Epoxy scales

Ryan D.

For those of you using scales instead of the epoxy pump, what size scale and what resolution will it measure to? I've seen some smaller scales that will measure up to 150 grams in .1 gram increments. I've also seen some scales that measure up to 5 pounds in .1 oz increments (which is

almost 3 grams). Which would be the better way to go. Is .1 oz a fine enough measurement?

Thanks

Ryan

Cozy Plans #1552

Chapter 4

I'm using a Salter electronic kitchen scale I got for Christmas a few years back. It'll weigh in English or Metric. 1/8 oz and 1 gram resolution, weighs to about 10 lbs or so.

I don't trust it for 5 gram batches. My smallest batch is probably 10 grams. With pro-Set, that's 10 grams of epoxy, continue to 13 grams with hardener. Most layups are 100gm of resin using the ever popular (and cheap) 7oz plastic 'party' cups.

A nickle weighs 5 grams, you can be creative in checking accuracy and repeatability of whatever scale you use.

Good to see you building :)

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

Hi,

I'm using a OHAUS scale, batch up to 200g with a precision of .1g. It works pretty well and I guess the price would be around $100 (maybe less!).

Initially I started with the basic (but efficient) scale described in the Chapt 3. It does the job for sure. But now with a very fair time of practice, I m now very happy to use this electronic scale, I get the ratio-ed batch in very little time.

Finally, I ve got a ratio pump which is not currently set to the ratio of my epoxy system so I can't tell much about it... Comments on this one will come soon!

In the mean time, enjoy getting the numbers right on that scale :)

Tony