Sales I've seen

This from ebay.  Builder spent 22 years building.  After 90 minutes of flight the engine quit.  FAA found sanding dust in the fuel filter and fuel injection spider.

The interesting thing to me is if it is rebuildable.  The main damage is that the landing gear tore out of the MLG bulkhead on the right side, a lower winglet and a wing have some damage.  My impression is that it's all fixable.  I would remove the bottom around the MLG bulkhead and firewall, saw the bulkhead(s) out, sand away the many overlaps and replace the  bulkheads.  The other repairs do not seem too formidable.  You might have to replace the instrument panel.  Yeah, it's a big job but easier than building from scratch?  Probably.  It looks like $15K to $20K worth of materials.  Interesting to see what will happen to this one.

post-126542-0-88002400-1511038829_thumb.jpg

post-126542-0-67641800-1511038858_thumb.jpg

post-126542-0-11710700-1511038882_thumb.jpg

post-126542-0-91922900-1511038902_thumb.jpg

post-126542-0-35877500-1511038922_thumb.jpg

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

I see that the Cozy above went for $5800.

This Varieze looks like the owner took care not to beat up the parts.  Wings in cradles, etc.  If the tanks are leaking, a worst-case solution is to saw the strakes off and rebuilding them.  Not a small job but very doable, I would think.   I wonder if he used mogas?

My friend who wrecked his Cozy and tore the nose off almost back to the instrument panel has got it rebuilt with a new canard.  His work looks pretty good.  It just shows what can be done, starting from zero builder-experience.

post-126542-0-43298500-1511617071_thumb.jpg

post-126542-0-38003400-1511617100_thumb.jpg

post-126542-0-54052500-1511617120_thumb.jpg

-Kent

• 2 weeks later...

What a pig-in-a-poke!  Aircraft is in Florida.  Owner/seller in Wisconsin.  Can't find the log books.  Out of inspection.  Needs paint.  "MOH" that sounds more like a repair-as-necessary then sat for 7 years.  FAA Registry for N39DT shows it's still registered to a former owner.  Oh yeah, and mis-spelled "VariEze".  Talk about a project!

post-126542-0-63455900-1512483562_thumb.jpg

post-126542-0-37206900-1512483593_thumb.jpg

post-126542-0-48532400-1512483623_thumb.jpg

-Kent

The reference to the 210-D Revmaster engine may be a typo, meaning that the ending is a 2100-D.  I could be wrong, but those engines are very serviceable and inexpensive, potentially by automotive professionals.  Plenty of experiences out there from other Quickie Q2 flyers that have flown the same engine (although the favored engine today is the Continental O-200 in that community).

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Now this is interesting.  [Formerly] Jet Velocity.  Seller says

Velocity, XL RG. Formally powered by a T-58 Jet engine. Selling this aircraft as parts only for the estate. This aircraft first flight was successfully flown by a test pilot in 2006. Unfortunately, on it's second flight which was flown by the owner builder without jet experience, the aircraft landed 100 feet short of the runway. Aircraft was repaired with factory parts and successfully flown several times by a test pilot in 2009. The owner builder passed away in 2010. so I am helping sell these airplane parts as a lot, "No engine", "No avionics", but does include a factory cowl that was never installed. Hangared since new. Pictures are as of recent.

The damage caused from landing short was to the landing gear, left wing and canard. Both were replaced with factory replacements instead of building a new wing and canard.  Fuselage skin had some damage that was repaired. The inner structure from what I can see did not have any repair work done, there is no interior so it's easy to look for damage. I am not a builder so please have the aircraft checked yourself, these parts are being sold "as is". 

Fuel capacity is 100 US gallons. Though the owner builder repaired the fuselage, replaced parts and had the airplane successfully flown. The estate does not want any liability issues since it did have a landing short of runway incident. So aircraft is being sold "as is", "as parts only", "No registration", "No airworthiness certificate", "No engine", "No avionics". Engine already sold. Hangared at Sullivan county airport NY (MSV). "Will need to be disassembled and transported with a special trailer due to width". Storage for 1 month included to arrange for shipping. After 30 days $275 per month until picked up.

NTSB Report says

The pilot/owner/builder departed on his first solo flight in the homebuilt, jet-powered, Velocity Jet 900 airplane with no jet airplane experience or training. After takeoff, the airplane climbed above traffic pattern altitude at "4 to 5 thousand feet-per-minute" and accelerated above 200 knots on the downwind leg of the traffic pattern. The pilot reduced power to flight idle to descend and complete the traffic pattern for landing. The airplane was "low" on the base leg of the pattern, the pilot advanced the throttle, the engine did not accelerate, but continued to run at the flight idle setting. As the airplane approached the runway, "I got too slow, lost control, and crashed 100 feet short of the runway." Examination of the wreckage revealed the fuel tank vent was clogged with dirt and insect remains. There were no other deficiencies noted.

Ouch!  Tough way to log .1 of turbine time.    When an aircraft has been deregistered, it is possible to re-register it by producing a bill-of-sale--if the seller will agree to give you one--and applying for new registration.  I have seen a couple of airplanes that sold like that.  Without proving a chain-of-custody, it get's much harder.  To the FAA, it's just a repaired airplane.  There should be no barrier to getting a new Airworthiness Certificate if an inspector finds it airworthy. 

post-126542-0-31504700-1513346891_thumb.jpg

post-126542-0-05359200-1513346927_thumb.jpg

post-126542-0-16603800-1513346955_thumb.jpg

-Kent

-Kent

It's Distressed Aircraft Week at CanardZone.  This Velocity today.  Seller says

Velocity 173 FG completed in 2000.  A few years ago the pilot was flying to Phoenix and experienced an engine failure.  During forced landing, aircraft came in contact with a fence post and aircraft landed in an alfalfa field which broke the landing gear. I purchased the wings and fuselage with the intent of rebuilding the airplane.  My current job gives gives me little time to build, so the project has sit for a year.  I have purchased a new canard bulkhead, front and rear landing gear.  The canard was fine, but during the inspection I found a delamination that was unrelated to the forced landing which has been repaired.  The left wing has a lot of damage and is missing the winglet , and the right wing looks okay and only needs a new lower wing let cover installed which I have.  If it were me, I would purchase a new wing kit for the airplane to feel confident which will require cutting into the strake top or bottom behind the CS spar in order to drill the new bolt holes.  It also needs all new electrical and engine install kit.  This project is not recommended unless you have composite experience.  Trailer and shipping jig included.  No warranty or garuntee.  Buyer assumes all risk.

I dunno.  Yeah, repairable but no engine, electrics, and might need new wings.  Those trailers are worth $1000 though.  I think one could find a Velocity project for a little bit more and you wouldn't be saddled with the history of a rebuilt wreck.  Lots of buyers ask "Any damage history?"

post-126542-0-67631200-1513608701_thumb.jpg

post-126542-0-78614100-1513608728_thumb.jpg

post-126542-0-76924600-1513608762_thumb.jpg

-Kent

Ah, another Velocity by the same seller as above (Barnstormers):  A little higher price but you get wings, an intact airplane, and lose the "damage history" shame.    You might even borrow the trailer to get it home.  :-)

post-126542-0-29432900-1513609875_thumb.jpg

post-126542-0-91399700-1513609908_thumb.jpg

post-126542-0-02242100-1513609932_thumb.jpg

-Kent

N620CS - S.N. in the FAA Registry is 76 so I expect the builder bought the plans back in the 70s.  He finally got it flying in 2005 (A.C. date).  Low time for a 12 year-old airplane but maybe that's the reason for the overhaul--perhaps it sat too long in Florida humidity.  "SMOH", as you know, can mean anything from a plug-and-oil-change up to the real thing.    IMO, a little pricey for a non-flying airplane, out of inspection, and needs parts.  It looks sound though.  A lot could be done to "Rocky the Flying Squirrel" if you got him cheap.  Upgrade the panel, re-engine, newer wheel pants, sleeker NACA scoop.

Some day when I get ambitious, I am going to go back through this list and see which airplanes have new registrations, i.e., changed owners.  Feel free to do that if you get ambitious, dear reader.  :-)

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=N620CS

post-126542-0-51112900-1514559335_thumb.jpg

post-126542-0-69144200-1514559358_thumb.jpg

post-126542-0-45752400-1514559378_thumb.jpg

-Kent

• 2 weeks later...

This Varieze looks like the owner took care not to beat up the parts.  Wings in cradles, etc.  If the tanks are leaking, a worst-case solution is to saw the strakes off and rebuilding them.  Not a small job but very doable, I would think.   I wonder if he used mogas?

I see this Varieze in post #128 has been reduced to $4000.  Good price.  No engine.  He left out the part about the tanks needing to be resealed.  I guess that was hurting the sale.  :-)

-Kent

The EZ in post #111 relisted at $30,500, $1,500 price cut.

http://www.canardzone.com/forum/topic/21972-sales-ive-seen/?p=60747

This is an O-235 model.  I was just thinking that for the speed and efficiency you get with the EZ family, what a bargain they are.  You could not build this airplane for $30.5K today and a comparable Vans airplane will not be found at the price.  I looked through all the RV sales on B-stormers and the closest was a single-place RV-3 for $27,500.  

-Kent

• 3 weeks later...

Barnstormers:  New-to-me Cozy today and a cheap engine mount for you rotary fans.  No pics of the Cozy inside.  The EZ has been listed before but seller has a set of plans listed separately.  I saw a $25K Cozy listed on Facebook, acquired from an estate sale; finished but not yet flying; O-320.  It was gone the next day so it must have been snapped up.

post-126542-0-20095700-1518616016_thumb.jpg

post-126542-0-32808300-1518616031_thumb.jpg

post-126542-0-35892000-1518616067_thumb.jpg

post-126542-0-65816500-1518616087_thumb.jpg

post-126542-0-93271100-1518616106_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

Barnstormers:  New-to-me Cozy today and a cheap engine mount for you rotary fans.  No pics of the Cozy inside.  The EZ has been listed before but seller has a set of plans listed separately.  I saw a $25K Cozy listed on Facebook, acquired from an estate sale; finished but not yet flying; O-320.  It was gone the next day so it must have been snapped up.

the facebook cozy is back on barnstormers. the wings, strakes and fuel tank was built using Vinyl epoxy. good engine though. 0 SMOH, all logs and last ran 12/2017

the facebook cozy is back on barnstormers. the wings, strakes and fuel tank was built using Vinyl epoxy. good engine though. 0 SMOH, all logs and last ran 12/2017

Ah yes.  Appears to be N357FR.  I dunno about the vinyl ester.  Here is a post from Gary Hunter--usually our go-to guy for anything-epoxy.  Bottom line seems to say stick to the recommended building epoxies.

Having worked in the epoxy AND vinyl ester industry for over 32 years now... I feel I am qualified to do so.  

Many of you have read my inputs to the group over the years.  One thing you should remember is how adamant I have been about a "POST CURE".   i.e., a secondary curing step using elevated temperatures to promote complete cross - linking.  

Epoxy resins will not cure completely on their own under ambient temperature conditions.  Once the polymer network gets to a certain point, the cross-linking slows dramatically - almost a complete stop.  Over the next couple years as the project or flying article goes through seasonal and regional temperature fluctuations, it will creep along and cure a little more.   Basically, these temperature fluctuations are POST CURING the laminates.   But, it will never EVER completely cross link, even under these type temperature conditions.   From a mechanical properties perspective, the polymer is plenty strong.   But, from a chemical resistance stand point, it has vulnerabilities.    

Epoxies are used to manufacture chemical resistant fiberglass pipes, tanks and structures every single day.  The most chemical resistant formulations used in the industry are cured with AROMATIC amines.   And, every single article is heat cured and/or POST CURED.  Believe you me... if they could get away without heat curing - they would.   Nuff  said?  

Vinyl esters are used to manufacture these same articles, but most importantly, they are used to make underground storage tanks for gasohol - which is probably why we are interested in using vinyl esters for our fuel tanks.  Many of these articles, do NOT receive a Post Cure, and perform as good as or better than a post cured epoxy.   WHY?     

Vinyl esters cure under a different mechanism.   A free radical cure mechanism - will develop a much more complete cure without a Post Cure than will an epoxy for a couple reasons.   First, it is a very fast reaction, as noted earlier.   And as such, it generates quite a bit of heat in the process.  Depending on how thick the laminate is, the heat build up in the laminate from the exotherm can be quite dramatic - and provides a  POST CURE effect.  In fact, the exotherm can be quite problematic in some cases.   But, as noted earlier - the free radical cure mechanism is inhibited in the presence of oxygen - i.e. it is anaerobic.  This is why there is almost always a sticky or soft surface on cured vinyl ester laminates that are exposed to the air during cure.  Even though this under-cured layer is only 2-3 miles thick, it is NOT going to provide the same degree of chemical resistance.   If your laminate or coating is only 10 mils thick, your are in trouble. 

Most important to understand,  underground storage tanks for gasohol do not have to deal with this issue because they are built from the inside out.   i.e., the surface that is going to be exposed to the gasohol, is the surface next to the mold surface.  So, there cannot be any air inhibition of cure.   

However, the FRP tank "LINING" industry is more relevant to our situation because the final layer is exposed to chemicals.  However, there are some important things to know.  There is no reason to line a steel tank for resistance to gasohol.  And, the chemical resistant FRP industry, in general, uses a special surfacing veil on the exposed surfaces.  This surfacing veil can be a special "C" glass or a synthetic material called "Nexus".   These veils are ~ 10 mils thick.  The area weight of the veil is such that when saturated with resin, the layer will be about 10% reinforcement, and 90% resin.  This 10 mil thick surface layer provides a RESIN RICH layer that will cure more completely, and provide a more resistant surface layer.   Plus, these laminates are usually a minimum of 1/8" - 1/4" thick.  As such, they generate quite a bit of exotherm heat energy to Post Cure the laminate somewhat.       

Now, if your are using a vinyl ester to make a 1, 2 or even 3 layer laminate to line your fuel tanks, chances are, these laminates are way under-cured for at least two reasons.   #1 - the laminate was too thin to develop any exotherm energy to promote a post cure effect (a post cure would fix this).   #2 - the inhibition of cure due to the presence of oxygen and your laminate is too thin.   # 3 - Chances are you are not using any kind of surfacing veil.   This, I believe is the reason gasohol is destroying these vinyl ester laminates in our fuel tanks.  

To combat this "air inhibition", the FRP industry at one time, used a special polyester or vinyl ester resin formulation that contains a small amount of "paraffin wax" dissolved into the resin.  As the resin cures, the paraffin wax will phase separate and migrate to the surface forming a thin barrier film to the oxygen.   However, I don't believe this is being practiced any more.  The wax reduced the chemical resistance of the entire laminate and obtaining secondary bonds to this "waxy" laminate was impossible.  This caused a lot of problems in the marine industry, but makes for nice artificial reef.  

So....   We are fortunate that EZ Poxy is in fact cured with an AROMATIC amine.  And as such, has the potential to be THE most chemical resistant epoxy available to home builders.   In the past, without a post cure, it has demonstrated resistance to mogas, (sans alcohol), while others did not.   I firmly believe that EZ Poxy, with a POST CURE, will resist mogas with alcohol - even without a surfacing veil.    

POST CURE ! 
Gary Hunter

-Kent

Manju apparently talked to someone familiar with the airplane. Post #145 above

Was in touch with the seller. he said that a person who previously inspected this project got in touch with him and told him about the epoxy. Thats when the seller switched the ad to "for parts"