Front seat space

Cozy and builders,

Having built the tub front seat area and instrument panel to plans it is my understanding that this arrangement may not be optimal for someone my size (amazon)and other large pilots.

Since this plane is for cruising the option of reducing the seat padding is out of the question.

Jeff Russel pointed out that you should be able to pick your knees up past the panel to adjust your position, stretch and to make getting in and out easier. After sitting in his plane I agree.

Hand in hand with this issue is the CG position.

I'm ready to take the Fein tool and remove the seat backrest and shift it back. How much?

I thought I heard someone mention tilting it forward but this seems problematic because my shoulder already is up near the lower edge of the longeron, therefor tilting would aggrevate this issue.

Also the instrument panel, can this be moved forward an inch?

Between the seatback, instrument panel and moving the canopy this tiny plane could be quite comfy, or even cozy :P

These mods (seatback and panel) should take about a weekend.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

i'm 6'3 and was fine in a standard cozy without the allowable 1" canopy raising -

Moving the seat back will change allot of dimensions and require constant recalculation

Also - thinning the seats with temper foam sandwich will still provide comfy deats

Mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

• 3 weeks later...

If a builder is over 6 ft 2 inches and long in the legs, we recommend using adjustable rudder pedals (a la Dennis Oelmann) on the pilot side, maybe also moving the pivots 1 inch farther forward, and a much thinner seat back cushion, maybe as little as 1/2 inch of foam. If that is not enough, we recommend moving the seatback back no more than 1 inch. If a builder is over 6 ft. 2 inches and tall in the torso, we recommend a thinner cushion on the bottom (we have 4-1/2 inches) and mounding the canopy higher. We have two builders who are 6 ft. 6 inches tall, and can easily live within those options.

Chrissi,

I went back 1.5". You'll find this will also give you a better fit for your arm to the stick. Being long armed/legged, I found I felt just a little cramped in the longitudinal direction in other Cozy's I've sat in.

Now, as to moving the instrument panel.... you may find yourself crowding the wheel well stuff. So make sure you complete the forward gear installation before you move it.

And yes... the Fein Sander will make the mod soooo much easier.

Jerry

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

• 3 years later...

If a builder is over 6 ft 2 inches and long in the legs, we recommend using adjustable rudder pedals (a la Dennis Oelmann) on the pilot side, maybe also moving the pivots 1 inch farther forward, and a much thinner seat back cushion, maybe as little as 1/2 inch of foam. If that is not enough, we recommend moving the seatback back no more than 1 inch. If a builder is over 6 ft. 2 inches and tall in the torso, we recommend a thinner cushion on the bottom (we have 4-1/2 inches) and mounding the canopy higher. We have two builders who are 6 ft. 6 inches tall, and can easily live within those options.

I am considering the purchase of a CozyIII but my son and I together weigh 380 lb. Is there any way of increasing the load limit for the front seats. Different Canard, moving wt. in the nose to the rear, or moving the pasenger seat back. Thanks Bela

I wrote Nat and asked him about the front seat weight limit on a Cozy III and this is his reply:

Dear Jon,

The Cozy III owner's manual states that the III prototype, with a light engine installation, had a maximum front seat weight of 340 lbs. It says that the maximum for each plans built III is determined by the weight and balance calculation. It says that the maximum weight cannot be extended by the use of ballast. If a plans-built III has a heavy engine installation, the maximum weight would, of course, turn out to be higher. However, there is also a size limitation to consider, and I believe two 190 pounders, even it the weight and balance allowed, would have a very tough time getting into the airplane, much less flying in it. Please post this because I do not monitor the forum.

Regards,

Nat

So there you have it. The limit, based on the W&B of the prototype, is 340 lbs. I had heard 360 in other places, which doesn't matter as Nat reminds me here -- you need to do a proper W&B on EACH plane. However, I am reading Nat's reply as saying that if you put a Lycoming 540 in the back (maybe a 360), then your only limitation will be max weight and cabin comfort. I assume the layup schedules in the front seat are very similar, if not the same, as the Cozy Mark IV, and so the same physical limits most likely apply to the Cozy III as well -- approx. 425 lbs.

Bottomline is that if you're looking at a "stock" per-plans Cozy III, then chances are that the W&B will not accept you and your son without some changes. So play with the weight and balance before deciding to buy. Yes, you can move the front seat aft, but you need to know by how much and how much work (and money) you're willing to put in. You might find yourself spending as much as it would take to get an unfinished Cozy Mark IV project off the ground.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV