Lycoming questions for Cozy

MoneySink

I have a some questions regarding Lycoming models used in pusher type aircraft in general:

Does Cozy (or pusher type aircraft) generally require left turning engines? What is most commonly used?

In the IO-360s, Lycoming offers vertical or horizontal induction; which one is best suited for Cozys? Would the horizontal induction produce more tapered bottom cowling compared to vertical induction that sticks down?

TIA,

Robert

I have a some questions regarding Lycoming models used in pusher type aircraft in general:

Does Cozy (or pusher type aircraft) generally require left turning engines? What is most commonly used?

In the IO-360s, Lycoming offers vertical or horizontal induction; which one is best suited for Cozys? Would the horizontal induction produce more tapered bottom cowling compared to vertical induction that sticks down?

TIA,

Robert

360's come in two different types, with a few exceptions the A and C models are 200 hp engines with angled valves and fuel injection mounted on the front ( A model ) or back ( C model ). the B model is 180 hp and has parallel valves and carburetor or fuel injection mounted on the bottom either vertical or horizontal. most of the 360's are right hand rotation and when installed on a pusher require a prop that rotates CCW when looking forward. some of the 360's are left hand rotation, mostly used on twins that have counter rotating engines and when used on a pusher require a CW rotating prop. in some cases the left hand engines are a bit cheaper because they are the odd ball. A few models have solid cranks and can not use a hydraulic CS prop. the best models for a cozy are the B and C models. the lycoming operators manual has some information on the different types of engines and accessories http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/bvpages/lyconingOperation.php

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Colby Farmer's Cozy uses a left hand rotation engine. I recall him saying that it was initially less expensive to purchase, but parts are much more expensive.

I have seen Cozy's with both horizontal and vertical induction. I went with a horizontal install of my Silverhawk FI because it is a lower profile installation. No need to alter the plans lower cowling. I installed an Aerosport Power (great people) IO-360 B2B (180 hp fuel injected) engine in my Cozy.

Good Luck!

Jon Dembs

Cozy 973