Understanding the Parts Lists and/or Kits

Kirk

I know, it's a newbie question, but I have to figure this out for my peace of mind and the sake of my household budget (nevermind a plane budget).

I downloaded AS & S parts list however it doesn't list prices, only quantity of said part. I understand that as prices are constantly changing.

I went to their website and under the plans heading http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/kitspages/cozy.php.

They show hardware kits, wood kits, fiberglass kits, foam kits, metal kits, epoxy kits, this kit, that kit,and then they have everything listed by "chapter".... my question is what's the difference? Do you need all the kits and chapters, can you just start with the first few chapters, and will you still need the kits at some point, or are all the kit parts incorporated into the chapter sections? I've seen that most start with chapters 4-7.

It's going to cost around $40K (Min) to build a Cozy.  It's at least $25K without the engine and prop.  The AS&S kits don't include all the Cozygirrl parts you will need.  Many of these can be made but it does take some machines.

http://www.cozygirrrl.com/aircraftparts.htm

Nor does the AS&S kit include the Featherlite cowls and main & nose landing gear strut, Sabre Prop Extension, Nose Lift, or Todd's Canopies canopy.  It's easy to hit $40K.

The best you can do to estimate the cost is ask people what they spent to get flying.  I put $40K in a recent Long-ez project.

You can save a lot by buying a project; they are not worth much until they're flying.   These days, you can buy a flying airplane for not much more than the cost of materials.

However, shipping costs are killer these days, so it is better to order the whole AS&S kit at one time.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

One more thought:  The Long-ez builders of the 80's are aging-out and selling.  You can buy a pretty good Long-ez these days which will give you some good experience with canard airplanes.  If you still want a Cozy, you'll be able to sell the EZ for what you paid for it and it will give you a better idea how to equip your Cozy.  Perhaps airplanes will sell for more if the FAA passes the drivers-license medical rule and more people get back into general aviation.  With a purchased Experimental, you can still do all the work on it and modify it to your liking.  You would only need to get an A&P to do a yearly condition inspection on it.

That's what I did: Bought a flying Cozy III and flew it for a few years until I finished my Mk-IV.  I learned quite a bit from that.   A mistake I made was buying a high-time engine but at least, I learned how to overhaul and engine.   :)

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Good questions.

I went to their website and under the plans heading http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/kitspages/cozy.php.
They show hardware kits, wood kits, fiberglass kits, foam kits, metal kits, epoxy kits, this kit, that kit,and then they have everything listed by "chapter"...

Confusing isn't it? That was actually a test, and you recognizing it as a mess means you passed.

Interestingly, Wicks Aircraft Supply used to have a Cozy kit as well but I can no longer find it.  Still, they're another good supplier to consider.

...my question is what's the difference? Do you need all the kits and chapters, can you just start with the first few chapters, and will you still need the kits at some point, or are all the kit parts incorporated into the chapter sections? I've seen that most start with chapters 4-7.

Basically, they list kits organized by Chapter or by Material.  Do NOT buy all the kits listed.  Starting with Chapter 4-7 kits is a good idea (which is what I did). The idea of paying as you go, asking for Christmas and Birthday gifts along the way, etc., was appealing to me.

You might consider FIRST buying the plans along with a Practice Kit from 'Spruce or Wicks. Chapter 3 of the Long-EZ/Cozy plans is all you need for practice documentation (essentially it is the "Moldless Composite Sandwich Aircraft Construction" book by Rutan).

What Kent is suggesting is entirely valid as well -- consider that.  Another option is picking up an abandoned project.  Most tend to become available after builders complete chapters 4-7 and are usually a "steal".

If you're set on the Cozy, be sure to check out the Cozy mailing list (you can see a feed of that here).

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I couldn't figure out the "chapter kits", nor the wood/fiberglass/metal "kits" either.

The first few chapters are basically glass, epoxy, and foam. Find/order a full roll of BID and full roll of UNI, and a pile of foam. As you progress, order all the nuts/bolts/gizmos you'll need for the next ?? chapters, plus a few extras just in case.

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.