Carburetor Trouble

I have a Marvel-Schebler #10-48941 carburetor on my Continental 0-200.

When staring the engine, if I move the throttle full-forward, gas pours out of the Carb.

I am also having some problems with my mixture, so I have opted to rebuild the Carb before I start any taxi testing.

I have surfed the web looking for a place to re-build the Carb, but all I have found are places willing to replace it for $950.00 Ouch !

I agree will everyone that says, it’s one of the key components you don’t want to skimp on, and if push comes to shove I will pay the bounty for the replacement Carb; however I can’t help but wonder if there is a place out there that will rebuild my existing Carb for a more modest price.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Tony Utset

Miami, Fla.

VariEZe N297TV

Carbs are generally pretty simple. Just tractor carburators really. I wouldn't be afraid to take it apart for a look. Is it a pumper carb? A full stroke with a pumper carb will pump raw fuel into the intake where it can dribble out. Could that be what you're seeing?

If so, when you start the engine, make sure the engine is turning before you pump the carb. Less chance of a fire.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

I have a Marvel-Schebler #10-48941 carburetor on my Continental 0-200.

When staring the engine, if I move the throttle full-forward, gas pours out of the Carb.

I am also having some problems with my mixture, so I have opted to rebuild the Carb before I start any taxi testing.

I have surfed the web looking for a place to re-build the Carb, but all I have found are places willing to replace it for $950.00 Ouch !

I agree will everyone that says, it’s one of the key components you don’t want to skimp on, and if push comes to shove I will pay the bounty for the replacement Carb; however I can’t help but wonder if there is a place out there that will rebuild my existing Carb for a more modest price.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Tony Utset

Miami, Fla.

VariEZe N297TV

the rebuild parts kit cost $450 so they are charging $500 for there labor. that seems fair. it takes time to do and some special tools to do it complete. when they do a yellow tag overhaul they replace all the seals and the pump shaft seal takes some special removal and pressing tools. you will get one that has all the ad's met and the latest up dated one piece venturi. they check every one on a flow bench so when you get it you know it will work the first time. do you really want a cheep rebuild?

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Hi Tony,

I just had the same problem. I have an Ellison throttle body and I couldn't understand why, lately, I was always flooding the engine. Everytime after I would stop it, I couldn't start it again. It turned out that some part in the carb was damaged and the fuel flow was always going through even when the mixture was at cutoff. I got stranded at Boca and had to send the carb to the manufacturer to be rebuilt. They charged $438.88. A new one was $950 so I think yours should probably be in the same price range for repairs since they are in the same price range for new. I can't help you with were to send it though since yours is a different type and they only work on their own brand, naturally.

I just did a short flight around Homestead today and it flies beautifully again. It sounds like you are getting close to flying. I'm looking forward to flying with you when you gether in the air. I need someone flying next to me to get some good pictures of my plane. :)

Tony,

FYI, certain models of M-S carburetors do *not* have an mixture idle cutoff -- you have to kill the engine with the mags. Such is the case with my C-85. We thought we had a problem when full-lean mixture would not kill the engine, but it was working per design. Check with your O-200 overhaul manual.

Regards,

SPG1

Arlington, Tx