main spar cap weakness & corrosion

schaumr

Hello folks!

Although not a builder yet, I was wondering whether y'all were aware of the link below. I'm not sure how recent it is, but it details the spar cap weakness and some corrosion of the wing fittings found on a 20 year old EZ. Luckily the guy saw it before going up, but it's a bit of a wake up call. Spar cap might have been poorly made and the EZ might have seen some excessive G forces. How many 'Gs' is the COZY rated to, by the way?

Rob Schaum

Future builder

http://www.ez.org/corrosion.htm

Rob Schaum

Avid COZY admirer and eventual builder in MI

The RAF grounding notification about spar cap/wing attachment corrosion applies to the VariEze only. The wing attachment method is completely different for the Long EZ and Defiant. RAF did not build the Cozy, so it naturally will not mention the Cozy. But since our wing attachment method is like the Long EZ and Defiant, then you can infer that the grounding notice doesn't apply to Cozys.

Please be aware however, that the last section of the RAF grounding notice does mention a next-flight inspection for Long EZ and Defiant pilots to inspect for possible corrosion on the aluminum tube bonded into the inboard end of the ailerons. Again, the Cozy is not mentioned.

The Cozy designer has issued a reply to the Cozy group to check for aileron tube corrosion with each condition (annual) inspection. Let him know if you find corrosion.

....Wayne Hicks

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

What this post shows is very important, communication and history.

Both burt and nat know what is happening with thier designs and are informed of any problems, solve them and then communicate them to everyone through a variety of means, Nats newsletter is a must.

At this late date, very few problems are surfacing with the cozy, but when they do we are notified. No FAA/beech/cesna BS.

Just real solutions.

For example DEEP STALL.

Nat learned of the problem, modified his plane, throughly tested the change, and then informed everyone.

That was the biggest mod i know of, but there were others.

Mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/