#1 Bryan Dover

Bryan Dover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Bryan
  • Spring Hill

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:57 PM

Hello, my name is Bryan. I've always dreamed of owning/flying a Rutan canard airplane. I purchased a LongEz project back in the 90's, a fuselage on the gear, but made no progress due to a career change, I finally sold it. I often wonder if the fellow I sold it to ever completed it, problem is I can't remember his name. I think the SN was 1989, not sure.

Anyhow, I'm married, no children and CSMEL with instrument privileges. I've flow a variety of airplanes but I learned when I flew for a living it became a job. That takes all the fun out of it.

I browse the internet every day for airplanes that perhaps I could afford to own. I came across an ad at a obscure website where a man was advertising a couple of Varieze's in his basement that he needed to move. It was within a 150 miles so I called him and arranged to meet so I could see what he had. I was pleasantly surprised to find a couple of dormant projects complete with all the hardware, foam and glass that was needed to complete both planes, plus some spares. (no engines, avionics, a few instruments) We negotiated a deal and I picked everything up this past Friday, 02.17.17. I believe I can have one flying in a year. I'm sure I will have lots of questions during that period so I will be on here often.

I joined the local EAA chapter, haven't been to a meeting yet. I need a DAR inspection to get my repairman's certificate. Already reserved N555BD.

I took a few photo's

http://www.fototime....ieze - 02.18.17

Attached Thumbnails

• My Varieze 083.JPG
  • My Varieze 080.JPG
  • My Varieze 079.JPG
  • My Varieze 078.JPG
  • My Varieze 040.JPG
  • My Varieze 030.JPG
  • My Varieze 016.JPG
  • My Varieze 049.JPG
  • My Varieze 051.JPG
  • My Varieze 031.JPG
  • My Varieze 020.JPG
  • My Varieze 024.JPG
  • My Varieze 022.JPG
  • My Varieze 015.JPG
  • My Varieze 037.JPG
  • My Varieze 043.JPG
  • My Varieze 014.JPG
  • My Varieze 047.JPG
  • My Varieze 002.JPG
  • My Varieze 045.JPG

Edited by Bryan Dover, 18 February 2017 - 11:11 PM.

#2 Kent Ashton

Kent Ashton

• Verified Members
  • 536 posts
  • Kent Ashton
  • Concord, NC

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:03 AM

Good for you!  Wow, a project from the mid-70's.   Looks like you've got most of what you need there so "flying in a year" might be doable.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-650 hrs, Long-EZ-55 hrs

#3 Andrew Anunson

Andrew Anunson

Chapter 21

• Verified Members
  • 323 posts
  • Andrew Anunson
  • Wise, VA

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:00 PM

Wow!  That guy was truly a collector.... it gave you a head start on building a Varieze.

If you still have to work a job, its gonna be tough to finish in a year.

I don't think you need to see a DAR about a reapaiman's certificate.  Just start building.  You don't have a plane that has been manufactured (yet), so there is nothing to see (yet).

After you finish the build you can get a repairman's certificate.

Andrew Anunson
I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

#4 Jon Matcho

Jon Matcho

Canard Zone Developer

• Verified Members
  • 2,370 posts
  • Jon Matcho
  • Martinsville, NJ

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:34 AM

Welcome "back"!  :)

You basically have a kit there, and my gut tells me you'll be in it for a bit over a year.  That's a great start though.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Canard Zone Developer & Builder
Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Building Cozy Mark VI+ (widened rear)
www.canardzone.com/members/JonMatcho (I know, it's broken... for now)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Stats