Choosing meaningful subjects - categorization

I like the idea of posts accumulated by subject. If the Cozy or C-A lists were that way, all of the accumulated wisdom on a subject like epoxy or finishing or baffles or interior lighting or instrument lighting would be at my finger tips (I haven't mastered Rick's search engine yet, so I think just adjusting how far back I go on a subject is more convenient). I do keep some archives of my own on stuff of particular interest, but they're awkward since many contain previous posts already saved.

My biggest problem with this forum is the lack of subject discipline (also a problem on the other lists, but not as severe IMO). Everyting goes on in the Coffee House. Perhaps if there were a way to move a post to another (more appropriate) area and edit the subject to make it a little more accurate. Of course that would involve someone to monitor these things and do the re-posting, but I believe that by and by folks would self govern better.

What would be really nice is if there were a list available of subjects already posted to peruse instead of always making something up on your own. A list of subjects to choose from would eliminate a lot of confusion and vague subjects.

How might we make something like that happen .... Jim S.

...Destiny's Plaything...

When John and I set the originally set the forum up we envisioned members posting messages to the appropriate areas. Currently, I think the coffee house does get over used, but with the small number of active members I dont think this is entirely bad.

Eventually when we have a lot more activity, I cant start moving threads to the appropriate subject areas.

Regards, Nick

Charleston, SC LongEZ, N29TM, 2400 hrs

http://www.canardzone.com/members/nickugolini/

Jim,

In case Nick didnt make this clear, it's very simple for the administrators to "drag and drop" complete threads into the appropriate catagory. We haven't bothered with this much yet, but as data accumulates it will be a handy feature.... unless, of course, we can get people to start the threads in the right areas in the first place... then we won't need it.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

Don't get me wrong - this is easily the best forum/list format I've ever seen. I never knew such a thing existed, but it's the perfect platform for a forum like ours. It's great for someone to come on board for the first time with a question about which epoxy system to use, or what kind of shop climate control he shoud get and be able to search for the thread on his subject, read up all of the accumulated wisdom and THEN start asking questions. It eliminates all the periodic rehashing of insurance, vacuum bagging, epoxy choices, paint choices, finishing techniques, etc. It simplifies research enormously.

<... we envisioned members posting messages to the appropriate areas ...>

Who wouldn't expect that with general areas pretty clearly defined

<... but with the small number of active members I dont think this is entirely bad ...>

It's currently a manageable problem, but a problem all the same. More people could make it an UNmanageable problem. Then it would be too late. I can't help thinking that right about now, you have a manageable number of threads to move/rename etc., a manageable number of members familiar enough with the system to be " easily trainable" and who would follow your lead and help you establish the "culture" of the forum.

<... unless, of course, we can get people to start the threads in the right areas in the first place ...>

That probably should have happened, possibly could have happened but sort of didn't happen. I think one useful tool would be a drop down list of all the subjects and threads and sub-threads currently in existence that would be available at post time to be selected for the subject line and thread to post to. That would tend to eliminate multiple threads on the same subject with vaguely similar names, and duplicate threads under different subjects. I haven't thought it out as well as you guys, and I don't know how to make it happen, but I can't help but think now is a real good time to start getting things organized the way you want them to end up - before it gets away from us.

I think that if you did it now, the current members would be much more careful where they posted, and newcomers would see a logical "thread/subject tree" when they came on board and fall right in step with the rest of the folks. The occasional errant post could be quietly moved to the appropriate location and everything would kind of straighten itself out.

I believe (hope?) .... :) Jim S.

...Destiny's Plaything...

>The occasional errant post could be quietly moved to the appropriate location

For example.... this one.

This was orginally part of "Forum Existence - Meta Discussion" but it got off track and became a discussion of how to make this forum work better. So... I split it off and moved it over to "forum tips" where it should be.

While this is fairly easy to do, I really dont want to spend my time catagorizing posts. I have a plane to finish. I'm sure Nick has better things to do as well.

So...Whenever you're about to hit the "new post" or "reply" button, think about what you're about to say. If it belongs under a different catagory, start a new thread in that area with a meaningful subject name.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

Other forums of similar layout often have a locked thread on the main menu titled "Important: Read this before posting."

It lays down the basic rules and etiquette for new members, and can direct them towards FAQs or give them an idea of how to find relevant information without having to start a new thread.

Something else that's simple for us to do is politely tell someone the proper category for their thread if they post it in the wrong area before it gets too much attention, or even "move" it for them by starting an identical thread in the proper category/subject and copying the pertinent information.

Just a thought.

Evan Kisbey

Cozy Mk IV plans # 1114

"There may not be any stupid questions, but I've seen LOTS of curious idiots..."

Jim Said:

> A list of subjects to choose from would eliminate a lot of

> confusion and vague subjects

Here's a list of appropriate subjects I cobbled together from various sources. Someone would have to get into the JAVA code of the forum or do some fairly tedious editing to incorporate a pop-up list, but at least it's a start in text form.

accidents

adhesive

air conditioning

air vents

airfoils

aluminum corrossion

aluminum info

angle of attack

anodize

antennae

armpit scoop

auto gas