Surface Area of Cowling

noodles

Hello,

I'm interested in doing some heat transfer calculations. I have some interesting ideas regarding the ever-present cooling issues related to the rotary.

I am cozyless and have no available dimensions. I guess you could say I haven't taken the plunge yet. I was wondering if one of you fine aviators could provide me with a rough estimation of the surface area for the engine cowling. All I need is some off the hip estimations

I would also like to know what the average wind velocity generated by the prop as it idles. I don't need it after the prop, I need it prior to it. I understand that the velocity will vary as it gets closer. I figure any rough estimate across the engine cowl will be sufficient.

Thank you gentleman

Cozy IV project.

Redheaded Stepchild of The Canard Community :bad:

Hi,

I just measured the custom cowl I built for my 13B powered Cozy IV. See http://kgarden.com/cozy/cowl.htm for pictures. It seemed like 100 sq ft during finishing, but my ROUGH guess at surface area of the upper cowl is 12 sq ft, not counting 4 sq ft of area over the wing roots. The lower cowl has a little less surface area - maybe 10sq ft. plus another 4 sq ft under the wing roots. Hope this helps.

John Slade

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

Thanks, that should help out.

12 and 10 huh, thanks

You wouldn't know the answer to my second question would you. I would like to know an approximate wind velocity over the engine cowl when the plane is idling. I know that your plane isn't flyng yet, but figured someone else might now.

Cozy IV project.

Redheaded Stepchild of The Canard Community :bad: