Engine Cozy mk3Engine cocymk3
Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:38 PM
Eny One Who Can give a feedback regarding engines.
I have possibiliti to get a O-320 or a IO-360 for my cozy3
Positive / negative Comments?
Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:31 PM
I owned a C-III with an O-320 for a while. It was a good engine and HP for the airplane. IMO, an IO-360 is too much engine for the design.
- A heavier engine and prop is going to require more ballast in the nose when flying solo. I used 40-50 lbs of shot in my C-III/O-320 when solo. You'd probably need more with an IO-360. Aside from the problem of shuttling bags of ballast around, It offsets some of the advantage of the extra HP.
- Ground handling would be trickier. It would be easier to tip-back.
- The engine mounts (essentially Long-EZ mounts) were designed for an O-235 unless they have been beefed up. Even if they have, it's a lot of leverage on them with the heavier engine and HP hanging on angles that are about 10-12" apart, vertically. The C-IV has better mounts, IMO.
- The landing gear (Long-ez gear) is not as strong as the Cozy IV. Yes, people have put O-360s on the EZs but heavy EZs have problems with the attach angles getting loose. Some have problems with the strut sagging. The C-IV has a bigger, stronger MLG strut.
- The bigger engine is useful for takeoff and climb but your cruise will not be that much faster. You'll get there a few minutes quicker but . . .
- Your range might be less because you burn more GPH.
Edited by Kent Ashton, 14 September 2017 - 05:32 PM.
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users