Dragonfly Information

Jon Matcho

There is some good information about Dragonfly Aircraft types available on our sister site:  www.quickheads.com 

An email mailing list group is also available here:  https://groups.io/g/DragonflyList (which is also integrated into our Mailing List Feeds forum section)

Dragonfly plans and kits were available through Dart Industries, but unfortunately is no longer operational. 

You can download the Dragonfly Construction Manual here:

Edited by Jon Matcho
Added a link to the Dragonfly Construction Manual

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Question! Has anyone ever built a Dragonfly in retractable Mono Wheel configuration with smaller wheels at the tip of canard mounted on flex wands , similar to the first Europa.

Was watching in cockpit camera views of both types yesterday and it struck me it might be  able to be done and possibly a more suitable option on grass or dirt strips. Was also reading an article by the original  builders and sounded like they may have considered it as an option at one point.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jack McIntyre, Gore, NZ

4 hours ago, john mac said:

Question! Has anyone ever built a Dragonfly in retractable Mono Wheel configuration with smaller wheels at the tip of canard mounted on flex wands , similar to the first Europa.

Here's an old thread on the monowheel Europa.  The thing that caught my eye was "no differential braking".  A tailwheel airplane is already more tricky to control and without the ability to use brakes to control yaw, I imagine it could be a handful.  Never flown in one.  I have sat in a Europa and the wheel took up a lot of room in the middle.  Redesigning the whole fuselage to incorporate the bulk of the wheel would seem to be the first big problem.  When you make changes that big you might as well start with a clean sheet of paper.  

https://www.pprune.org/private-flying/377620-europa-xs-monowheel.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 3:32 AM, john mac said:

Was watching in cockpit camera views of both types yesterday and it struck me it might be  able to be done and possibly a more suitable option on grass or dirt strips. Was also reading an article by the original  builders and sounded like they may have considered it as an option at one point.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jack McIntyre, Gore, NZ

it would be a real handful, I know I have to use differential braking most of the time with mine, and I have the hoop gear. That being said I think the hoop gear is the most well suited for grass strips, but you’ll need a lot of runway if under 80hp.