subaru on a velocity

dust

Welllllllllllllll, seeing a canard at an airport, is a solid gaurentee on which way I will walk next, and walk that way i did.

Let me start by saying that this was a bueatifully crafted bird and it looked fantastic until you get to the rear end with the HUGE cowling reguired to house the monster engine and systems.

I asked many questions, but two are appropiate here, what did the engine weigh and what was his top speed, the answers were 450 and 150.

The 450 didn't include the radiator in the nose.

The chance of a cheap powerplant is alluring, but to me at least, not at the expense of that kinda performance or load carrying ability.

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

Well, I know that, at Oshkosh they (velocity)had a sign on the plane that read 175 mph. I can see why now looking at the plane after the building i have done. Many little things and some not so little. Like the big ladder and the external elavator hinges and the scoops. But still, clean air to the prop is key in a pusher and the extra cowling i saw would seem to reduce that flow substancially. Also the time, he had been building 9 1/2 years. I gave him an out and sugested that he couldn't squeeze the build time in because he was busy at work, etc. and he said no, he was retired and worked on it almost every day, full time. I know it's hard to believe, but, most "kits" take far longer to build than the "plans" cozy.

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

I was leaning toward modifying a Subaru WRX engine until I read about the gains in aerodynamic efficiency vs. increasing HP. (I think it was on Slade's web site.) The same or less HP with much lower cowl drag is better than a big honking engine with a bulging cowl. That swung me over to the Rotary camp. After seeing the web site of the guy who did the ducted fan LongEZ (I forgot who that is, but he seemed to be having teething problems with the system not having unobstructed air access), now I'm thinking... twin small rotaries inside 34" duct fans on a V motor mount above the horizontal line of the strakes, looking to the world like a weird jet. 6000 RPM, no PSRU, very clean rear cowl, 2 for redundancy, no obstructions to the fans, Hmmm...

Does anyone know where I can get a pair of really small 110HP rotaries? :D

This ain't rocket surgery!