Ordered plans today...shipped this afternoon!

Kirk

Merry Christmas to you then, congratulations on your milestone!

The plans are a good read, but don't get overwhelmed. Take a look at chapters 1-7, with 1-3 being the intro/education chapters and chapter 4 being the first "official" building chapter (you'll build practice stuff in chapter 3).

You could order the practice materials kit (less "the book") from Aircraft Spruce or Wicks to do the chapter 3 parts to get a feel for what's in store.

Post a pic once you get the plans -- always a good sight to see.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Merry Christmas to you then, congratulations on your milestone!The plans are a good read, but don't get overwhelmed. Take a look at chapters 1-7, with 1-3 being the intro/education chapters and chapter 4 being the first "official" building chapter (you'll build practice stuff in chapter 3).You could order the practice materials kit (less "the book") from Aircraft Spruce or Wicks to do the chapter 3 parts to get a feel for what's in store.Post a pic once you get the plans -- always a good sight to see.

Thanks Jon!

I'll post pics when they get here. I'm hoping to get my 17yo son involved, but time will tell. (Wonder if he would be interested in a long ez though.)

I wonder if this is the first set of plans sold/bought so far this New Year?

I like technical reading (my wife must think I'm nuts) I can have this thing assembled in my head before I get my hands dirty.

Noticed the plans went up in price right after my buy....509.00 now.

I'll do chapter 3's practice kit...getting the feel for what's in store is a wise plan!

These folks (below) are not far from you. I imagine they wouldn't mind letting you see some work in progress. I would suggest building a bulkhead and getting a critique on it. It is not hard or complex work but first-timers sometimes make minor mistakes. In my case I was sqeegeeing too hard and getting a starved layup. Good luck.

http://www.freeflightcomposites.com

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

These folks (below) are not far from you. I imagine they wouldn't mind letting you see some work in progress. I would suggest building a bulkhead and getting a critique on it. It is not hard or complex work but first-timers sometimes make minor mistakes. In my case I was sqeegeeing too hard and getting a starved layup. Good luck.http://www.freeflightcomposites.com

I don't mind constructive criticism at all, and in this case I would welcome it!

I'm looking forward to getting out to Meadowlake and looking up a few of the folks out there! Weather here this time of year is too unpredictable to plan anything.

You should receive a video titled 'Building the Rutan Composites' which is an educational video demonstrating how to make composite parts. It's thoroughly outdated in terms of production quality, but much of the content remains as essential viewing.

You should receive a video titled 'Building the Rutan Composites' which is an educational video demonstrating how to make composite parts. It's thoroughly outdated in terms of production quality, but much of the content remains as essential viewing.

Looking forward to it...should be here Wednesday! I'll keep reading what I can till then.

• Like 1

I'm dying to see the plans kit too. I called AS today to ask a couple questions and was very disappointed. I've since been able to call and talk with a couple friends and get answers to a few of my questions, but the person I spoke to just didn't know much about anything I asked. If it's not online it's not in the system and he couldn't tell me. This time next week I should be pulling into my hotel parking lot in Oshkosh and getting ready for the EAA composite construction class in the morning. I thought having the kit ordered today would give me something to study the day or two before class. For example, there's a discount available for attending the class, does that discount apply to the kits? No one knows.

Please do share your plans package.

• Like 1

Sorry gents, I actually had to work today and have been very busy this week!   But I bring tidings of joy and good news...

The plans have arrived...

BEHOLD!

post-168753-0-37539800-1421548252_thumb.jpgpost-168753-0-73899500-1421548256_thumb.jpgpost-168753-0-90437400-1421548259_thumb.jpg

I guess its time to get started on the plans updates from the newsletters.  I wonder how come they haven't added the to the plans?!  Maybe that's part of the learning process, I dunno.   I guess it forces you to become familiar with the plans.  I also think I'm gonna have another set of the full-size prints, printed up at Kinko's for the sake of backups in case I FUBAR something.

Watched the Burt R. video that came with the plans...  just try not to get cut by the late 70's sideburns and giant collars on the groovy shirts...and are those GASS shoes he's wearing!  LOL  but it is very informative and I will watch it several more times!  They actually make it look easy as eating a cake.  remember...peel-ply is your friend!  

I can hardly wait to get started!

Edited by Kirk Taylor
  • Like 1

The plans have arrived...

Did the kit include the owners manual? I saw that listed as a purchase option. Also wondering if the "Cozy M Drawings" are any different? I assume they are in the kit. Are they just a second copy to save you the trouble and allow you to cut up a set? They don't break down the contents of the kit on the AS web site.

Does anyone know the contents of the "COZY CHAPTER 3 PRACTICE KIT"?  I'll be attending the EAA composit class in a week, but I'd be interested in knowing what's in that kit. I'll likely skip it? But no one at A.S. could answer that question even.

Did the kit include the owners manual? I saw that listed as a purchase option. Also wondering if the "Cozy M Drawings" are any different? I assume they are in the kit. Are they just a second copy to save you the trouble and allow you to cut up a set? They don't break down the contents of the kit on the AS web site.

Does anyone know the contents of the "COZY CHAPTER 3 PRACTICE KIT"?  I'll be attending the EAA composit class in a week, but I'd be interested in knowing what's in that kit. I'll likely skip it? But no one at A.S. could answer that question even.

It does include a copy of the "owners manual" and the larger sheet you see in the picture on the right are the "M drawings", There is also a CD that has all the newsletters up to #91, Oct. 2005, and a DVD of the composite construction, they come with the plans order.

Any later newsletters are online I do believe.

I guess its time to get started on the plans updates from the newsletters.  I wonder how come they haven't added the to the plans?!  Maybe that's part of the learning process, I dunno.

That is a good question. I assume you have plans Revision #3 (from February 2002) which are the same as mine purchased over 10 years ago, which just means they haven't incorporated all of the newsletter changes you now need to do. That's not an insurmountable problem, but having not been updated in 13 years is telling of what you can expect for the next 10 years from Aircraft Spruce in terms of plans updates and actual Cozy-specific support.

I also think I'm gonna have another set of the full-size prints, printed up at Kinko's for the sake of backups in case I FUBAR something.

Good idea. Another option is to do it yourself by using large sized tracing paper you can purchase at an office supply store.

Also wondering if the "Cozy M Drawings" are any different? I assume they are in the kit. Are they just a second copy to save you the trouble and allow you to cut up a set?

I purchased these as well, which are "full-size" versions of the "M drawings" (I don't know why they're called 'M' drawings, possibly a pre-ANSI name) stitched together so that you don't have to go through the business of matching up left/top and right/bottom sides of two different pieces of paper. Not necessary, but worthwhile.

remember...peel-ply is your friend!

Yes, it is far better than sanding!

*Somebody* at Aircraft Spruce will have to answer that question at some point to fulfill an order, but yeah, frustrating. Try Wicks and see if you get a similar response.

There is also a CD that has all the newsletters up to #91, Oct. 2005, and a DVD of the composite construction, they come with the plans order.

Any later newsletters are online I do believe.

There are no other Cozy newsletters, #91 is the last one: http://www.cozybuilders.org/newsletters/ 

I can hardly wait to get started!

Indeed!  You're enthusiasm is infectious.  :)

Practice kit:  It was OK in the early days of moldless-composite building when people didn't really know or trust what could be built from fiberglass & epoxy.  Today it serves no purpose other than to waste your time.

Bulkheads are the first items built.  They are easy to build and there is almost no way to screw them up so bad you can't use them.   You can build them on a _flat_ piece of plywood on the picnic table so if you find you're allergic or just don't care for the process, you haven't wasted weeks building work tables, glass storage boxes, hot boxes, etc. 

If you want to practice on something, a hotbox would be a useful item.  I suggest one two-cans high with a shelf.  A 40W bulb is about right.  Something like this one but with a shelf:

http://www.epoxyschool.com/blog/?p=1102

Other ideas here:

epoxy hot box

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Practice kit:  It was OK in the early days of moldless-composite building when people didn't really know or trust what could be built from fiberglass & epoxy.  Today it serves no purpose other than to waste your time.

I didn't do the practice chapter myself, but I don't agree that it's a waste of time. I had done prior fiberglass work on models, visited a number of builder projects and participated in a few building and layup sessions, read the plans, watched the video, etc., before deciding to jump into building bulkheads. For anyone who hasn't cured fiberglass I'd suggest doing the practice pieces unless you want your first practice to be on your real pieces.

Eric, you won't need to worry about the practice kit or the practice chapter after attending that class.  Jump right in.

Bulkheads are the first items built.  They are easy to build and there is almost no way to screw them up so bad you can't use them.   You can build them on a _flat_ piece of plywood on the picnic table so if you find you're allergic or just don't care for the process, you haven't wasted weeks building work tables, glass storage boxes, hot boxes, etc.

Great advice, and gives you time to figure out what you really need for the next few chapters. That's exactly what I did as well. I built all my bulkheads on a 4'x4' piece of finish-grade 3/4" plywood. Later I built 4 worktables from these plans, modified to be 2'x6' and bolted together.

That is a good question. I assume you have plans Revision #3 (from February 2002) which are the same as mine purchased over 10 years ago, which just means they haven't incorporated all of the newsletter changes you now need to do. That's not an insurmountable problem, but having not been updated in 13 years is telling of what you can expect for the next 10 years from Aircraft Spruce in terms of plans updates and actual Cozy-specific support.

Good idea. Another option is to do it yourself by using large sized tracing paper you can purchase at an office supply store.

I purchased these as well, which are "full-size" versions of the "M drawings" (I don't know why they're called 'M' drawings, possibly a pre-ANSI name) stitched together so that you don't have to go through the business of matching up left/top and right/bottom sides of two different pieces of paper. Not necessary, but worthwhile.

Yes, it is far better than sanding!

*Somebody* at Aircraft Spruce will have to answer that question at some point to fulfill an order, but yeah, frustrating. Try Wicks and see if you get a similar response.

There are no other Cozy newsletters, #91 is the last one: http://www.cozybuilders.org/newsletters/ 

Indeed!  You're enthusiasm is infectious.  :)

Jon, tracing the M drawings might be interesting, especially since I have no place to build YET, I might just trace them, i've got the time.  We're looking at some property in the Falcon/Peyton area wich just so happens to be where Meadow-lake airport is and its close to work.

As for the plans being updated, the Feb 2002 date is just a reprint date I think,the Cozy NL33 is from April of 1991.  eh, ohwell... The Plans are MINE, there are many like them, but this set is mine!  I wake up thinking about building this flying machine!

I hope to see everyone here at OSH, KY, or some other airport across the country someday!  

This is gonna be cool!

If you want to practice on something, a hotbox would be a useful item.  I suggest one two-cans high with a shelf.  A 40W bulb is about right.  Something like this one but with a shelf:

http://www.epoxyschool.com/blog/?p=1102

Other ideas here:

epoxy hot box

Kent, I guess if someone wasnt sure how to do it, it might be a good idea...the money spent on that chpt 3 kit could nearly get you the chpt 4 kit though!

I've done fiberglass layup before, just not over foam.

I've been thinking about a Glass cabinet on rollers so I can take it where I need it instead of trying to maneuver everything (wings, fuse) to the correct angle to lay glass.  

I like that hot box with the scale between the two bottles!

We're looking at some property in the Falcon/Peyton area wich just so happens to be where Meadow-lake airport is and its close to work.

A criteria for my current house was to have room to build a plane. (hint) ;)

As for the plans being updated, the Feb 2002 date is just a reprint date I think,the Cozy NL33 is from April of 1991.

The February 2002 date might have been a reprint date at one time, but the plans you have are Third Edition plans and incorporate (or should) all newsletters up through #72. You can verify, but you should focus on #73 and forward. Join Marc Zeitlin's Cozy Builders group if you haven't already.

I wake up thinking about building this flying machine!

You have been bitten, or hooked, or under the spell of the Canard Mystique. Be safe. Your significant other may not share your insane aspirations. Don't get a divorce.

I hope to see everyone here at OSH, KY, or some other airport across the country someday!

OSH is always a stretch for me. If I miss it I make sure I build a lot that week. Colorado is one of the more popular states for canards, so you should be set.

This is gonna be cool!

Right?!  :)

• 6 months later...

Hi Rick, how's the project coming along?

I live near Academy and Union, have a LongEZ that's going out to the hanger at KFLY next week. You and your family are certainly welcome to come take a look. Also, I'm sure that you've been out to Freeflight by now, great folks

719-660-9945

- Bill

• 4 months later...

I don't know where everyone is, but as long as this site is here...i'm posting!

Continued with the updates, progressing slowly but surely!  Doing a lot of reading too!  All this "PREP" is probably more complicated than the actual building!

Anyway, You all have a good Thursday!  Talk to you soon!  

Kirk