DYnon versus MGL

ronny

Hi all,

Over the last weeks I have been looking at several systems.

So far I v been able to narrow it down to a shortlist of two.

MGL Voyager and Dynon Skyview SV-D1000. Both are similar in size

Has anybody got some experience with these systems?

Would run it all linked to a VerticalPower VP200 unit.

anyway, all have a nice Christmass eve

Ronny

:D :D :D :D

I have the Dynon EFIS 10A and it has performed flawless. Wouldn't trade it for another brand.

You don't want to hear about my experience with MGL on their E-1 engine monitor. Oil pressure, oil temperature, EGT, CHT worked fine after many messages to MGL.

RPM indication, it would fluctuate 60 to 100 at best - won't put it on my lawn mower or my neighbor's garden tractor. At present the E-1 is in their shop.

Hi David

Thanks for pointing me to that thread of the RV-boys

Must say there is indeed a lot to read there, unfortunately the thread is old, and in the world of EFIS things are moving along at warp speed. But still it s all very interesting to read

Thanks

Ronny

unfortunately the thread is old, and in the world of EFIS things are moving along at warp speed.

You're joking right? That thread was started 6 days ago.

For myself, I'll be looking at the Dynon Skyview. I won't be installing my panel for a year at least so I'm we'll hear all the feedback, good and bad, by then.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I recieved my SkyView 7 inch (the yoke in my Velocity prevents the larger unit) about four days ago. I ordered it the day they became available but due to the influx of orders the shipping was delayed a bit. I believe they are up to speed now and the folks at Dynon kept me in the loop and were very considerate in their dealings with me. They have had exceptional customer service since my first exposure to them in 2002 at Osh. They treated me respectfully as a potential new customer back then and was one of the reasons I purchased their D100.

I sold my D100 to a Cozy builder about a month ago which helped me with the SkyView purchase. There was nothing wrong with the D100 I just wanted the Skyview. I got a good price that hopefully gave the buyer some satisfaction too. It was a bit more than the half new price of the D100 that Dynon is offering to folks who upgrade, but well under the new price of the D100. So hopefully it was a good deal for both of us.

The quality seems great, however, I have not yet booted it or had a chance to play with it as of yet since my project has been on hold while the city repaired the roof on the hangar, finally, following Hurican Ike. Also, I have a new baby (as oppossed to the "old" babies), a two month old son. As a single father (mother is not in the picture), my time comes in spurts.

The hangar came ready to move back into on the 23rd and I should be able to start moving back in later today or tomorrow. Once that happens I hope to check out the SkyView. Also, Dynon has posted several new videos going over the products various featurs. http://dynonavionics.com/docs/SkyView_Video.html

All the best,

Chris Barber

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

Chris,

I fired up my Skyview today - WOW!! Truly, it rocks. I am very happy. I have not configured all the settings, but am very happy with what I have seen.

If Dynon can have weather, approach plates, and safe taxi on one system, truly awesome.

Will keep you amused. Another kid - you darn cops :)

Happy New Year!! Tim

Tim Walsh

Velocity 173FG (N129VA)

Based out of Manassas, VA (HEF)

Formerly - Cozy III, N923AC

Kewl. I look forward to getting to boot mine up. Something to look forward to.

Actually, this is my first and ONLY child (I will likely get clipped in the new year.....dang, I do consider y'all all friends and am in overshare mode:rolleyes: ). The mother is in federal prison and is a convicted con artist. NOT a joke. Yeah, I was conned as where many others to the tune of Millions. Kinda a mini-Madoff. EVERYTHING she ever told me was a lie, EXCEPT she was pregnant with my child :o and she told some other poor slob he was his son too as she tried to extort money out of him. Me being a cop and an attorney must have looked great on paper to her and provided her credibility when she had NONE. She was a camilion and good at what she did....pure deception personified.

Live and learn.

But, Charles David "Tiberious;) " Barber, "Charlie", IS my son. 15 of 15 DNA markers were identicle. He is 13 weeks now. At 48 years old, I never wanted to be a parent, BUT I DO want my son. He warms my heart. He is in my arms at this very moment, finally sleeping. I expect him to know how to tune a rotary by his first birtjday:cool2:.. ..solo my Velocity soon after that....then, star QB in college, then NFL, then youngest US President (to actually honor the Constitution:irked: )...then on to NASA to be first man on Jupiter. UH, too much....maybe a BIT too ambitious ?????? Yeah, NASA should be first THEN the President thing....Yeah.

Oh well.

I am looking forward to getting back on task with the Velocity. I have missed her.

All the best,

Chris Barber

Houston, GSOT

Oh, the Tiberious part is a joke, but a tip of the hat to James T. Kirk and for those in the know.

Christopher Barber

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

Chis,

Congratulations with your son, children is the best thing that can happen to a person.

It is sooooo much fun to see him grow up and to teach him all sorts of things. But beware all the bad habits you have you will see them again in your child, and that is soooo much fun, you will be wipping his backside for exactly the same naughty things you used to do.

He s a lucky child to be able to fly a velocity before he gets out of his dipers

merry christmas

Ronny

I am learning that more everyday. Of course I must be a terrible dad, I stated he was 13 weeks old, he is actually 9 weeks old. Geeeesh. Guess all the late nite's up with him make it seem longer.:o

I thought I was past my sleep deprivation days when I passed the bar exam......NOT:D

Happy New Year all.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

Lets get back to the topic of this Thread Dynon VS MGL. I am leaning towards MGL for a couple of reasons. I want to have whole system from the same manufacurer. The MGL has a built in gps and it interacts with the V-10 radio they sell The basic bones MGL is cheaper than the Dynon. Now I am ready for replys that will change my mind. STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

What does the Dynon not offer as a whole system? Unless you are talking about current availability, which I can understand. I really do not need more than a VFR platform right now and I hope/intend to upgrade as my need develops and matures. Heck, I just need to actually fly :irked:

I really like what Dynon states they plan to do. While I too have become jaded to "vaporware", Dynon seems to have a good track record of producing what they say they will....even if some of it, as they readily admit (on other forums), has taken longer than they had hoped. For whatever reason, I really like that they intend to add radio's. Maybe it is G100 or OP envy. Also, it would free up some room from my current duel K-125's should I chose to take them out (?). Dynon does have a "working on" and propossed feature list on their site should it be of interest.

I read the links that were posted here. While there are some valid points, I also think many state as fact what is obviously opinion. Such is the nature of the online beast. I do tend to become loyal to products, sometimes, perhaps foolishly. Dynon, so far has garnered my loyalty. I was suprised to read a post that they do not answer their phones since the times I have called, being aware of the two hour time difference, they have not only answered, but actually directed me to the proper person to speak with or just answered the question I posed. They have also responded to my emails promptly. However, this is an area, whether answering the phone or returning them that many drop the ball on. Take if for what you will.

Ok, I attached a picture of my new co-pilot at the controls, but ONLY ;) to show the picture of my old panel where the D-100 was mounted. I have removed it, reglassed it all (still need to sand) and will be expanding the cutout for the SV-700, which is slightly larger than for the D-100 but the SV does not require a mounting tray as seen here for the D-100.

I have still yet to have the opportunity to boot up my SkyView and know that just because it looks pretty out of the box does not neccessarily translate to real world use, but I will likely share my imppression regardless :D

Like you, I do not mind...actually kinda like that one manufacturer produces most my stuff. I have some faith in the ability to intergrate rather than it being piecemeal. I do understand the concern of having all your eggs in one basket but again, I persoanally think this MAY be majoring in the minor. Also, I think there are various options for a secondary source of information should everything go "belly up". Maybe I have had to piecemeal things together too much in the past and think one trusted source is a bit more eligant.

I do think most of the companies are compitant, it is just the flavor you prefer....of course most of us have the recent memory of the gee wiz factor that faded with Blue Mountain. Good intent if not so good execution, if I understand correctly.

FWIW.

All the best,

Chris Barber

Houston, GSOT

post-306-141090173015_thumb.jpg

Christopher Barber

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

When I was at Oskosh last summer for the week, I spent A LOT of time at the EFIS vendor booths. After only a couple minutes just fooling around with the Skyview, I was able to navigate through the screens without any assistance or coaching from the sales rep,,,so EZ was it to use I would have felt comfortable flying it right then and there. When I was at the MGL booth, the sales rep was trying to demonstrate using the Odyssey. He got it into a screen and was unable to complete the demo to the group gathered in front of him and finally gave up after it locked up on the screen. I have never seen an EFIS with more buttons and knobs. I think that the Odyssey was designed by someone who is extreemly computer tech savy and is appealing to that type of consumer.

I am joining the club too. My BM gen4 lite is out and now cutting a panel for the 7 inch Skyview. I will be taking Dynon up on their offer for the trade in---unless someone want to make me a better offer. My BM is fully functional---and have never had a problem with anything. BM recently stopped supporting---but looks like there may be some resurrection of support from a second party (but don't hold your breath).

The Skyview will be my 3rd Dynon system. My first was their first product---put it in my Longez---worked great for what it did. I currently have a Dynon engine monitor. While Skyview also does engine monitoring---I will not use that feature since I already have the separate screen.

I think when Skyview fully fleshs out their features and can do what the GRT does at two-thirds the price...they will be untouchable. Is there anyone who sees a reason why they can't? I thought MGL was the 12" screen for me 2 years ago...built my tilted panel to accept it, glad the Skyview is the same depth. 90 percent sure I will go with them :)

Additionally, I was kinda leery about the ease of use factor with the MGL Odessey and the reports on the SkyV are music to my ears...thanks for the review for those of us who didn't get to Oshkosh.:)

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

I am in the process of updating my panel with the Dynon Skyview. I had the Dynon EFIS and Engine monitor, AP74, HS34 (HSI interface/control ARINC), and I kept my autopilot servos.

The Skyview takes the place of all the above (the ARINC - HS34 input will probably be another separate device).

I was thrilled with the EFIS and EMS, both were "slaved" to each other. I typically flew with the EFIS, and the HSI mode. (HSI was located in the DG slot). I was also thrilled with the autopilot, which followed my GPS in a rock solid fashion. The altitude hold was great in smooth air, but porpoised in rough air.

The other day I turned on the Skyview and had the WOW factor. The screen configuration is quite flexible, and will eventually have lots of future capability (Weather, Approach Plates, etc).

Installation was also quite ez. I did not build my Velocity, and the process was straight fwd for both the EFIS and engine module now on my firewall (previously, the engine wires from EMS went directly from the probe/CHT/EGT to the monitor).

This is the first release, and there are some bugs. The autopilot software has not ben released yet. The next upgrade should get the Skyview up to the same capabilities as the EFIS and EMS I sold. It is a little frustrating, but worth it, in my opinion. I like the 10" so much, I will probably purchase the 7" for my pilot to be wife. I did look at the EFIS products on the market and feel Dynon is a great value for the price (I would not be able to afford otherwise :-)

I have put my IFR training on hold until upgrade complete. This panel will really assist in my SA. I have included some photos of my old panel: http://gallery.me.com/timfwalsh#100024

Check out their video on the Dynon website. Hope this helps. Tim

Tim Walsh

Velocity 173FG (N129VA)

Based out of Manassas, VA (HEF)

Formerly - Cozy III, N923AC