Preview posting?

Is there some way to preview a RESPONSE or QUOTE to a post before posting it? For proof-reading, etc? Other fora allow this...

Yes, and this forum has the feature as well.

I only see preview on a new post here - am I missing it?

Yes, it's somewhat hidden.  When replying to a post, look for and press the [More Reply Options] button (located at the lower-right) at any time to give you that and other options.

BTW, because of this mild confusion, this is exactly the reason why there needs to be a time to allow editing of one's post after posting.  Presently that limit is 15 minutes.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

BTW, because of this mild confusion, this is exactly the reason why there needs to be a time to allow editing of one's post after posting.  Presently that limit is 15 minutes.

Thanks. So, in other words, if the forum fixes this bug so that you can preview from the first screen, you'll remove the ability to edit posts?

There are two features discussed here and each are not dependent on the another.

So, in other words, if the forum fixes this bug so that you can preview from the first screen,...

It's not a bug, but a remnant from before WYSIWYG (rich text) editing was the default.  Earlier forum software did not have robust rich text editing capabilities, practically requiring the need for a Preview mode to see how QUOTE tags, as an example, would render in the final post.  With this software and its default editor you do not really need Preview mode as you can toggle between Rich Text Edit and Standard mode (toggle.png) as well as stretch the editor window so you can see your post as it will appear.  Furthermore, the forthcoming upgrade to this software does not include a Preview mode at all.

...you'll remove the ability to edit posts?

To be clear, you're asking to remove the ability for members to edit their own posts for up to 15 minutes after posting (nobody here can edit other's posts).  Personally, I appreciate this "edit window" feature; the ability to press the button and look at the post in full context within the forum (however suits me).  I look for extra (or too few) line breaks, image alignment, spacing, and general whatnot before walking away and declaring it perfect (which takes me anywhere from 5 seconds to 5 minutes based on how much is going on).  

Going forward I can see reducing the current edit window limit from 15 minutes to 5 minutes, but don't see the benefit as to why the membership as a whole would want it set to 0 (or no chance for editing at all once a post is made).

Edited by Jon Matcho
Removed an unnecessary blank line

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV