New guy in Arizona, gotten bitten badly by the EZ bug

Hello everyone, I'm a total newbie from Arizona. I have never built a plane, nor learned how to fly yet (in fact, I didn't find out about experimentals in general until a few months ago). I've dreamed of flying a Long EZ since I was a kid paging through a back issue of Air & Space, and ran across an article about the EZ-rocket that mentioned the LEZ. At that time I thought it was a kit airplane, and heard something about it be discontinued. So I was pretty sure I could never build one. Years later, I finally found that the Long EZ was always built from plans, and I could build one (or a derivative canard) with the right set of plans. Now I hope to actually fulfill that childhood dream and build a Rutan canard. I know I want to build some kind of plane, and while I've been drawn to other designs (such as biplanes) over the years, but I keep coming back to the EZ.

I'm not yet ready to start a big project like this, but there seems to be quite a bit to learn before building a canard. So, I see no reason not to educate myself now. I hope this is the right place to start! :)

Do a google search for "cozylinks"... you'll find links to many Cozy builder's web pages.

Search the archives here... there's a ton of great threads.

This forum here is one of many good sources of information for getting in to the EZ world.... Welcome!

Edited by Andrew Anunson
  • Like 1

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Thanks, that is an extremely useful link! I had no idea there were some many Cozy builder web pages. And thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm actually a bit torn between the Cozy and the tandem EZ. The Cozy has the advantage that plans are available and there seems to be plenty of builder support (and is clearly a very nice plane), but the tandem Long's fighter-like lines always appealed to me.Since RAF no longer exists to support the Long I'm interested in the Open-EZ project. I'm a bit confused by the scaling issues with the templates, though. I'd rather not have my choice made for me by availability of plans (or lack thereof), though, especially since the Long is just too beautiful a plane to just be allowed to die.

I suggest buying a practice kit like this. You can get familiar with the basic materials and techniques, learn a good deal, and decide if working with composites is right for you (assuming you haven't used the materials before).

I did this, and had a blast! Almost done with Chapter 5 (Aerocanard modified) now, and still enjoying it very much!

Edited by Voidhawk9
  • Like 1

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

I suggest buying a practice kit like this. You can get familiar with the basic materials and techniques, learn a good deal, and decide if working with composites is right for you (assuming you haven't used the materials before).

That's an excellent suggestion, I will do that. I have never used composites before so it's a good idea to try out the materials beforehand. And the kit looks like a lot of fun.

Best of luck with your Aerocanard! Very cool choice of project. BTW, are you going for retractable landing gear, and is this one of your mods?

Edited by Mechanizoid

...are you going for retractable landing gear, and is this one of your mods?

Yes. I have a number of planned modifications, after which I can't really call it an Aerocanard anymore. :)

(GMT+12)

Yes. I have a number of planned modifications, after which I can't really call it an Aerocanard anymore. :)

Wow, that is quite a number of mods you have planned. They sound good, but they must add some extra work. Do you feel that this extends the time required to finish your not-quite-an-Aerocanard?

I haven't really thought about Cozy/Aerocanard mods, but I do think some of the Berk-EZ mods are pretty cool. Especially that spit canopy. :)

I'm a bit confused by the scaling issues with the templates, though.

You need not be... it's really a non-issue as long as you read the first post of the Open-EZ sub-forum here. I can help you through this.

I'd rather not have my choice made for me by availability of plans (or lack thereof)...

Getting plans is just the first step. After that there are numerous hurdles. Imagine having "perfect" support... you still need to build the thing, which is the biggest challenge of them all.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Wow, that is quite a number of mods you have planned. They sound good, but they must add some extra work. Do you feel that this extends the time required to finish your not-quite-an-Aerocanard?

I haven't really thought about Cozy/Aerocanard mods, but I do think some of the Berk-EZ mods are pretty cool. Especially that spit canopy. :)

They do add extra time and work, and I'm not recommending anyone follow suit unless they themselves have researched thoroughly! I'm drawing up quite a few parts in CAD (just 2D drawings) to ensure things fit, will be precise, and if needed, reproducible. So far so good, but I'm so early on in the project - once it's flying we'll know if it was all worthwhile!

The split canopies look cool indeed. If one opens in flight you'll probably lose it and your prop, though. :) I'm going to install a forward hinging canopy, which has been demonstrated safe if it opens in flight.

(GMT+12)

You need not be... it's really a non-issue as long as you read the first post of the Open-EZ sub-forum here. I can help you through this.

Getting plans is just the first step. After that there are numerous hurdles. Imagine having "perfect" support... you still need to build the thing, which is the biggest challenge of them all.

Oh, so its not really a big issue? I was a bit scared of the big red warnings you put up here: http://www.canardzone.com/forum/topic/16835-introducing-the-open-ez-tandem-a-2-place-tandem-canard/?p=10450. Was this just to make sure that nobody just grabbed the templates and used them without reading the scaling updates post? I was also confused that the Rev5 download is still available here at Canard Zone despite the warning (I downloaded from here a couple days ago).

And thanks for the offer to help me through this! :) I'm not off to Kinkos yet, but I definitely have some questions before I go. As I understand it, you provided an x and y reference dimension on each drawing to help with scaling, but some are off by as much as 1 in. But if I print the affected templates using the corrected dimensions, the prints should come out the right size, correct?

I have some serious newb questions about these reference dimensions. Do they refer to the overall size of the printed template? I.e., when printed, A1 should be 23" by 16.5"? And how do I make sure that the printed templates are the right size? Do I have to use a specific sheet of paper? I've never done this kind of thing before. If there is a guide already up on how to do this please link so I don't bug everyone with questions that have already been answered. :)

For some reason getting the plans looked like the challenging bit but you are right. Building the thing will pose quite enough challenges once I have all the templates printed and scaled accurately. I probably still have no idea just how big a project I'm thinking of biting off.

Edited by Mechanizoid

They do add extra time and work, and I'm not recommending anyone follow suit unless they themselves have researched thoroughly! I'm drawing up quite a few parts in CAD (just 2D drawings) to ensure things fit, will be precise, and if needed, reproducible. So far so good, but I'm so early on in the project - once it's flying we'll know if it was all worthwhile!

The split canopies look cool indeed. If one opens in flight you'll probably lose it and your prop, though. :) I'm going to install a forward hinging canopy, which has been demonstrated safe if it opens in flight.

It'll be cool to see how your bird turns out when she flies (though that'll probably be quite a time from now!).

Yeah having the canopy open in flight would be a bad day in a Berk, better lock them down tight. The only other thing I'm concerned about is if the Berk's canopy blocks the passenger's view more than the Long's. It's still cool though. Speaking of Berk mods, I am reading the LEZ plans and according to them, retractable main landing gear is simply not worth the increased complexity and cost. Obviously RAF wanted builders to keep it simple and stick to the plans, but I wonder how retracts break down for a Berk-EZ and whether there is a noticeable increase in performance.

Edited by Mechanizoid

I have some serious newb questions about these reference dimensions. Do they refer to the overall size of the printed template? I.e., when printed, A1 should be 23" by 16.5"? And how do I make sure that the printed templates are the right size? Do I have to use a specific sheet of paper? I've never done this kind of thing before. If there is a guide already up on how to do this please link so I don't bug everyone with questions that have already been answered. :)

Never mind... just realized I forgot to read the README, duh. So I just print them out on an 18 x 24 in. piece of paper, check the reference dimensions using the corrected dimensions from http://www.canardzone.com/forum/topic/20540-important-update-regarding-open-ez-rev-5-templates/?p=47350 , and if it checks out they are good to go? Sounds easy enough.

. Speaking of Berk mods, I am reading the LEZ plans and according to them, retractable main landing gear is simply not worth the increased complexity and cost. Obviously RAF wanted builders to keep it simple and stick to the plans, but I wonder how retracts break down for a Berk-EZ and whether there is a noticeable increase in performance.

Well, the Long was originally designed with an O-235 engine. At the speeds generally seen, retracts would make some difference in speed (not the only benefit), whether worthwhile enough is up to the builder. I don't think anyone is building to mount O-235s anymore though, and the faster you go, the more potential benefit. The early Cozy was very similar in this regard. There was also some 'issues' between the retracts provider and plans provider which may have led to more advice to avoid them, but many of the grounds stated are not really valid for most people.

For me, I'm going fast and far, and the wider stance and oleos of the Infinity retracts also is of use on 'lesser' runways; big long stretchs of concrete are more rare here!

(GMT+12)

As I understand it, you provided an x and y reference dimension on each drawing to help with scaling, but some are off by as much as 1 in. But if I print the affected templates using the corrected dimensions, the prints should come out the right size, correct?

I think you got it from another comment, but just to be clear... the reference marks are not actually off by 1 inch. The issue is that, in those cases that are mentioned in that first post, you need to measure a different length (1 inch less in those cases).

The easiest and best thing for me to do to is just get Rev 6 out there! Every time I think of this I am reminded, so thanks!  :)

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I think you got it from another comment, but just to be clear... the reference marks are not actually off by 1 inch. The issue is that, in those cases that are mentioned in that first post, you need to measure a different length (1 inch less in those cases).

The easiest and best thing for me to do to is just get Rev 6 out there! Every time I think of this I am reminded, so thanks!  :)

Oh yes, I misspoke there. The length written on the templates is off by 1 inch, not the reference marks. That is what I mean to say (I knew it was the indicated lengths and not the marks that were the problem).

And yes, please, do get the Rev 6 out there! That will really help everyone who wants to build an Open EZ. :)