fixing fuel tank leaks

John Slade

For you're entertainment today I'd like input on how to get gasoline out of foam.....

Here's the situation. After trying a freon sniffer, soap bubbles and just about every other method ever heard of, I gave up trying to find a VERY small air leak in one strake during building.

The strakes are now in final paint, polished with the trim work all done. Before installing the upholstery I put 10 gallons of fuel in the tank, and this morning I found my leak with no problem. :(

The leak is in the very front, lower corner of the tank where it meets the baggage area. I now have a brown fuel stain beginning there, covering half of the baggage area floor, and extending into the seatback about 2 inches.

Hicks. You're enjoying this, arn't you!

OK, If we can all ignore the noise from Hick's corner of the room....

I'd like some input on the best way to fix all this. Obviously, I've drained the tank. Will the fuel dry out with time (how long?), or do I have to remove ALL the affected foam. Comments, thoughts & suggestion please.

John Slade

Cozy IV (non-smoking)

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

An update for those who are interested.

I fixed the hole, refilled the tank and found another leak right by the drain valve. I fixed this and all is now well. The affected foam dried out fairly quickly. The total time on repairs was about 4 hours. About 10% of the time I spent looking for leaks during original construction.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net