Greetings from the Virgin Islands

Hey all, Vicente Cotto here introducing myself. (on and of again lurker) Thanks for all the great info shared here I look forward to learning much from you guys.

I'm debating between building a Cozy MK IV and a Defiant. I'm still a ways away from actually getting started so I'm still deciding which one is best for me. Plans are going to be Christmas gift from me to me.

Option One: The Cozy MK IV because its the Cozy MK IV ;-) (Love it all) Reason enough for me

Option Two: The Defiant because two engines. I live in St. Croix U.S.V.I. any 11 minute flight will be over open water.

* Monkey wrench in plans: I'm at least a year away from even starting building. "Might" be moving to states by then. So the Cozy is edging ahead.

Any how, thank you all sharing,

Vicente

If i was in your situation, I'd build the Cozy and carry a water-survival kit. :-)

A well-maintained Lycoming is simple and reliable. We don't see many well-maintained airplanes that just lose an engine and go down. Flying over the Chesapeake makes me nervous but then, so does flying over the moutains around Hazard, KY, or the Everglades. You make that 11 minute trip a few times and it'll become routine.

• Like 1

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

The Cozy and the Defiant are both huge projects.... but the Defiant.... wow I can't imagine.  Very few have been built, its just such a big project.  Its the Cozy x2....two engines ($15 to $30k each), two engine mounts($1700 each), two sets of engine cowls (at $800 a set), two FI systems (at $5k each), 4 ignition systems, 2 props, 2 prop extensions, 2 oil cooler ... huge canard, big wings... on an on.  

I bet you can build a nice Cozy for $50k if you scrounge.  A Defiant.... what, double that?  

Don't forget.... you can buy a flying Cozy or Defiant cheaper than you can build one.  Its a good option unless you really want the hobby of building (which I have really enjoyed).

I don't know how anyone ever finished a Defiant....

• Like 1

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem