Cozy MK IV

docg

I want you to know, I TAKE PERSONAL OFFENCE TO YOUR REQUEST!

It's an additude like this that makes airplane building look far more forboding than it is.

I'll put my wings up against any "professionally" made wings, they are strong and well made. I bet almost, and I don't like to use that word but almost nothing can be everything, all of the wings are that good!

By the time you get around to wing and spar building you know how to do it, the plans are an educational experience. The wings and spar are not particularly dificult, just moderatly time consuming.

Have you gone to the FAA and read accident reports that say "oh well another cozy fell out of the sky because of poorly made wings!!!!!!!!!!!!"

or "another spar fell apart on a long ez, when will builders learn that this is too hard to do correctly."

The plane is not "hard" to build, and the parts are easy to make correctly. They don't fall apart

Mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

Lighten up, Mike.

Its true that most, if not all wings / spars built by us beginners fly just fine. However, if I were paying good money to shave a few weeks off the build time I'd rather get products from someone who has proved his/her skills by building multiple sets. People like Dennis Oelman and Jeff Russell can build wings in their sleep. Its not unreasonable to give them preference when shopping for parts.

My 2c.

John Slade

PS - Jeff Russell (Aerocad.com) is another person to contact about prebuilt wings.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

understand - people don't build planes for a variety of reasons, one of them is because of fear of not knowing what they are doing. I wrote my reply 1/2 serious and 1/2 tounge and cheek.

The point that we builders and the flyers need to emphasize is that plane building is not that dificult, it just takes a little bit of time.

That doesn't mean you won't make mistakes along the way. But when we make a mistake it is clear and you won't end up with a bad part because you didn't realize it was bad.

For example, we have just made 4 wings and as you know the trailing edge wing root layup is a bear. It is the only part we have made that consistantly has bubbles in it.

But, as you also know, spotting bad layups is easy, they look airy and the tap test reveals them quickly. The repair is one of the reasons that foam/fiberglass is so much fun to work with, easy, sand/cut and feather bad area. Layup patch with at least 1" overlap, u bee done.

So when someone implies that something is hard for a first time builder to do well or safely, I'll jump in with both feet.

Mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

>plane building is not that dificult, it just takes a little bit of time.

True enough. Its just that if you're earning capacity is $100/hr, and you just want to own a Cozy, buying a well made set of wings, winglets and spar for $5k or so probably makes sense. If you're going to go that route, you might as well go to someone who's done it multiple times and learned a few things along the way.

>trailing edge wing root layup is a bear.

>Layup patch with at least 1" overlap, u bee done.

Until you come to fit the aileron linkage. I guarentee that you'll be "adjusting" that layup at least one more time. :)

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net