Canard Zone discovery...

Stumbled on this site a couple days ago looking for info on the Long_EZE.

I'm 64 and unlikely to build anything but I subscribed to the CP back in the late 70's early 80's until it was finished. Always planed to build...

I flew sailplanes and then power (Cessna 152/172) back then. Never finished getting the power license as I was also racing formula cars. There was one of the early VariEZE's at the airport I flew out of.

Even though it is unlikely I will ever build or fly a Rutan designed canard, I'm still interested. Started racing again a couple years ago, then got too busy for that, plan to start back up next year.

Looking around the site (hours and hours of reading :) ) I don't see anyone near the Charlotte, NC area, but if anyone is, and would like a hand, I'd love to help. Free help is always good.:)

Barry

• 3 months later...

Since visiting with Kent (http://www.canardzone.com/forum/topic/32061-a-good-morning/) I've been rather busy and had little extra time. I finally managed to get up in a sailplane yesterday. I believe I was 19 the last time I flew in a glider, which would be 45 years ago. It was fantastic. So, I'll pursue getting a glider rating to prepare for what comes  later and as a hobby in itself.

I really appreciate the Canard Zone, just reading here I've learned a great deal.

• Like 1

You found a glider that would fit you?  :-)

I have the rating but never did too much with it.  Had the most fun in a German club for a year.  This german airfield (Hahnweide) had two tow planes and two winch launches going continuously on a weekend.  I think there were four clubs at the field.  The pilots flying Open Class gliders would take off from Hahnweide (near Stuttgart), fly down to the Swiss border, then over to the East German border and back.  600 km in a day.  One day I took off to fly a 30km out-and-return and I landed out---at a glider field about 1 mile from Hahnweide, too.  Very chagrined! 

The technology is pretty interesting.  In the background on this vid, you can hear the audiovariometer beep, beep, beep (lift) and WHOOoooo (sink).  That's how these guys could fly 600 km so easily.  He also seems to have a talking ADSB giving him traffic.   You can see the glider ahead dropping his water ballast.

Edited by Kent Ashton
  • Like 1

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Hello Kent,

I flew in a grob G103, lots of room believe it or not. Just headed out the door this morning for lesson two. That looks like a nice place to fly out of. I'm rather jealous of the places located where there is lots of wave lift. Last weekend a couple of Schweizer 1-26's went up and stayed up over 2 hours each in thermals. Low tech, but lightweight, they stay up rather easily.

I think what you heard is called Flarm, a collision avoidance system.

Barry