I am in the lucky situation of being the new owner of a nice sexy Long EZ

Only the panel is slightly out of date.

I would like to install a superb to of the bill glass cockpit panel

I am running a LycomingO-235 engine

What would you propose? Full option including auto pilot

thanks

Ronny

:D :D :D :D :D

It would be hard to go wrong with Dynon Skyview, GRT, Advanced Flight Systems, or Garmin G3X. They all have their plusses and minuses, so decide what you need, and what your budget will allow. Honestly the best money if you're looking to fly IFR would probably be a WAAS GPS/NAV/COM (Garmin 430) coupled to either the Trio or TruTrak autopilot. With the Vertical Steering option on the autopilots you can fly autopilot WAAS approaches almost to the ground.

Kevin R. Walsh & Michael Antares

Cozy Mk-IV #413

N753CZ

For the Skyview, I don't know where you're going to put two displays in the LongEz Cockpit. Well, if you meant you were going to put one up front and one in the back I could see that. If you were going to put two 7" displays up front though, I'd just go with the 10" (tight fit)

Frank Pullano Jr

BerkEz N97JD

- IO 360 - A1A

- Infinity Gear

- Waiter Controller System

Orlando FL (Based KSFB)

Money is the only limit to a panel. You never said what your budget was. If you had enough $$$$ your could put an F-16 heads up display in that would be way cool. On the other hand all your really have to have is an air speed and altimeter, tach, handheld com, gps and some engine instruments and you can go all over the usa.

STeve building on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

STeve

You are right budget is a factor here. I d love to have the headsup display. :D

Serious I want the panel to look sexy and easy to use.

Just a super cazy thought.

On the display one can get the artifical horizon stuff on top of the GPS or the synthetic forward view or whatever. Would it be possible to put it on top of video images.

It can not be a big deal to put a forward facing cameralens in the nose and stream those images onto the display as background for the artifical horizon stuff. This would be soooo hot for the person in the back, since you dont realy have a good view forward.

Ronny

Maybe it s the wine or the cognac after diner

Money is the only limit to a panel. You never said what your budget was. If you had enough $$$$ your could put an F-16 heads up display in that would be way cool. On the other hand all your really have to have is an air speed and altimeter, tach, handheld com, gps and some engine instruments and you can go all over the usa.

STeve building on

Reminds me of a past professor that demonstrated the paperclip vs. tie-clip analogy.

Well I did not really answer your question.. I am a super cheapskate. Like in Birdies that go cheap cheap. Here is what my panel is probably going to be. MGL Enigma with V-10 com radio Probably a ebay special nav com like an older king a steam gauge altimeter and airspeed and who knows what gps I will fanagle in the next couple of years It will be about 4-5 thousand total and will do pretty much everything I want. Later I will install the units for the efis controlled auto pilot. What else Do I need??? Remember cheap is the word. I want to fly not go out to the shop and look at a finished fuselage waiting for spendy radios. STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

STeve

You are right budget is a factor here. I d love to have the headsup display. :D

Serious I want the panel to look sexy and easy to use.

Just a super cazy thought.

On the display one can get the artifical horizon stuff on top of the GPS or the synthetic forward view or whatever. Would it be possible to put it on top of video images.

It can not be a big deal to put a forward facing cameralens in the nose and stream those images onto the display as background for the artifical horizon stuff. This would be soooo hot for the person in the back, since you dont realy have a good view forward.

Ronny

Maybe it s the wine or the cognac after diner

The newer MGL do that. You can hook up, up to 4 cameras, including IR

Ronny,

Check out DIYdrones.com These guys have overlayed video out the nose of their UAVs with the same info that Dyon does on their EFIS display ( heading, altitude, airspeed, attitude, battery life and more presented in different formats I like the F16) at a fraction of the cost. I would like to build an artificial horizon instrument that does this. Most of the hardware that they are using is plug and play. The one thing that prevents us from using their stuff as a true autopilot is the A to D accuracy that they use in their processors and the accelerometers and gyro chip's drift or accuracy. But we still use a gyro that we have to update with a compass and the FAA approves that. They are always improving the hardware and the shareware which is apparent when you monitor the website.

Joe Berki

Limo EZ

For a VFR aircraft, on a VFR ticket, fit the aircraft out that way. You don't need synthetic vision, or redundant airspeed indicators. If you use the term "but if you get into trouble you can always get out" then you need to go back to flight school, and not rely on a skyview.

THAT BEING SAID, for a high quality integrated system, with autopilot, on a budget, goes hands down to Dynon. I would put skyview in my aircraft in a heartbeat. That's not based on what some flavour of the month forum builder states e.g. "buy blue mountain!" (because it looks 'cool'), that's from flight experience with dynon and their continued product support. Growth potential to IFR, and for the unit itself is solid.

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

http://v2.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm

Hi All

I am in the lucky situation of being the new owner of a nice sexy Long EZ

Only the panel is slightly out of date.

I would like to install a superb to of the bill glass cockpit panel

I am running a LycomingO-235 engine

What would you propose? Full option including auto pilot

thanks

Ronny

:D :D :D :D :D

I looked at the early Dynons and didn't like them very much. I understand the later ones are a lot better. I went with the GRT Horizon I units and I have been very satisfied with them. They play nicely with Garmin radios and Trutrak autopilots. My panel upgrade here:

http://www.rocket-boys.com/panel.htm

Rick Pellicciotti

Belle Aire Aviation, Inc.

http://www.belleaireaviation.com

I sold my Dynon D-100 last week to a Cozy builder and ordered the 7 inch SkyView the day it was released. They sent me a nice email stating it was to ship in 5-7 days....which is right about now. So, when it arrives, I will be happy to share my playing with it if anyone is interested.

I went with the 7 inch since my Velocity came with yokes and the ten inch was too big.....also the ten inch is $900 more. I had nor reason to upgrade...on a non flying plane except, well, I wanted it :D:rolleyes:

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

Yea Chris, tell us your impressions.

It looks great in pictures...only to get better and better.

Time will tell, but I am sure interested in the Skyview system.

In two years it should be fully hatched and flying all the feathers.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Hello,

I've been lurking :sad: here for several years. I have a ship similar to Rick P's, with main gear similar to the Drybread. The ship has been on the ground since 1994. Hopefully it will fly again in 2010.

This thread is most interesting, since I've decided now to go with the GRT Horizon II 8.4 screen. This will provide all the engine and flight information I need for IFR with the addition of a stand-alone Trio autopilot and a GNS430W.

I read Rick's installation process with a lot of interest:cool: . 1 other item I'm seriously considering is the Vertical Power VP-50. This creates the option of almost never having to do much re-wireing. It handles through software options the possibility of moving switches, buses, and alternate power sources to almost any of the 8 included switches on the control panel. EFIS/EMS inputs come through ARINC 429 and RS-232 wires to the VP-50.

LEZs need the radio stack on the left side. Mine have been on the right side. Reaching across :bad: to change a frequency obscures visibility to the very frequency you are changing and even causes un-intended inputs to the control stick in your right hand. Here are photos of my old:mad: and proposed new:) panel.

post-772-141090172915_thumb.jpg

GRT LEZ Panel layout.pdf

Fred

sounds impressive, so you ll go full IFR

The verticql power VP-50 can you explain what it realy brings to the show?

thx

Ronny

:D :D :D :D

The Vertical Power unit eliminates buses, circuit brakers, fuses etc. that have traditionally been a necessary part of aircraft electrical systems. Vertical Power calls it an "Electronic First Officer". They give a much better explantion. Here is the link:http://www.verticalpower.com/

The Vertical Power simplifies the wireing during the installation because it is the junction point for all inputs and outputs of the flight instruments, engine instruments and navigation instruments using RS 232 or ARINC 429 wires that plug in-to the various units. It is then like an on-board computer that can be programmed (preferrably on the ground) to operate systems needed for various phases of the flight.

I'm VFR in the LEZ. I wanted IFR capability mainly for emergency sitiuations:( , but will not be full IFR (I only have 1 display. Full IFR would require 2 displays and 2 comm radios). I will have 2 GPS. (1 in the EFIS and another in the 430.) I will have 2 independent attitude sources (1 in the EFIS and another in the A/P). The A/P can be operated by me as a stand-alone or controlled by EFIS programming. Should I loose the EFIS during IFR (which I don't plan on being in except in an emergency), the A/P could still fly it to VFR. These contingencies can be programmed into the VP before flight so it truly functions like a First Officer when these situations arise.

I like the idea of Fred

Going VFR but having the IFR capability just in case of an emergency

What would you incorporate in the ideal panel?

Just trying to get as many ideas and opinions.

Started saving pics from all the EZ panels I can find on the web, there is a wide variety to be seen

Thanks for the help

Ronny

I like the idea of Fred

Going VFR but having the IFR capability just in case of an emergency

What would you incorporate in the ideal panel?

Just trying to get as many ideas and opinions.

Started saving pics from all the EZ panels I can find on the web, there is a wide variety to be seen

Thanks for the help

Ronny

REDUNDANCY!!!!!!REDUNDANCY!!!!!!REDUNDANCY!!!!!!REDUNDANCY!!!!!! with no single point failure spot.

Even if you don't plan to do much IFR, if a failure happens there, it is 100% and your survival might depend on either redundant instruments or your ability to use partial information to ascertain that the oily side is down. If you don't do much instrument work, the probability of this is slim. This, of course does not imply that you need 2 of everything.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D