Another Rotary Aircraft

TMann

Well here's yet another example of some crazy putting a wankel rotary on his plane. How crazy is that?:rolleyes:

Posted Image

http://www.1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/Visschedijk/6898.htm

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Looks like a nice aircraft converted to a butt ugly contraption. Why? :confused:

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Follow the link.

It is running a Curtiss-Wright RC2-60 wankel engine. It's a converted glider used in 'Quiet Flight' research. It's hard to make out but the muffler runs the length of the fuselage near the bottom.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Quiet flight.

Hmmm?

Glider, not quiet enuf.

Funky radiator nosed powered thing with 15 foot belly muffler...seeking for quiet enuf status.

Willing to suffer comparisons of Dr Suess, and the like in the quest.

Aeronautical engineers not consulted for aero anything, due to the desire for a "reverse airboat" appearance.

Ahhhhh. I have been wondering whats behind this post of yours..... Hmm, maybe....

Okay.

All tongue in cheek, of course since it was featured in the Beatles movie, Sgt Peppers lonely hearts club band, and therefore a cultural incon of the day.

You have made your case...

Funky is, as Funky does.

Tmann, I know you are fond of the tractor powerplant rotary guys at FlyRotary, but I sincerely hope this doesnt mean you are ditching you plans approved engine location, due to this incredibly revealing rotary configuration.

If so, I really must insist you take the blue pill and come back over to our side of reality. This is a mod that will only bode ill for you, particularly should you decide to sell. It is also, I predict a sure way to become the talk of every FBO, and fly-in you waggle into...and I dont mean that in a good way.

...and in my minds final review of the above, it is just a shame, as all the way up to this point in time, it appeared you were really building a fine canard machine.

It seems a tragedy you would become so blinded by having a successful rotary tractor installation. Canards, friend, have the spinning thing on the back. It's just gotta be that way, or they look and act funny.

Please rethink your forwarding of this new modification on the forum...it looks heavy and draggy, and not in keeping with your weight conscious efforts, nor the canard tradition.

I dont even think Tracy Cook would approve of your present direction. :envy:

Call me and I can reccomend a good therapist in your locale from my therapist's network, so you can talk over the issues that have led you to forward this idea.

It just so not like you.

:D

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Well here's yet another example of some crazy putting a wankel rotary on his plane. How crazy is that?:rolleyes:

Just whipped this up in case you were having trouble visualizig it.

Just trying to be of help.:grouphug:

post-4661-141090171659_thumb.jpg

Self confessed Wingnut.

But then, you could lower the engine, run the shaft between your legs (wasn't there a war II bird that had a mid mounted engine and a shaft running in a similar manner?) and put the prop on the nose.

I would suggest shielding the shaft tunnel well in case the shaft decides to disintegrate. Could be a ball (or lack thereof).:bad:

A tractor prop would, in fact make takeoffs shorter, especially on soft fields.

With the proper gear box, you could have both a tractor and pusher prop from the same engine. And then..........:confused: :confused: :confused:

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

But then, you could lower the engine, run the shaft between your legs (wasn't there a war II bird that had a mid mounted engine and a shaft running in a similar manner?) and put the prop on the nose.

OH ..... like the Bell P-39.

Actually the point here is that back in the 1960s, Curtiss-Wright had a wankel aircraft engine ........ so all of this idea that rotary is new and radical is not so true.

The picture is from about 1970.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

OR - you could mount some pulleys on that shaft, then have them belt drive another set of pulleys mounted on arbors down on the side of the fuselage. On the other end of the arbor shafts you could mount some train wheels...you know, with the pushrods on them? Then you could hinge the wings, hook the pushrods up to them and the wings would flap.

Marc Oppelt

Olympia, WA

http://picasaweb.google.com/oh.u8it2

This is starting to take on a life of its own.

Can we get the CAD guys in here to start working on this thing?

Self confessed Wingnut.

Edge,

Step away from the computer and go back to working on your wings.:cool:

Kraig

Hey, having fun is my sickness. I just cant help myself.:)

TMann, knows I'm just a "Bill The Cat"

You want REAL crazy, I am rewriting the book on Cozy crazy, with my latest ideas. I think they will have to be revealed after they are done and finished on my aircraft.

Self confessed Wingnut.