Looking at Cozy 3 and need a familerization pilot

kadzu8

Hey guys,

I just joined the forum as a recommendation from a friend. I am looking at getting into a Cozy 3, but I don't have any canard time and the guy that is selling the aircraft isn't willing to give any fam time. I have been researching, and looking at Cozys for a few years now and am at a place that I would like to get into one, but as most of you probably know insurance usually requires at least 5 hours familiarization time. I am an ATP with about 4000 total, and have flown a few other high performance experimentals, so I don't think it would take much, but I'm not willing to "just jump in and see how it goes". Will any off you, or anyone you know be willing to come check the plane out and then sit with me for the familiarization time? I'm in Amarillo, tx and the aircraft I'm currently looking at is near Memphis TN.

I am looking at getting into a Cozy 3, but I don't have any canard time and the guy that is selling the aircraft isn't willing to give any fam time. I have been researching, and looking at Cozys for a few years now and am at a place that I would like to get into one, but as most of you probably know insurance usually requires at least 5 hours familiarization time. I am an ATP with about 4000 total, and have flown a few other high performance experimentals, so I don't think it would take much, but I'm not willing to "just jump in and see how it goes". Will any off you, or anyone you know be willing to come check the plane out and then sit with me for the familiarization time? I'm in Amarillo, tx and the aircraft I'm currently looking at is near Memphis TN.

A few comments. First, before you purchase a plans-built EAB aircraft, you should have a Pre-Buy examination performed by a knowledgeable person. I do such PB's, and I can recommend a few other people as well. Do NOT purchase a COZY without such a Pre-Buy examination - you turn it into a crapshoot. I've performed 33 PB exams over the past few years - 13 last year alone. I also do Condition Inspections.

Secondly, while it's difficult to find a CFI to do transition training, there are a few out there. I have one in Socal that I work with closely who owns a COZY MKIV (and is a test pilot at Edwards AFB). Before I found him, I transitioned 15 - 20 people into canard aircraft myself over the past 10 years or so, but I'm NOT a CFI, so I do NOT do training. There are others that do the same in COZY's. However, most insurance companies understand that finding an appropriate CFI is difficult, and I've never had trouble getting the company to accept the flight time with me as a "familiarization" flight, although not "training". Generally, I find that it takes 5 - 20 takeoffs/landings to become safe.

I believe that I know the plane you're referring to, and while the folks that have been maintaining it have a good reputation and know their stuff, you cannot get an objective PB exam from the folks that do the Condition Inspections on a plane. Anytime a plane I've CI'd comes up for sale, I tell the prospective buyer to get a PB from someone else - I cannot be objective about my own work.

Be safe.

• Like 1

I am an ATP with about 4000 total, and have flown a few other high performance experimentals, so I don't think it would take much,

Just a caution: How much do you weigh?  I owned a C-III and I flew with fellows who were as stout as me (225 lbs) but it is not a great airplane for big people.   Nat and Shirley Puffer were little people.  If you are less than 200 you'd probably be happy with one.  Even with a couple of 225 hogs in the front seat, if flies OK but the landing speeds are higher and I would not like to do an off-airport landing with that forward weight.

With 4000 hours yourself, if you could get two or three landings in a C-III, or C-IV, you'd probably be comfortable flying off your 5 hours solo.  It is only the speed control in the pattern and landing that takes some getting used to.  Another thing to learn is to be very wary about ground handling the empty airplane.  It is easy to get a tipback if you are not paying attention.  My C-IV will sit on three wheels at some ballast situations but even a strong wind blowing into the canard can generate enough lift to cause a tipback.   Scared myself once with that.

Edited by Kent Ashton
  • Like 1

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

A few comments. First, before you purchase a plans-built EAB aircraft, you should have a Pre-Buy examination performed by a knowledgeable person. I do such PB's, and I can recommend a few other people as well. Do NOT purchase a COZY without such a Pre-Buy examination - you turn it into a crapshoot. I've performed 33 PB exams over the past few years - 13 last year alone. I also do Condition Inspections.

Secondly, while it's difficult to find a CFI to do transition training, there are a few out there. I have one in Socal that I work with closely who owns a COZY MKIV (and is a test pilot at Edwards AFB). Before I found him, I transitioned 15 - 20 people into canard aircraft myself over the past 10 years or so, but I'm NOT a CFI, so I do NOT do training. There are others that do the same in COZY's. However, most insurance companies understand that finding an appropriate CFI is difficult, and I've never had trouble getting the company to accept the flight time with me as a "familiarization" flight, although not "training". Generally, I find that it takes 5 - 20 takeoffs/landings to become safe.

I believe that I know the plane you're referring to, and while the folks that have been maintaining it have a good reputation and know their stuff, you cannot get an objective PB exam from the folks that do the Condition Inspections on a plane. Anytime a plane I've CI'd comes up for sale, I tell the prospective buyer to get a PB from someone else - I cannot be objective about my own work.

Be safe.

Hey Marc that sounds like excellent advice! I'm an A&P and have helped with a couple LongEZ projects, but haven't really spent any time inside a Cozy. I did talk to insurance and they said I wouldn't need a CFI, just someone that is "experienced" in that model to help familiarize me with the characteristics and habits of the aircraft in flight.

Just a caution: How much do you weigh?  I owned a C-III and I flew with fellows who were as stout as me (225 lbs) but it is not a great airplane for big people.   Nat and Shirley Puffer were little people.  If you are less than 200 you'd probably be happy with one.  Even with a couple of 225 hogs in the front seat, if flies OK but the landing speeds are higher and I would not like to do an off-airport landing with that forward weight.

With 4000 hours yourself, if you could get two or three landings in a C-III, or C-IV, you'd probably be comfortable flying off your 5 hours solo.  It is only the speed control in the pattern and landing that takes some getting used to.  Another thing to learn is to be very wary about ground handling the empty airplane.  It is easy to get a tipback if you are not paying attention.  My C-IV will sit on three wheels at some ballast situations but even a strong wind blowing into the canard can generate enough lift to cause a tipback.   Scared myself once with that

Haha no I'm 6' 2" and 175. I have heard a few sad stories of guys moving there plane in or out of a hanger and ending up with new tips or props. That would make for a very sad day. Has anyone ever come up with a tip back guard for ground moving?

Haha no I'm 6' 2" and 175. I have heard a few sad stories of guys moving there plane in or out of a hanger and ending up with new tips or props. That would make for a very sad day. Has anyone ever come up with a tip back guard for ground moving?

I hang a 25 lb weight in the nosewheel strut when it's on three wheels along with 50# of ballast in the nose that I use for solo flight (C-IV).  That is enough to keep the nose planted but once I was pushing with my shoulder against the strake to put some air in the tires and inadvertently lifted the nose.  Caught it in time but I had to hand-over-hand along the longeron until I could grasp the canard.  At only 175 pounds, you might be dangling and yelling for help.  :-)  When the nose is on the ground there is no danger.

Some guys have tried very heavy wheel pant ribs/mounts that they think will stop a tipback.  I don't know.  There is a lot of leverage on the pants when the nose gets high.  It will crack a set of normal wheel pants.  I believe Al Wick suggested a framework in the hanger that you would taxi the canard under that would stop a tipback.  Probably overkill.

-Kent

• 1 year later...

Just a caution: How much do you weigh? I owned a C-III and I flew with fellows who were as stout as me (225 lbs) but it is not a great airplane for big people. Nat and Shirley Puffer were little people. If you are less than 200 you'd probably be happy with one. Even with a couple of 225 hogs in the front seat, if flies OK but the landing speeds are higher and I would not like to do an off-airport landing with that forward weight.

With 4000 hours yourself, if you could get two or three landings in a C-III, or C-IV, you'd probably be comfortable flying off your 5 hours solo. It is only the speed control in the pattern and landing that takes some getting used to. Another thing to learn is to be very wary about ground handling the empty airplane. It is easy to get a tipback if you are not paying attention. My C-IV will sit on three wheels at some ballast situations but even a strong wind blowing into the canard can generate enough lift to cause a tipback. Scared myself once with that.

Can speed brakes be added, due to the faster landing speeds? Thanks.

The EZ family has a landing brake deployed at low landing speed to reduce float. No one i know of has used a true (high) speed brake and It would not help reduce landing speed with a heavy airplane. To land slow, reduce aircraft weight and be proficient. Good wheel brakes help

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent