Does anyone know Charlie Airesman?

noodles

Hello all,

I’ve been digging through 2002 CSA’s articles and I’ve noticed Charlie Airesman has several articles on implementing his Subaru engine in his Verieze. On the January issue he indicated he was doing 230 mph with a normally aspirated engine. I was curious about the various modifications that he has made to it.

I would like to know where I can get additional information on the following mods.

I’m extremely curious on how he accomplished this changes and would like find a detailed story on the success of these mods. I’ve thought about emailing him, but I don’t want to intrude. Does any one know him? Maybe I could get an introduction from someone?

The most important is how he came about using a “Direct Drive” on his Subu.

Unless he is keeping his RPM’s low wouldn’t he end up over propping?

His prop extension looks like a small log that is attached directly to his flywheel on his engine. No PSRU!!! Is this possible, if it is I would think the rotary guys would love to bypass the gearing.

Foam and glass prop that he made in a mold. A detailed description of this process would be ideal

Composite engine mounts. Has this been done before, are there significant difference between the two assemblies. Is there a way to do stress calcs on a glass engine mount?

Thanks,

Nathan Noonan

Cozy IV project.

Redheaded Stepchild of The Canard Community :bad:

Apparently nobody has heard of him or they feel they may jepordize his privacy by putting me in touch with him.

Anyhow I just want to know about the mods. I'll try to contact him through other resources.

Thanks,

Nathan

Cozy IV project.

I guess I've been a little spoiled by the quick responses in past. I read a post regarding people revealing personal information about others. The big issues being anonymity. I attributed the lack of response to the subject of that post.

Probably jumped the gun a little.

Some how this guy has put together a direct drive for his Suburu engine. I thought that was a rather unique solution that bypasses the old speed reduction unit. Since I'm a fan of the 13b engine I thought that it would be something that I could possible implement into the standard engine conversion.

Cozy IV project.

There was an article in Sport Aviation about he and his Subbie VEZ about four months ago. The EAA web site has a search feature which would help.

I am putting a 13B in my long ez and tinkered with the direct drive issue for a bit. I settled against it due to concerns about the thrust bearing taking the additional load, and the inablity to get the prop RPM up into the 4000 range on the motor. Perry Mick has a direct drive Mazda 13B in his bird. Best of luck.

Matt Evans

Clearwater, Florida

Then, of course, there's always George Graham's [proven] approach - use a stock Mazda gearbox in second gear. I thought of doing that, but leaving all the gears in. Imagine shifting gears as you accellerate down the runway...., dropping into overdrive during cruise.... or even backing into a parking spot on the ramp.:D

I'll get enough strange looks and radio calls as it is as I drip evaporated water from the AC during taxi.

:P

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

Yea,

I'm not to sure about using an old or new transmission. I want something a little more meaty. I would hate to total out my plane because I forgot to shift or I missed a gear. The term reliability and transmission don't seem cohesive. I know a PSRU is actually a transmission, but It's designed to be in a aircraft, at least Tracy's Cooks is. It just seems more robust.

Anyhow this guy has a small log attached to his flywheel. The log is made up of fiberglass and epoxy. It's probably a foot in diameter. I just don't understand how that circumvents the over reving problem. Outer or inner diameter on a fly wheel is still going to be too fast wouldn't it?

The last CSA article quotes him as saying that everything is working just fine, he is knocking out 230 MPH. He also is also building a Cozy MKIV, and he has is making it into a twin drive. Each engine is sitting a little out from the centerline. He made composite mounts for those engines as well.

Cozy IV project.

Originally posted by John Slade

Imagine shifting gears as you accellerate down the runway

Imagine everyone else's reaction on the ramp when they hear you shifting gears. You'd likely give some poor old fella a heart attack. :)

Evan Kisbey

Cozy Mk IV plans # 1114

"There may not be any stupid questions, but I've seen LOTS of curious idiots..."

I finally got a hold of Charlie.

He said that he can do his direct drive because of how his prop is made.

He didn't think there would be enough thrust to use it on anything larger than a Verieze.

He was going to use twin subs on his Cozy but ended up changing to the 13b. He is going to use all of Tracy's gizmos.

Cozy IV project.