Can she be salvaged?

Cunni5ac

Hi Everyone,

I am a pilot looking to build my own aircraft but have no experience doing so. I came across a listing today for an VariEze that a guy is trying to get rid of. Not sure if it was ever completed but the pictures will show the status now.

90 % complete with all Ailerons , gauge panel, engine cowls, canopy, disc brakes, most all the rigging has been done

Wanted to know if there is potential here (whether salvaging parts or restoring) or if I am out of my mind for even considering it.

Thanks in advance.

Charles

post-169331-0-52250400-1529636673_thumb.jpg

post-169331-0-04221400-1529636689_thumb.jpg

post-169331-0-88897000-1529636704_thumb.jpg

post-169331-0-61952800-1529636715_thumb.jpg

post-169331-0-78369100-1529636725_thumb.jpg

post-169331-0-64798200-1529636739_thumb.jpg

post-169331-0-19049100-1529636748_thumb.jpg

post-169331-0-57597100-1529636761_thumb.jpg

I came across a listing today for an VariEze that a guy is trying to get rid of. Not sure if it was ever completed but the pictures will show the status now.

A beat up Varieze, with deteriorated fiberglass/epoxy both inside and out, and no records of the build or who the builder is/was.

90 % complete...

and 60% to go. No engine, no systems, unknown wing attach fitting status (look up Varieze Wing Attach Fitting issues).

Wanted to know if there is potential here (whether salvaging parts or restoring) or if I am out of my mind for even considering it.

Anything can be done/repaired/fixed/completed. The question is how confident you would be in the result and whether it's worth the effort and cost. Since you don't know anything about these planes by your own admission, you are not out of your mind for considering it. If you DID know a lot about these planes, THEN I'd say you were out of your mind.

Walk away from this disaster of a smoking hole and look for a Long-EZ or COZY project if you want to finish something someone else started, or just start a build from the start yourself if this is the type of plane for which you're looking.

My $0.02.

• Like 1

Thanks Marc,

I figured it wasn't the best idea but wanted to verify with the community. So I appreciate your feedback.

Is there anything that could be pulled off fr what you see to get a leg up on a fresh build or would it be better just to start from scratch? The guy is asking $1k for it. Not sure if anything could be used as a template or mockup.

What a shame.  See that white fiberglass showing in your second picture?  When a bare glassed structure gets long-term sun exposure, the UV gradually erodes the resin out of the structure leaving the glass.  That airplane has sat outdoors for years.  You might also find the wing attach plates are corroded under the fiberglass--very hard to inspect-for.

You'd be much better off starting with something like this

http://www.canardzone.com/forum/topic/21972-sales-ive-seen/?p=61816

Check that thread for other projects out west.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Is there anything that could be pulled off fr what you see to get a leg up on a fresh build or would it be better just to start from scratch? The guy is asking $1k for it. Not sure if anything could be used as a template or mockup.

Maybe. Some hardware - axles, wheels, brakes, nose gear casting, firewall belcrank, rod-ends, etc. But it all depends on their state of corrosion and/or weather exposure. Might be worth something, might be a pile of crap.

What a shame.  See that white fiberglass showing in your second picture?  When a bare glassed structure gets long-term sun exposure, the UV gradually erodes the resin out of the structure leaving the glass.  That airplane has sat outdoors for years.  You might also find the wing attach plates are corroded under the fiberglass--very hard to inspect-for.

You'd be much better off starting with something like this

http://www.canardzone.com/forum/topic/21972-sales-ive-seen/?p=61816

Check that thread for other projects out west.

Yes, that one in San Diego looks more appealing. Thanks for sharing!

Maybe. Some hardware - axles, wheels, brakes, nose gear casting, firewall belcrank, rod-ends, etc. But it all depends on their state of corrosion and/or weather exposure. Might be worth something, might be a pile of crap.

He appears to be a motivated seller, maybe worth $100 for the whole thing to reuse and/or resale the parts. But then again, there is the aggravation factor...

Putting myself in new builder shoes, I wouldn't bother taking that situation if it were free or even if I would be paid $100 to take it.  :)

You would learn a world of skills if you were to spend a couple thousand, incrementally, and build up to what you see in that other project Kent pointed out (which is how projects are supposed to look in pictures -- kept inside).  On the other hand, many get into these projects, intending to build from step 1 only to later realize that it doesn't fit their master plan.  If you're patient and want to pick-up a project, you can find many in the $3,500 to $5,000 range.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV