Question. Considering the Mark IV

vx44

Hi, there!

I'm a new pilot; well, almost. Should be finished by end of July. Just prepping for my oral exam.

I'm considering building a Mark IV but am a bit concerned about the cabin space. I'm about 220 and my son is every bit of that. The max weight for the front seat appears to be 400lbs.

Additionally, there doesn't appear to be a great deal of leg room. I'm 6'3 as is my son. Are there any modifications you can make to accommodate bigger, taller folks? Perhaps cut away the bottom few inches of the panel, maybe?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Eric

I'm 225; ha, sometimes 235. The front seat limit is a squishy number. It just means a slightly faster T/O and landing but if you plan to fly a lot with your son, something like an RV-8 might be better. If you only want to fly with him infrequently, a Cozy might be OK.

Front seat weight increases rotation speed. On a hot day with a full load, it makes a difference.

Rudder pedals came be moved around if you are a little handy. Armrests can be built so as to allow more hiproom.

Take a look at the Bearhawk. It can haul a lot.. Not ss fast but certainly a fun airplane, too

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

What about moving the front seatback aft a few inches, trading off cargo/rear passenger space?

I have seen a couple of Cozy-types with staggered front seats.  There was Steve Wright's one-off Stagger-EZ, for one (pic).  I think folks occasionally move both front seats an inch or two aft but then when you fly solo, you have to put more ballast in the nose.  I already use 40-50 lbs in front of the rudder pedals when solo.  I have flown it solo a couple times without any ballast but I am careful not to get slow and land a bit faster than normal.

post-126542-0-46687100-1466623081_thumb.jpg

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold