26 replies to this topic

#21 Kent Ashton

Kent Ashton

• Verified Members
  • 795 posts
  • Kent Ashton
  • Concord, NC

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:34 AM

maybe an AnP inspection on the engine, and if its good as is, I might just try to get the Cozy flying with this, use up the remaining 400-500 hours (which should be a good few years), and then invest in an IO-360 :)]

I just grin every time I think of the project and I wonder if I am getting ahead of myself...  :rolleyes:

Yep, you could certainly go that direction but A&Ps don't work for free and if you find rust or valve problems, you're back to putting a lot of time and money into a less-than-ideal engine and a prop for it.  If you had a logbook, you'd know a lot more.  For example, a flight-school motor that flew every day for 1500 hours is a much better candidate than the engine off an airplane that flew 50 hours a year for 30 years.

If you determine you want to use it, there are cheap ways to inspect it yourself.   Rust, cylinder wall condition, valve wobble, and spalled cams are things to look at.

http://www.vansairfo...=vividia valves

http://forum.canarda...31&postcount=40

http://forum.canarda...32&postcount=41

If those are OK, just bolt it up and use it.

OTOH, you don't need to get married to this engine just because it came with the project.  Even with no engine logs, if you can reasonably assure a buyer you've inspected for those things, this engine would sell pretty easily, I would guess, then you can get the bigger engine.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

#22 Cozy846

Cozy846

Composite construction Newbie

• Verified Members
  • 23 posts
  • Peter Swayze
  • Battle Ground WA

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:07 PM

Andrew & Kent

Thanks Guys, all this information has explained a great deal. I wasn't working in an Engine shop and we worked with what we had. 

I am sure there are certain engine types that are the best selections in these class of engines. Maybe a thread else where. 

Best regards.

#23 montun23

montun23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Manju Nag
  • Olathe

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:02 PM

All,

wanted to provide an update on this, I was able to move the COZY from DEtroit to Kansas over the last weekend. Used a 20 ft trailer, 82 inches wide. got wide load permits for all states, well, cops never stopped me anyplace, the drive was ok, wansnt too bad, a few construction zones were a little tricky. reached Kansas last night, no issues with the move, no damages.... Had wrapped the plane in moving blanket and shrink wrapped it... the shrink wrap was maybe not rqequired, but was hard to keep the moving blankets on.. had to use a LOT of duct tape (no taping anywhere on the surface of the cozy), and a lot of shrink wrap (but took about 30 minutes to unpack). 

Wanted to share this for those who might want to move a cozy again. below are the pictures and some details of what I did,

- COZY loaded with the nose in the front

main gear legs on the trailer axle (the bulk of the weight is still in the front of the trailer axle)

wiings laid next to each other with minor overlap of the trailing edhes (moving blanket and foam in between to prevent damage)

wooden studs screwed to the trailer floor and padded to stop the wings or other parts from moving

three 2 inch wooden blocks screwed one above the other used as "chocks" to prevent the cozy from moving back and forth

foam pads under the nose

ratchet tie downs in the spar holes to prevent aircraft rolling

tie down along the top of the gear legs to prevent cozy from buckling foprward for any hard braking

took us 13 hours to load the trailer and abot 3 hours to unpack...

feel free to ask questions if you have any

https://photos.app.g...mCxk0c4Fa111ZI2

#24 Kent Ashton

Kent Ashton

• Verified Members
  • 795 posts
  • Kent Ashton
  • Concord, NC

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:13 PM

Congrats!

It looks like you might be able to get the wings on in your garage.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

#25 montun23

montun23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Manju Nag
  • Olathe

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:05 AM

Congrats!

It looks like you might be able to get the wings on in your garage.

Thanks Kent, yeah maybe one at a time :P

There is a support pole right in the middle of the garage, which would maybe be RIGHT where the wing tanks are....

#26 Jon Matcho

Jon Matcho

Canard Zone Developer

• Verified Members
  • 2,453 posts
  • Jon Matcho
  • Martinsville, NJ

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:24 AM

Looks and sounds like a successful move. You have a lot of work remaining, but this is a great jump.

I just grin every time I think of the project and I wonder if I am getting ahead of myself...  :rolleyes:

I feel like that often. I think it takes completing and flying to have that feeling go away, I hope.  :)

Jon Matcho :busy:
Canard Zone Developer & Builder
Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Building Cozy Mark VI+ (widened rear)
www.canardzone.com/members/JonMatcho (I know, it's broken... for now)

#27 Don

Don

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Don Berlin
  • Tucson, Az

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:16 PM

All fits on a 16 ft trailer

Attached Thumbnails

• 4EB1F956-D64E-4AC1-8310-012E52FB01C5.jpeg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cozy, transport, project