you've asked a lot of others that can be answered by:

Read the COZY builders FAQ and archives, at:

http://www.cozybuilders.org/mail_list/

Give a man a fish.... Teach a man to fish.... etc.

Yeah, however..telling him to put on a hook, some bait and throw it in the water.........ISN"T teaching him anything. Seaches on the internet, drive me Insane.

--------------------------------------------------

Matters of a Personal Nature

Marc, I wonder if this would have been better said to me in a private manner.

I,being new to computers,have a horrible time trying to find stuff in search engines. I will muttle through. I suppose I could read, more. I do seem to ask the first question that pops into my head. Please don't waste any more of your time reading or answering my posts, If in any way you think them childish.

I have an uncle that uses computers a lot, and has for years. He comes across very arrogant, in the way he speaks to others simply because HE doesn't understand the complications others have. I am sure it must be frustrating for him.

--------------------------------------------------

I can only imagine the frustrations that others more "Unlearned in computers" (than I) must have.

I live so far up in the mountains, I can't seem to find much computer help. .............but

The information is not "That easy to Find".I don't want to speak ill of whoever writes the the newsletter,or the author and composer of the "Plans" or Peoples responces to "Posts"..........but all could be a bit more Informaive.

I found the ANSWER to ONE of my Questions.........It only took me Three and Half hours........A nose strut seems to be a piece of Fiberglass, that brackets mount to.

Thanks so much for the kindness of help,

Love Joe:(

What Do YOU Want?

joe, ask away, you are in the coffee house having coffee with friends and not only do you get the answer, all other wannabees and "new builders" and experienced builders do to.

I am with you on searches, I am very computer literate and have performed searches for a LONG time and they are very labor intentive.

The goal of this site is to anwer all of our questions, regardless of the fact that a search could find it elsewhere.

your prebuild question on the instrument panel just found a stupid error we did on the nose gear and we are now fixing it.

enjoy the build, ask away

dust

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

I am wanting to make sure, that what I have read I undrstand correctly.

Are both, Steve Wright & Jack Wilhelmson......Authorized Suppliers of the Cozy Mark IV Electric Nose Gear?and.....Are they the only Authorized Suppliers of such?End of question...........Please don't tell me you can't answer, because it is REALLY two questions!!!!!

Friends Indeed, Let us pretend we are fishing together.

Joe:cool:

What Do YOU Want?

Yeah, however..telling him to put on a hook, some bait and throw it in the water.........ISN"T teaching him anything. Seaches on the internet, drive me Insane.

Two of the three information sources I pointed you to are paper and are sitting on your desk/table. The FAQ and archives are hardly internet searches - I gave you the URL's, all you have to do was click on them and read.

Marc, I wonder if this would have been better said to me in a private manner.

The answers to these questions might be interesting to others - why limit the info?

I,being new to computers,have a horrible time trying to find stuff in search engines. I will muttle through. I suppose I could read, more. I do seem to ask the first question that pops into my head. Please don't waste any more of your time reading or answering my posts, If in any way you think them childish.

The questions aren't childish, they're just easily available to you without making anyone else do any work - I think part of the responsibility of mail list/forum users when on an information search is to ensure that they're not using others to do their work for them, and have at least done a cursory look at available information. I was pointing you toward useful information sources, both for your current (and future) questions.

....He comes across very arrogant, in the way he speaks to others simply because HE doesn't understand the complications others have.

Not the first time I've heard that, and I will endeavor to minimize the appearance of arrogance. I apologize, since that was not my intent.

The information is not "That easy to Find".I don't want to speak ill of whoever writes the the newsletter,or the author and composer of the "Plans" or Peoples responces to "Posts"..........but all could be a bit more Informaive.

The COZY plans are about the best you'll find on the market - Burt and Nat did a GREAT job. That's not to say they can't be improved - they can - but reading them through a couple of times before you start building can only help you in understanding what everything is and how it goes together. The newsletters are mostly fluff, but the "supplier" and "mandatory changes" sections are very useful.

Are both, Steve Wright & Jack Wilhelmson......Authorized Suppliers of the Cozy Mark IV Electric Nose Gear? and.....Are they the only Authorized Suppliers of such?

Yes.

I can't quite get my head around..-----> {How all this by M.Z.below is less work , than a simple "YES".}

So none will think me LAZY.....I have been searching and reading for 6-8 FREAKING HOURS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>To find this information out.(I am near tears here).........THANKS

I have three times confessed my failings....Not once I have seen anyone else say as much about themselves.

Originally posted by Marc Zeitlin

Two of the three information sources I pointed you to are paper and are sitting on your desk/table. The FAQ and archives are hardly internet searches - I gave you the URL's, all you have to do was click on them and read.

The answers to these questions might be interesting to others - why limit the info?

The questions aren't childish, they're just easily available to you without making anyone else do any work - I think part of the responsibility of mail list/forum users when on an information search is to ensure that they're not using others to do their work for them, and have at least done a cursory look at available information. I was pointing you toward useful information sources, both for your current (and future) questions.

Not the first time I've heard that, and I will endeavor to minimize the appearance of arrogance. I apologize, since that was not my intent.

The COZY plans are about the best you'll find on the market - Burt and Nat did a GREAT job. That's not to say they can't be improved - they can - but reading them through a couple of times before you start building can only help you in understanding what everything is and how it goes together. The newsletters are mostly fluff, but the "supplier" and "mandatory changes" sections are very useful.

Yes.

What Do YOU Want?

I can't quite get my head around..-----> {How all this by M.Z.below is less work , than a simple "YES".}

In the short term, it's more work. If people become educated as to the information sources available to them, then in the long term it's less work.

So none will think me LAZY.....I have been searching and reading for 6-8 FREAKING HOURS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>To find this information out.(I am near tears here).........THANKS

Listen - Mike is right, in a couple of senses. First, people managed to build these planes before the internet existed, and they had NO "builder support networks" other than the RAF or Nat, and maybe the quarterly paper CSA newsletter. Secondly, even if ALL you had in front of you was the plans, and nothing else, you could build a perfectly good plane, either reading ahead or just doing whatever the next paragraph said to do. I did exactly that with the Q2 I built - I talked to the factory twice, and no-one else ever during the 4 year build.

I'm a read-ahead kind of guy - I bought my plans in late 1994, and spent approximately 100 hours reading them and the newsletters over and over and over and over and over again before I started building. Mike is the opposite - he does what the next paragraph says, and that works for him - that's great.

It's not a question of "lazy". You sound to be more like me from a preparation standpoint than like Mike - if that's the case, then I just think that you haven't quite gotten your head around just how much work this project is, both from a mental and physical standpoint.

If nothing else, when you ask a question, TELL people that you've searched the plans / newsletters / on-line data for the information that you're asking for, so that they KNOW that you're not asking for them to do YOUR work for you - then they'll be more than happy to help out.

All of this goes for all the new builders out there, obviously - not just Joseph.

Jack Wilhelmsons unit is more compact than Steve Wrights and also weighs a little less. It may not be as robust though. It doesn't have that spring on the end as Steves does. We got the Wilhelmsons units for our birds. They installed easily, and the quality of his work is top notch. So is Steves, if you get a chance to see his unit at a fly-in. We just liked the smaller unit.

Dave Clifford

"The Metal Man" Musketeer

Vise grip hands and Micrometer eyes!!

Cozy MKIV Plans #656

This first Quote below was about my Uncle, SOME HOW that part was Cut out by Mr. Z.when he "Quoted" me.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....He comes across very arrogant, in the way he speaks to others simply because HE doesn't understand the complications others have.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the rest of this.

............aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

Never mind .............Not worth it.Seems like another wasted "Thread"

Originally posted by Marc Zeitlin

In the short term, it's more work. If people become educated as to the information sources available to them, then in the long term it's less work.

Listen - Mike is right, in a couple of senses. First, people managed to build these planes before the internet existed, and they had NO "builder support networks" other than the RAF or Nat, and maybe the quarterly paper CSA newsletter. Secondly, even if ALL you had in front of you was the plans, and nothing else, you could build a perfectly good plane, either reading ahead or just doing whatever the next paragraph said to do. I did exactly that with the Q2 I built - I talked to the factory twice, and no-one else ever during the 4 year build.

I'm a read-ahead kind of guy - I bought my plans in late 1994, and spent approximately 100 hours reading them and the newsletters over and over and over and over and over again before I started building. Mike is the opposite - he does what the next paragraph says, and that works for him - that's great.

It's not a question of "lazy". You sound to be more like me from a preparation standpoint than like Mike - if that's the case, then I just think that you haven't quite gotten your head around just how much work this project is, both from a mental and physical standpoint.

If nothing else, when you ask a question, TELL people that you've searched the plans / newsletters / on-line data for the information that you're asking for, so that they KNOW that you're not asking for them to do YOUR work for you - then they'll be more than happy to help out.

All of this goes for all the new builders out there, obviously - not just Joseph.

:mad:

What Do YOU Want?

Originally posted by clifford

Jack Wilhelmsons unit is more compact than Steve Wrights and also weighs a little less. It may not be as robust though. It doesn't have that spring on the end as Steves does....

Jack's unit has the spring internally - it's just not visible. What makes you think it's not as robust?

Don't worry about it Joe! It seems that several people believe all questions on the forum could be answered by "just search through the archives!" Heck, we might as well just pack it up and close the forum. Its practically useless!

What they seem to forget is information changes and the archives are old news. So ask away my Hippy Friend and just skip on by the naysayers... :P

This ain't rocket surgery!

Since this forum tends to be open season on people with Lycoming powered flying airplanes, I might as well jump into the fracas! I will attempt to do this in a manner that irritates and cranks off as many of the non-builders as possible, just so the image that people with a few years of building experience are simply being arrogant SOBs when they respond to questions posed by beginning builders.

Also, I purchased almost all of my materials from the non-approved supplier, Wicks Aircraft and Organ Sales. This information comes from their 1998 Catalog. I think the files are available in a spreadsheet format if you ask for them, but I'm not sure.

Their Fiberglass kit for Section 1 consists of 109 yards of BID, and 207 yards of UNI. Section 2 consists of 30 yards BID, and 20 yards UNI. Total, 139 yards BID, 227 yards UNI. 282 yards of Spar Tape.

I believe those yards assume you are going to buy all the prefab fiberglass parts, like turtleback and armrests. So you need a few more. Plus, some people run out of cloth when they order the 'Chapter kits'. This could be from not making quite as efficient use of the cloth, or just a slight error in the plans.

I ordered two rolls of UNI, one roll of BID, and two rolls of spar tape. I found that $200 of truck freight would deliver all of the foam, glass, 15 gallons of epoxy, all the metal, nuts & bolts, etc. You can see what the order looked like on the trailer here:

http://www.gourmetdamage.com/images_01/Page.html

Pictures 110, 111, and 112 show the trailer on it's way from the truck dock to my shop. There is also some pictures of 92VT heading out when it was flying off the hours.

<Heck, we might as well just pack it up and close the forum. Its practically useless!>

Yup, it's easy to get discouraged about participating on forums like this. The signal to noise ratio becomes quite weak at times.

Marc said: <<The COZY plans are about the best you'll find on the market - Burt and Nat did a GREAT job. That's not to say they can't be improved - they can - >>

These plans are fantastic, all things considered. I about went nuts trying to figure out where the dimensions were, and looking for detail that did not quite exist. The bulkhead drawings get to a lot of people, and the whole thing about piecing the airfoils together. Here's what I did:

First: Printed off the CAD files of the bulkheads. (Found at http://cozybuilders.org/cad_files/ ). If you don't have access to a big CAD plotter, put out the request and see if someone helps you out.

Second- John Epplin made a great set of wing templates. They have probably been used on 20 sets of wings so far, and were recently found lurking in New Mexico. I have been the coordinator of those templates in the past, and may know where they are when you get to that point.

Third: Someone described it as getting into the Zen of building. You need to take a bit of a leap of faith, and just start building. Before I started, someone sent me an email that said 'Stop writing emails, start building.' Sent from a person who was flying his airplane. Guaranteed to absolutely crank off every non-builder who is fussing over the details, trying to get everything figured out before they start in on the project.

Fourth: The mantra: Relax, it's fiberglass, anything can be fixed. I heard about another one of those Mister Peepers hand in the mouth dances from a builder who just did a major boo-boo on a freshly painted wing. And he was laughing about it... (Not a lot, but he was still laughing) Relax, it's fiberglass, anything can be fixed.

So, for those about to Glass: We salute You!

Relax, Breath, and Glass. Build a Chapter or two before you worry about the finishing touches. Relax, Breath, and Glass. You don't need axles, tires, or brakes for a long time. Relax, Breath, and Glass. There will be more experience with all engines by the time you get there. Relax, Breath, and Glass...

Regards-

Norm

Hey Joe,

I have never posted before but I bought my plans right before you did and I can not build yet. Taking a year off.... lucky dude, I can't do that. I got transferred and now I am moving to a house that I just bought. I have read these threads for a few months and I have learned alot. Now I want to build, but still have to wait on moving in 2 weeks.

I am sad to read that you are ashamed to call your plane a cozy. You have been kind of my hero with answers you get from Dust and Slade and all of the others. I don't read the answers that you have been getting as sarcasm, jut mainly teasing. I hear your frustration because you and I are similar.... like the show said...we want answers and we want to say "Is that your final answer." I am a fellow New Mexican (T or C).

Man there are a lot of suppliers!!

Later Toas man

Dave:D

Dave Barr

Just when I thought life could not get any better...........

I don't read the answers that you have been getting as sarcasm, jut mainly teasing.

Yea. Lighten up, Joe. All questions are welcome here, and WILL get answers if possible, despite what one (and only one, I think) member might say. One of Marc's biggest complaints about this forum is that it lacks quality content. That's changing, and you're questions only help to change it more quickly. Marc's suggestions to RTFM only go to restrict quality content increase. While I understand his point that you DO have to read and research, restricting new builder questions doesn't make any sense to me.

While on this subject, I have a suggestion. Dust recently asked me to clean out his "chatter" from my launch count-down. Chatter is good because it lightens the tone of the whole forum and I for one like that, but we don't need it in the database. How about a simple text note on the bottom of any "chatter" message you're about to post. Simply "DNA" (do not archive) would do. Jon or I could do a weekly search for DNA and delete these messages. Simple. I guess Jon could program this in, but the DNA code would work for now.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net