moved from the lycoming thread...

Originally posted by LargePrime, referring to Greg Richter

John shame him into more pics of that engine. I really want to see that intake.

I can't wait to see the engine he's rumored to be putting in now :)

If it's anything like tha allison C20 Turbine, that means up to 450Hp in a 200lb package. Of course he's got a little over 1 hour of fuel at full power...

>It was rumored he was putting in a turbine and that 13B is for sale.

Yes. The 13B is sold.

>Can you tell me where his intercooler is in these shots?

Yes. It's on the top shelf of the steel shelving in front of the airplane. You might catch a glimpse of it in a forward looking shot. :D

Seriously, I havent found a home for it yet. My cowl's going to be all heat exchangers. I have the large rad and 2 oil coolers mounted in the lower cowl. I still have to fit the intercooler on one side and tha AC condenser on the other.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

>Why not put the AC in front of the rad like all the cars do?

It's pretty tight in that area. No room above the rad because of the sump, and no room below because of the cooling fan. Besides, I'm not sure it's gonna cool the way it is. I'd rather be hot than have a hot engine. I'm thinking scat tube ducts off the main cowling plenum to feed the intercooler and condenser.

Ah. I just reread you're message. You were refering to the positioning of the intercooler on Greg's plane, not mine. I'ts been well over a year since I saw it, but I believe he had it horizontally in the wing root. Oil cooler in the other side. I think the intake was fabricated from a cut off stock unit. I wish I could see it again now I'm ready to do mine.

Bruce Turrentine has been working on an aviation 13B EFI intake system using [mostly] high temp fiberglass. I'm hoping to see a prototype at S&F.

Largeprime,

The Volvo D5 is a new kid on the block, and apparently has Mercedes, BMW, and Volkswagen/Audi crying in their breakfast cereal. Standard it is 160 hp, but some jermans make an ecu upgrade for 190hp. It is based on the T5 petrol engine which makes 300hp out of the box. Not much is available about the motor, and everything I have read is just hearsay from websites. It weighs about 165 kg without extras. I'm a truckie from way back, and worked on Roadtrains in Australia, several operators had 600hp stock motors turning out 900hp +. With a diesel you don't worry about detonation, because it's always detonating, when it stops you have to worry.

I'm reliably informed that the way to go is reduce the compression ratio severely, allowing a good increase in boost, big fat intercooler, ceramic coat the piston face, teflon coat the liners, put in the strongest rods, piston, and crank you can find. I'm hoping for maybe 250hp for take off, and then 170 hp cruise.

I used your Ray Hall turbo chart, it comes out spot on for my Skyline, but fiddling with the temperature did nothing. Again I'd say that it seems turbo equipment seems to work on pressure ratios, so adding a bit of altitude ruins sea level calculations.

Aaron

A kit car v's a cozy eh? I thought the speed limit was 50 mph in the states, you don't need a turbo mazda for that, or are you good friends with the local constable? My Skyline has my license hanging by a thread, I'd much rather have 250 Knots ground speed showing on the gps. Again about wastegates it seems they may work on pressure ratios. Maybe the manual one is not so crazy, look at all those switches in a 747!

If I said I was thinking about making mine a two seater mkIV, what would people say? I say this because I think the Volvo is relatively big and heavy, I don't want to squeeze the cooling, I want to fit a CSU propellor with reduction drive, a tricky twin turbo set up, an oxygen system, and even dare i say it a retractable undercarriage; and then head for the flight levels (250 KTAS at FL200 and 1500nm range ?).

I fly a Piper Arrow 200 rg, and the extra 20 hp over a 180hp Archer, added to the CSU and retractable gear make it a far superior aircraft. With a fixed pitch prop you have only one speed when everything is working efficiently, and as drag is a function of true airspeed, then the extra weight of a retract should pay off. The oxygen is obviously a neccessity above 10 grand.

Maybe I'm just lining myself up for headaches, but I quite fancy a plane that is regarded as "the dog's bollocks".

The Coconut King

If I said I was thinking about making mine a two seater mkIV, what would people say?

I'd say "go for it", but then empty space doesn't weigh much so build per plans, then see what the w & b looks like. You might find that you can carry 4 with no problem. 250 hp of grunt will get you off the ground regardless of weight. Maybe the landing speed goes up 5 kts. Maybe you won't be able to fill the tanks with a full load.

I quite fancy a plane that is regarded as "the dog's bollocks".

:D You'll have to explain this one to the Americans.

Just finished installing the walnut trim.....