What did YOU DO on YOUR plane today?

Even if it's one word...I want to know!  I scan these boards and build sites relentlessly searching for updates.  I find a lot that are half built and the last post dates are YEARS old.  i'm rooting for all of you!  I wish I were where you are already!  Keep it going! :D

I fell at work two weeks ago in the snow, tried to catch myself with my left arm, and it slipped on the ice as well, went behind me and i've torn my rotater cuff, so NOW, i'm reading more than ever.  Still working though... light duty/managerial stuff mostly.  operation to come in a couple of weeks.

What have you done to your plane lately?   :huh:

• Like 2

I appreciate your post because the better the participation, the more people will participate.

I wonder if you have read all the Cozy newsletters on Marc's site.  Also, the old Canard Pushers are interesting

http://marc-borom.com/LongEZ/CPs_1_to_82.pdf

Lots of info there and a word-search will bring up things.  Many years ago, a fellow names Stet Elliot laboriously went through the CPs and extracted all the info according to chapters.  This is what is on Borum's site.  For example, the "Canard" chapter contained every CP blurb discussing canards but Elliot did not have the technology to extract pictures.  What a tome!  If you want to see pictures, the CP PDF files are here

http://www.cozybuilders.org/Canard_Pusher/

Terry Schubert's Central States Newsletter is good but Terry does not put his back issues in the public domain.    

Are you accustomed to using Google Images?  Google does not seem to index even 10% of the images related to Cozy but often, an image search will lead you to info you didn't know about.

Marc has done a good job of documenting Cozy-related info.   There is some good info on EZ.org and the other canard forum.  

It's a long process to build a Cozy and if you try to incorporate every good idea you see, it can really extend the build time.  Good luck with your arm.

• Like 1

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

On 2/6/2015 at 5:13 PM, Kent Ashton said:

Terry Schubert's Central States Newsletter is good but Terry does not put his back issues in the public domain.    

And why doesn't he? If it were not for contributions from hundreds of builders who've submitted articles and photographs without remuneration, would there even be a newsletter?

On 2/6/2015 at 7:37 PM, AVI said:

And why doesn't he? If it were not for contributions from hundreds of builders who've submitted articles and photographs without remuneration, would there even be a newsletter?

We can't really fault Terry for not making all his newsletters public.  They have been a service to canarders over the years and it is no small task to print and mail 700 issues every quarter.  Heck, any magazine these days costs $5-7 so his subscription is reasonable.  If he has 700 subscriptions at $25 that's $17500 less his expenses.  He isn't getting rich on it.  If he had to pay people for content, there wouldn't be any CSA.

Just appreciate that there are people like Terry, Jon, Marc, and John Slade who support the canard community. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

I was going to join the CSA a couple of weeks ago, but Terry was on vacation.  I'm going to join this weekend.  If he (Terry) takes the time to compile the info and put the thing together, I have no problem paying for the subscription. 

I have been reading the Cozy newsletters and the canard pusher NL's, been checking and doing the update to my plans set as well.

I just wanted to see how things are progressing with everyones builds...maybe create a spark in someones progress?!

i've about worn out my hard drive on Mark Z's site!

Its great to see some fresh, new enthusiasm  for the canard. You are on the right track and there is a wealth of info and people on the forums to help out. Any subject you want to read about is out there!

This is one of the main reasons I am taking on my project. I have found almost every part I need and the only thing holding me up is getting my house sold and moved back to N.C.. Plus, I know there are a bunch of people out there to advise me.

Once I get there and get a shop set up, I'll go W.O.T. and I am planning on having as much parts as I can sitting there waiting on me rather than me waiting on them.

As far as any other progress on my part, I had my second lesson yesterday and it was another exhilarating time. I didn't do as well as the first time as far as holding altitude and heading, but I still learned a lot and we even did some "hood" time with the instruments only. That was some white knuckle time again but I loved it. I even sucked at taxiing and that really upset me. I just don't have the feel for it quite yet. The controls are a lot more sensitive than a race car and its just going to be seat time to cure it. My instructor is great and is always upbeat about everything. 

Its a challenge for me and it makes me engage and push myself and its just what I need after all I have been through!

OK, keep us posted on your progress as well as everyone else thats lurking. If your not working on your project, maybe this will get ya movin again!!!!!!! POST IT UP!

~~~tg~~~ 

• Like 1

"Time flys when your building"

On 2/7/2015 at 9:44 AM, magnum said:

I even sucked at taxiing and that really upset me. I just don't have the feel for it quite yet. 

Quite normal, I assure you! It's a spring linkage on those, right? Really quite awkward at first; You'll master it with practice. Then you'll get into a bird with a hard linkage, or free castoring, and you'll feel like an idiot again at first. It's all part of the fun and challenge!

• Like 1

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

On 2/6/2015 at 5:13 PM, Kent Ashton said:

I take this as just pointing out that Terry's CSA newsletter is good, but one cannot freely search the actual content of back-issues; not a knock against Terry.

On 2/6/2015 at 7:37 PM, AVI said:

We should not fault Terry at all for however he wants to handle his newsletters.  There is an absolutely overwhelming amount of work required to produce each issue and with real expenses required to do so.  As Kent points out Terry isn't getting rich.  He's barely offsetting the costs required if he sets his hourly rate at minimum wage or less.  Personally, I would prefer that Terry WOULD make money so that he'd have more options to pass onto the community.

Terry and I have been discussing options for back-issues. In the meantime the articles are searchable and they can be purchased.

• Like 1

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

On 2/7/2015 at 1:33 AM, Kirk Taylor said:

I just wanted to see how things are progressing with everyones builds...maybe create a spark in someones progress?!

Good post Kirk, posed with your question I was compelled to think about an answer that was not an excuse (work, too cold, not enough time, etc.) Unfortunately, for this week that's all I have but am making efforts to organize my life and time to make more room in the coming season.

Hope your arm heals up!

Thanks Jon,

I guess life does take some doing, and i'm in the same boat...doing updates on paper is easier than fiberglass layups in a garage.  

Anyway, just trying to keep everyones pilot lights lit!

• Like 1

On 2/8/2015 at 9:17 PM, Kirk Taylor said:

I guess life does take some doing, and i'm in the same boat...

I've come to learn that in order to finish anything of this magnitude one needs to have their sh*t together, personally and professionally. This a hobby with a long view.

...doing updates on paper is easier than fiberglass layups in a garage.

Sure, but there's still time involved and it's as important -- perhaps more important -- than the layups themselves at this point. Use the time you have to think-through your next steps. Work area (garage, basement, living room...). Work surface (4' x 4' piece of 3/4" smooth plywood). Chapter 4...

Anyway, just trying to keep everyones pilot lights lit!

Speaking of heat (pilot lights; I know that's not exactly what you meant), make sure you have a nice warm shop to build in this time next year. Winter should be known as "building season", but unfortunately for me this year it is somewhat "waiting season". I can't work in the cold, at least my hands cannot.

• Like 1

I've been taking a break from my lower cowling work and completed most of the gear legs/wheel pants over the past few days.  Yesterday I cleaned the garage and sat in the plane for a good 15 minutes... just because.  Get well!

Edited by Dave Anderson
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...

Greetings gentlemen!

It's been a long time since I've been here, but i'm back.  The shoulder operation and then a computer crash kinda let the air out of my balloon for a while.  

Since my last visit, I've had my shoulder operated on, and due to the way I fell on it, it had several repairs needed, the bicep reattached, and the muscle under the shoulder blade repaired as well as the rotator cuff tears. It SUCKED! 

We bought a house in Fountain  $$$$$$$(not as close to KFLY as I had hoped), but I have 5.5 acres of space and a nice big hangar, er BARN/garage!  And being that we were living in a fifth wheel for three years, we had to fill the house with furniture $$$, do some small repairs $, and just bought a new car $$, and just spent a week and a half in southern CA for Thanksgiving with my family $$$. Oh, and I have a laptop again $!

Got the plans dug out and have about a third of the updates to finish, trying to get all the info I lost downloaded again, planning the workbenches and making my shopping lists.   

Talk at you all soon!  Jon, Rick, Magnum, Kent

• Like 1

Better late than never @Kirk, but it's good to know your surgery was a success. Sounds like it was absolutely awful, but good thing you had some good distractions.

Getting back to the spirit of this thread, here are some updates from my end (there's progress in here if you squint your eyes).

I have been on a mission to eliminate the noise from my shop (my attached garage), getting rid of anything I no longer need and organizing what I do. I committed to getting the garage insulated and upgraded for all-out building this year, year-round, and the clock is running out. Still, it feels great to see much more wall, floor and table space. The honey-do counterpart of this is that I need to refurbish the small barn we have, which serves the purpose of what a garage would typically store (lawn mowers, my Cozy project in the attic, etc.)  I also have a storage tent, which I have replaced the 2nd cover in about as many years from when we purchased the house. A month after the first replacement a tree feel on it, ripping through the cover and damaging the structure. That's been fixed and now holds some things that won't fit in the barn, along with a Quickie Q2 kit that I need to package up and make available for sale (since I already have a Quickie Tri-Q200 project to finish).

I also did a repair to a Glasair III door which was messed up when the owner attempted to install it. Apparently they couldn't wait for my schedule, but now they're clearly 2 steps back. So I have this door needing some finish work in my shop. I wish I had nothing to do with it. It's one thing to say, "yeah, I can do composite repairs", but another when it comes to finish-quality exterior repairs -- it's very time-consuming.

It's been said many times to spend time in your shop every day, even for 15 minutes. I have been practicing this as much as possible and feel like I have regained the path. I need to write down the steps as if it were a project plan, and keep true to that. All other hobbies need to wait.

How about someone else? What did you do towards your plane/project recently?

I have wrapped up the majority of all work I wanted to do on my VE before I take it down to Covington to visit Robert & Ryszard for its condition inspection and getting it back in the air.

Most recently I installed the SkyBeacon ADSB and Artex ELT.  I put the ADSB in the nose, mounted to the battery bracket, and the ELT on the backseat floor.  I have also added secondary headphone/mic. jacks in the headrest triangle. I am going to update my other post soon with latest pictures of N40LC.

My current plan is to trailer it down to Covington in September.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmckinney10 said:

Most recently I installed the SkyBeacon ADSB and Artex ELT.  I put the ADSB in the nose, mounted to the battery bracket, and the ELT on the backseat floor.

Will the SkyBeacon unit be blinking in the nose while it's on? I understand you cannot turn off their lighting function (?)

Good luck with your next steps... looking forward to your updates!

Today I transferred funds to my dedicated project account. I've accumulated enough there to keep me going for some time building airframe.

Being that I am travelling in the USA at the moment, I'm not getting much building done, but I am getting a lot of inspiration visiting other builders and flyers!

• Like 1

(GMT+12)

We're spending most of our time in SW Michigan, but presently in Georgia as part of a road trip that took us as far south as Orlando, FL. Took the kids to LegoLand, you see. No queues there at present! :D

• Like 1

(GMT+12)

'They' told us it was impossible. Turns out it's perfectly possible if you set your mind to it. Much like building your own airplane. ;)

Yeah, it's hot. It's winter back home - not missing that!!

(GMT+12)

On the CSA:   The DIRECTORY that you get in January is worth more than the annual cost of the newsletter.

What if you happen to land in Wink, Texas, Searchlight, CA, or Madras, OR;    if you keep the newest directory in the canard,

you can look through the directory to see if someone lives around there and might help.   We all have some epoxy, etc.

I remember when some canard owner TOOK A PART off of his airplane to get a guy home (the guy sent the part back by UPS or

Fedex or some way.   Terry S. also started the "canard taxi" system which lists some guys that an get you home in the directory.

In each newsletter there is a listing around page 20 of the state representatives.   So, if you are down in some far away state,

you probably can just call the state rep.    He will know of canard guys that may not even be in the directory.

11 hours ago, Jon Matcho said:

Will the SkyBeacon unit be blinking in the nose while it's on? I understand you cannot turn off their lighting function (?)

Good luck with your next steps... looking forward to your updates!

You can turn the light off with the app.  Only light on is a tiny led showing power.

I saw Marc Zeitlin last Friday and he mentioned he has installed the lower cost uAvionix echoUAT on several Ez's.  I am going through a C'172 rebuild that need ADSB, so I may move the tailbeacon to that and eventually get the echo veraion for the VE.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2020 at 11:21 PM, bmckinney10 said:

I saw Marc Zeitlin last Friday and he mentioned he has installed the lower cost uAvionix echoUAT on several Ez's.

Thanks for that... I am looking at that same unit.

On topic of this thread, as it was getting late in the day yesterday I realized I hadn't done any work in the shop so I put myself in there and looked around for what would move the ball forward. After 20 minutes I had managed to claim 1 more unit of floor space by eliminating more "stuff". I also wrote down the next steps I need to do on my composite side project to get that out of my hands.