Purchasing an Cozy with Aerocanard components

noodles

More than likely I am going to purchase a Cozy that has the full Aero canard quick build components. I've already talked to John about this and he has attempted to educate me about what I'm purchasing.

What I would like is to see is helpful information that will guide me in completing my purchase.

I've also talked to Jeff Russell about his part in this and wanted to get a third party's opinion.

Aero canard=Cozy MKIV +(prefab parts)

The reason an Aerocanard is not a Cozy is because, why? I'm assuming it's because there are "unauthorized" changes to the plans? If you deviate from the plans it's not a Cozy right?

I've read many sets of builders logs and what I don't understand is how all of the Cozy builders can make minute to major modifications and still call their project a Cozy. Has Nat approved all of these changes? What if I build the Cozy and have the wings outsourced by Aerocanard, does that mean my plane is no longer a Cozy?

It seems unfortunate to split hairs when the community is as small as it is.

I've read a couple of the Rutan books and this problem was resolved differently. From what I understand he did everything he could to accommodate the changes builders made. Yes I know that you just can’t have builders making changes willy nilly, but at the same time why abandon your flock because the want air conditioning and retractable gearing.

If I purchase the Aerocanard project am I going to be the redheaded canard stepchild?

Will I be forced to park with the Velocities?

:rolleyes:

Cozy IV project.

Redheaded Stepchild of The Canard Community :bad:

You should talk directly with Nat about the questions you have. There is a lot of bad blood between the two with most people taking sides and defending their beliefs based on hearsay. I do know for fact that if you want to make any modifications to the plans built Cozy, Nat requests that you not register it as such, partly being to protect the Cozy's safety record. Nat can explain to you the problems you face when modifications are made. He is alway's available via phone and willing to spend the time needed to clear up any questions or concern's you may have. By the way, cutting out the wings with a hot wire saw was easy and simple. We have done 4 wings and 4 canards. VERY REWARDING to see the airfoil come to life as you remove the cut offs!! If you can't do this easy task, you probably should not be building.:)

Dave Clifford

"The Metal Man" Musketeer

Vise grip hands and Micrometer eyes!!

Cozy MKIV Plans #656

Thanks Cliff,

I'm aware of the disconection between Aero and Cozy. I would like to try and take "sides" in this discussion. I just want to know the facts.

"By the way, cutting out the wings with a hot wire saw was easy and simple. We have done 4 wings and 4 canards. VERY REWARDING to see the airfoil come to life as you remove the cut offs!! If you can't do this easy task, you probably should not be building."

So if the wings are included in this project? I shouldn't finish it?

Maybe I opened the wrong can of worms. I know that numbers indicate a majority of the plans purchased will never reach completion.

I'm just trying to even up the odds.

Cozy IV project.

Redheaded Stepchild of The Canard Community :bad:

I would bet that partially completed planes purchased and planes started from scratch probably have the about the same completion rate.

The key is - Enjoy the build.

The good thing about the plans, I know I'm repeating myself and others, is that they are a teaching instrument.

You start off with simple parts and then move onto more complex shapes and layups, so that when the shapes are more difficult you have the skills to do the job.

In building, set goals that are not going to set you up for falure. For example, I will finish all bulkheads today if I have to spend the night in the shop. This is not going to always breed success.

I prefer, I will work at least 1 weekend day a week until the plane is done or I will work two nights and 1 weekend day a week until done.

These goals are attainable and success will follow.

The slave driver

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/