matco parking brake

mkiv_bldr

My parking brake is just above the electrical conduit outlet on the forward face of the IP bulkhead left side. It's actuated by a lever by my left knee. Note the fluid stains where I forgot to put teflon on the fittings. The actuator isnt finished yet. It needs some flox & BID for structure, a shrink wrap cover, a handle and a nut on the end. After the upholstery is in I plan to pop rivet a small aluminum guide with detents for on and off positions.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John Slade

post-3-141090151693_thumb.jpg

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

My only experience with parking brakes was on a Grumman I used to have 15 or 20 years ago. I've never been able to figure out what it's utility might be on an EZ or Cozy airplane. Like why would I need one. What do I miss out on if I don't have one?

Could someone enlighten me ? .... Jim S.

...Destiny's Plaything...

>Like why would I need one. What do I miss out on if I don't have one?

OK, Jim. You asked for it :)

Top ten reasons for having a parking brake in a Cozy:

10. Saves having to keep you're feet on the brakes during runup

9. Makes you feel less rushed during pre takeoff checks

8. Helps you remember what it was like to fly a 172

7. Stops the plane moving about the patio when you're working on the back end

6. Lets you stop REALLY quickly if you engage it before touch down

5. Gives you another lever in the cockpit to impress people with

4. Something to scratch you're left knee on during long flights

3. more weight at the front. Saves using ballast

2. Another place to check for leaks

and, finally, the number 1 reason for having a parking brake in a pusher......

Stops the plane running off by itself and ramming a hanger when you hand prop it on full throttle with no-one in the plane. Sorry, Jim. I just couldnt resist that one. :D

<... Stops the plane running off by itself and ramming a hanger ...>

I knew that one was coming before I even started writing. Basically, it saves me from doing something stupid that I [should] know better. :)

... Where else would I want them?

... I doubt it. If I feel rushed, I might tend to skip takeoff checks. If I feel rushed, why would I want to take EXTRA time to set and release a parking brake?

8. Helps you remember what it was like to fly a 172

... So far, I've never been blessed with nostalgia for a 172 :)

7. Stops the plane moving about the patio when you're working on the back end

... Good idea! And all this time I thought that's why God gave us chocks!! :)

6. Lets you stop REALLY quickly if you engage it before touch down

... Hadn't ever thought of that. Saw it done with an F9 once (long story ~ for next time we get together ...)

5. Gives you another lever in the cockpit to impress people with

... Another one I hadn't thought of ...

4. Something to scratch you're left knee on during long flights

... And yet another ...

3. more weight at the front. Saves using ballast

... Interestingly enough, I have come up with another much more effective (albiet much less creative) way to not need ballast ... :)

2. Another place to check for leaks

... That would be my most compelling reason NOT to ...

<... and, finally, the number 1 reason for having a parking brake ...>

Now that makes sense. Where the hell were you three years ago when I NEEDED that idea ... REALLY BAD ... :)

Jim, here's a "serious" reply to your comments...

... Where else would I want them?

... I doubt it. If I feel rushed, I might tend to skip takeoff checks. If I feel rushed, why would I want to take EXTRA time to set and release a parking brake?

Maybe it's just me, but I like to "park" the plane at the runup area, relax and think things through. Not just the pre-takeoff checks and run-up, but also the weather, the planned departure, my personal condition etc. etc. This may only take a minute or less, but its the time for the final go/nogo decision. If I have to keep my feet on the pedals, holding the airplane against the engine, then for some reason I'm tempted to move through these thought processes more quickly. Like I said. maybe it's just me.

>Another place to check for leaks

... That would be my most compelling reason NOT to ...

These few connections wont be a problem. Pipes never leak where you can see them.

• 1 year later...

I like to "park" the plane at the runup area, relax and think things through.

Did I say that?

I'm beginning to wonder if the parking brake was such a good idea. I'm finding out now that the last thing I'm going to be doing before takeoff is "parking" the plane. Time is temperature, and I need to get the bird off fairly quickly before she overheats. Dan's Cozy doesn't have a parking brake and, guess what, I never missed it.

At this stage the parking brake doesnt seem really very valuable.

Yeah,,,,Dust and I had some verbal-judo over the parking brake issue. When I was in flight training, I was trained to use it all the time. We all discussed the parking brake a WAAAAY long time ago and decided to go for them. I placed the order for all them brake parts,, then three years later after one is installed Dust says, "I don't think we need parking brakes! One more place for a leak to develop." O.K. Dust, yours can go with out, mine will have one. Dust comes back from Scottsdale,,, "We need those parking brakes!" We will have a nice lever on the instrument panel.

Dave Clifford

"The Metal Man" Musketeer

Vise grip hands and Micrometer eyes!!

Cozy MKIV Plans #656

I never flew an airplane in my life with a parking brake until I bought a Grumman Cheetah some years ago. Discovered that the parking brake was a failure mode, and like John S, that time is temperature. If the line for takeoff is all that long, I shut down to wait.

Originally posted by cncdoc

I guess I will have to think about a parking brake now. I wonder if I make an extra large speed brake so I can put my feet on the ground (Fred Flintstone style)

I think my approach will be to idle the engine down to 1000 rpm or below (or however low I can make it run at all). With a 2.85:1 reduction drive, that's under 400 rpm. That shouldn't take a whole lot of braking. It might just sit there all by itself. Certainly if I go close to the edge of the taxiway and put one wheel just off the pavement in the grass.

HEY......

I didn't hear anybody say anything about using a 'parking' brake when you "PARK" the plane at the end of the day.......!

(I know.....another smart a$$)

Love ya!

David Swain

Watch thine airspeed, least the ground come up and smite thee.......

David,

What ya gonna do, use the parking brake to hold down the plans for your Cozy on the ramp at the end of the day???? Oh, yeah, you haven't bought them yet.:D

All the best to you and your wife. I was happy to meet her. AND just because you have been to my office, doesn't mean you are not welcome in my garage. ;)

Chris

your friendly attorney (no, that is NOT and oxymoron):banana:

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

The main reason I can see for a parking break is when you taxi up to a parking spot, on a sloped ramp, the plane has a tendency to start rolling before you can get out.

In these cases, I have to quickly jump out and stop it from moving before it gets going too fast.

Regards, Nick

Charleston, SC LongEZ, N29TM, 2400 hrs

http://www.canardzone.com/members/nickugolini/

Makes sense, but how often do you do that?

I haven't used my parking brake since the plane left the patio. In retrospect I think I'd have left it out.

You haven't flown anywhere yet, either. I've flown into a number of airports at which the parking brake came in very handy. Given the minor cost and effort, it's more than worth it.