Retractable Gear

No4

Originally posted by No4

I'm quite keen on the idea of retractable under carriage.

Is it possible on the Cozy?

It is definitely "possible", although Nat will recommend against it. Others have pointed out installations and web sites, although none of them are flying (yet).

I see aerocad sell a retract, and velocity, can their systems be integrated to the Cozy?

IIRC, the AC retract is the Infinity retract system (which, BTW, _IS_ flying on a number of aircraft, including SQ2000's and L.E.'s). The Velocity system is completely different - it mounts on the fuselage and retracts up and out, while the Infinity system mounts on the end of the spar and retract up and inward. The Infinity system is the only one that has so far been integrated into a COZY, although there's no TECHNICAL reason that a Velocity equivalent gearset couldn't be engineered into the COZY structure.

Thanks for the info guys. The Infinity rig looks very speccy, almost exactly what my minds eye had conjured.

What are they like as a company?

Any reports on what the gear is like operationaly?

Cheers

The Coconut King

Any reports on what the gear is like operationaly?

Cheers]

Brice Daunay installed the Infinity gear in his very modified Cozy. The plane is registered as "Viper" and it's been flying since 1997. Registered as N6227S.

Brice sold the airplane around 2000 to a Glen Taylor of Horse Shoe, North Carolina. You might try to contact Glen about the gear.

BTW, that airplane has a very nice 3 rotor Mazda engine installation.

Omar

Omar Filipovic
Kitplanes Magazine web editor

Jake, I do not have any performance numbers for you. Brice told me the engine develops 300HP and that there is a serious kick in the back upon advancing the throttle on takeoff. This was a twin-turbo motor from an RX-7.

I have a few photos of the plane, including shots of the engine and landing gear. I'll see if I can post them here...

Omar Filipovic

Tha Viper is a modified Cozy Mk4, although one wouldn't draw a connection based on the looks of the planes...

Brice did all sorts of modifications, gull wing doors, folding front seats, retracts, Mazda engine, fuselage shape and size.

I think the gear was an original item, not retrofit.

Probably the only thing that were built per plans are the wings.

Omar Filipovic

• 1 month later...

Demise? So this is no longer available, I take it? You'd think someone would have taken this concept and run with it... Unless his demise was somehow related to this system?

Evan Kisbey

Cozy Mk IV plans # 1114

"There may not be any stupid questions, but I've seen LOTS of curious idiots..."

No that’s not why he died. If you have access to the CSA newsletters and old CP articles, Steve Drybread is referenced throughout them and is well regarded as a knowledgeable canard builder.

He died via a canard departure. It’s a long story but the condensed version is that he was distracted with a phone call and a customer who inadvertently tipped the Berkut back on the prop. The bolts that retain the canard hadn’t been reinstalled. After replacing the broken prop he hauled out of there. The retaining pins sheared and the canard departed.

I’ve heard that his wife might be attempting to sell them through one of the co developers.

Cozy IV project.

Redheaded Stepchild of The Canard Community :bad:

I spent some time with Steve prior to his death and discussed his retract system as well as looking at it closely. He had a lexan viewing window in the bottom of the fuse so that you could see the attachment and retract hardware. He said he had well over 1000 landings and no problems. The design is very similiar to the Velocity and looked very good. He was still asking about $3000 for the system at the time. I've heard that his partners have taken over his EZRG business. His wife sold his plane early this year, for a very low price from what I've heard. It was a very nice bird, by the way. His craftmanship was excellant and he was very inventive.

Do you know who the contact person for purchasing the retracts?

I'm guessing Scott Swing? You wouldn't happen to have his contact info?

I would like to purchase the video they have and compare with Infinity.

I heard it was a decent system, it's obviously less expensive than Infinity.

The cost of the Infinity system is probably tied up in the Oleo struts and such.

David Orr sent me a decent word document detailing the pros and cons of several systems. Give me a holler if you want it.

Cozy IV project.

Redheaded Stepchild of The Canard Community :bad: