varieze long ez hybrid question

James Bailey

I was chatting with a guy and he tells me he has a vari long ez...basically a varieze stretched a little with long ez strakes 

I did a Google search and didn't see anything pop up like that

have any of you heard or seen anything like that?...I have not seen the airplane but when I am in his neck of the woods you better believe I am going to go see

I was chatting with a guy and he tells me he has a vari long ez...basically a varieze stretched a little with long ez strakes 

Sounds better referred to as a "long VariEze".  

Do you know if it's flying?

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Can't imagine why anybody would do that and take the risk that it might work when a stretched LongEZ, either only the nose, or more involved fuselage stretch such as found on the LimoEZ and Berkut is well documented.

He sent some pictures ..looks like a full blown long Ez to me...not sure where the vari came into it

Previously flying...but no data plate, no logs, been stripped ..paint as well as the gauges etc...very long time since the o-200 has ran or it has flown...looks like a major project..an in person look would for sure be a better evaluation since pictures are never a good view..but at least a start

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can't imagine why anybody would do that and take the risk that it might work when a stretched LongEZ, either only the nose, or more involved fuselage stretch such as found on the LimoEZ and Berkut is well documented.

Can you point me towards such stretch mod documentation?  I found Ed Lovrien's page talking a bit about the LimoEZ on EAA 517's site, but that was all.

Dave

Can you point me towards such stretch mod documentation?  I found Ed Lovrien's page talking a bit about the LimoEZ on EAA 517's site, but that was all.

I doubt you will find any plans but if you are thinking of stretching (widening?) an EZ, it'd be fairly simple.  For example, a Cozy III is essentially a widened Long-ez; C-III wings are the same as the EZ's.  A C-III canard and centerspar are a few inches wider.  However, the only good reason I can think of for stretching an EZ is to get a little more shoulder room in the back seat and to make a little more space to accommodate dual controls.  

My wife does not like flying in the back of an EZ.  Much prefers the C-IV and building a C-IV is about the same amount of work as building an EZ.  In a C-IV you can carry something--luggage, camping gear, tool kit, cover, spar tire--that you can't get in an EZ.  Also building a C-IV is probably less work than building a widened EZ because there is less head-scratching involved to make the changes.

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Dave

Google Sam Kriedel and Joe Berki for LimoEZ and Dave Ronneberg for Berkut. 

Documentation? Some research required.  :)

• Like 1