VEZ75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Mark Leseberg
  • Utah

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:46 PM

Marc,

I am in the process of taking go pro footage and trying to understand this better. I will have a better report soon. Appreciate those questions, they made me think more in depth about what it is that I am feeling.

Mark

#22 Ron Springer

Ron Springer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Rockville, MD

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:41 PM

You won't crush the structure of the VE if the bushing was installed during the build process, but you WILL deform the bolt, possibly stripping the threads and/or stretching the bolt. 100 in-lb is 8 and a tiny bit ft-lb, so yeah - 10 ft-lb (not 10 ft/lb) is way too much and will harm the bolts.

Unless, like on my VariEze, a bushing was used that is too short. I think both bushings are around 0.77" long which matches F22 on one side, but on the other side F22 is 0.825" thick. Tightening of that side over the last 40 years has lead to crushing of the foam and cupping of the wide area washer under the bolt head. I made a new bushing of the correct length to fix it.

The reason for the difference in thicknesses is a build-up on the front face of F22, presumably to get the canard perpendicular to the aircraft centerline. Maybe the bushings were made prior to that and never adjusted to account for it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Stats