Re building Varieze

sloroger

I bought my project VZ at Santa Ynez Airport about a year ago, and have just recently found time and $$ to start getting her together. She flew for many years and was then disassembled to install a 235, extend the nose and install a Longeze langding gear arch. The entire panel was also removed, so I need to install all new (used) instrucments.

...and I need help!

With luck I hope to be airborne by next summer. I have around a thousand flight hours in various planes, but have never even been up in a Rutan design of any kind. I also sold my last plane (Pacer) over ten years ago and haven't flow since.

First issue is getting the panel put together. I'm interested in the Dynon 10A and the BMA EFIS G# Lite. First ignorant question... with one of these units installed, what other "backups" do I need? In other words, with the BMA G3 installed, do I also need a vacuum airspeed and/or alititude, ball, compass, etc?

Sloroger ... hopefully soon-to-be fastRoger in my Varieze!

(San Luis Obispo Roger)

Well first of all, BMA is out of business, so that's an update you need. Reason; lots of glitches in their equipment. Dynon 10a's can be had used for cheap as the new Dynon stuff is supposed to be coming out. Try Barnstormers.com for classified's.

The rest is for the VariEze guys to answer.

You might join Marc's mailing list as there are a bunch there who fly the birds there. Put your word out there and you will get good input.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

BMA is out of business---but my lite has always worked like a champ. I installed both Dynon (longez) and BMA (cozy). They both worked as advertised. Most glitch type items I saw on the message board usually was traced to install problems from those who did not know what they were doing.

The FARs delineate specifically what equipment is required for the type of flying you will be doing. Since I did a retrofit instead of a new panel from scratch, I have everything backed up except for heading. I have found that I still prefer using the "steam" airspeed and altitude----but maybe that is just what I am used to.

I did hear that BMA went belly up, and did figure that might allow me to pick up a low cost BMA Lite and "presto!" my panel is made for me. And who knows? Maybe it'll work that way for me.

Where do I find "Marc's" forum or page or list to get aboard with local Varieze information? My plane was being rebuilt by a guy who flies a LongEze out of Santa Ynez airport. 235 put in, nose extended, LongEze gear installed, and new cowling constructed.

thanks for giving me some valuable informtion here!

Pardon my head scratching. [i dont have lice]. You have what sounds like a very nice very easy, and you INTEND to put the primary 6 flight instruments in it that are known to have issues so that you can save some money?

[?Just installation procedure related glitches, supposedly the cause?]

I know David Clifford posted ad nausea um about his and Drew's sending their unit back several times...and Steve Wright has publicly lamented his reoccurring problems with his...and BMA's attempts to solve them. He still rolled his eyes and shook his head, when I asked him at RR 2 years ago if they got it sorted out. Then that was the last time I contemplated BMA as my choice. [and you would think if they wanted to make anybody happy, it would be as visible a guy as Steve.]

If I was one of the BMA owners that didnt have problems with my unit, I would be thanking my lucky stars that I wasnt one ofthe guys I have read about.

If I am off base with my comments, please disregard all of the above.

I am reminded however of the old circus barker..." You pays yer money, and yer takes yer chances".

With a Glitch free brand new 7 inch Dynon selling now for 1900. and used probably less by a lot, seems a shame to put a question mark in your panel. Maybe you should explain this to your wife or friends that you will offer rides too,and trips with you before they get in the airplane. Hmmmm?

I'm not trying to flame you. I just dont understand.

I am sure you have it all figured out.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Like I said---flying my BMA lite for several years glitch free. I have sent my lite back when I broke a fitting off the back---they repaired it and sent it back to me. My real future issue is it appears that BMA has stopped issuing the monthly database updates which keeps the moving map update----and of course Dynon's like product does not even have a map.

With all that being said---I am contemplating going back to a Dynons efis (I currently run a Dynon EMS). With your Dynon Efis---if it breaks, you can send it back for repairs. With the BMA line----there is no one to repair it----and like all computer products, they will need repair at some time or another.

----and of course Dynon's like product does not even have a map.----

Drew,

Dynon has anounced shipping of its new SkyView line by Dec. 1st (see http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/news_technology_preview.html '> http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/news_technology_preview.html )

with synthetic vision and moving map. They will also be offering a $1000 rebate for BMA owners for the first six months; no prices yet.

Pezzi

Saw that---that is why I was reconsidering. I will be very interested to see what things eventually get included in the map. With my BM, I get precision approach capability ("needles"----separate ILS feeding in), and the cool thing I like is the victor routes and all the waypoints displayed right there.

Skyview will be very sparten when it comes out----but the company is real good---and looks like Skyview capability will grow quite well. Can hardly wait to see the user documents so that I can see what is coming down the line.

You won't find Dynon's used for sale except in extremely rare cases. I'm guessing you'll see many generations of BMA for sale now.

Dynon has only had two generations of D10. BMA had four going on five when they quit. Dynon will even upgrade a reliable and totally acceptable D10 to a D10A for really cheap.

Dynon fixed my D10, (Which I did find used, totally lucky me!) and fixed it for free even though I didn't buy it from them.

Simple equals reliable. BMA packed to much fluff into their units. Dynon has less stuff, no maps, but it works! Anybody remember prior to 2004-5 what we had for instrument choices?? I do!

("What's that round thingy with the pointer do?")

Dynon also includes firmware upgrades for free.

The firmware upgrades often add new features, i.e. the current version is 5.1. Upgrades over the years have included; a DG Display screen, GPS information and data enhancement on EFIS, Autopilot, Internal Data Recording, full display sharing (The EFIS can display EMS pages and vice versa), etc,etc,etc

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Yep, so far I am a loyal Dynon customer. I may be installing my D-100 into my Velo panel in the next couple of weeks. Even though I have a long way to go before actual use.

I just checked out the Dynon page....first item; $1000.00 "rebate" for Blue Mountain customers. Made me grin for some reason.

All the best,

Chris:cool2:

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

• 4 weeks later...

So I read and took all the Dynon kudos and BM concerns into account and went and bought me a D-10 for my little VZ project. Mind you, I haven't flown for more than eight years so the instrument choices now available dazzle me real easily.

So now I have the Dynon, and just the Dynon. What else do I need?

So now I have the Dynon, and just the Dynon. What else do I need?

Acording to your first post you had plans on lengthining the nose and installing a longeze gear bow. I think you will be suprised how long these two projects take you. I would have completed all my airframe projects before purchasing panel junk. It might be 2 years before you get those projects done by then the Dynon will have a couple more technology updates. Most builders build the plane first and do panel last. Panels are easy and fast airframe especially changes are slow and time consuming. Have you ever worked with fiberglass? If not you have a learning curve you need to start on the nose and the gear worry about the panel when you have the airframe ready to go. you asked you got my .02 STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

BigS-

As I read it, the work was already done. Rodger is just looking now for panel stuff. But yea, panels last, till everything else finished.

Point to consider is the stock gross weight on a Vari, and adding extra weight; longer noses, starters, bigger cubes, etc and how that eats into what you can carry. although many fly these over gross.

Vari's ARE, and meant to be VERY lightweight airplanes. The tradeout of that relatively heavy six-pack for a D10 was a good move.:D IMHO.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Figured I'd jump in on this rebuilding thread since my question is exactly about... just that.

Extensive foam damage to the "tub" of the varieze.

- No delams

- Core Crush damage

- "face sheet debonding"

If you are unfamiliar with these terms or with mechanics of what ACTUALLY happens under the skin when a nose wheel up landing occurs or when u impact it on the side w/ a baseball reference this "short review":

http://www.tc.faa.gov/its/worldpac/techrpt/ar99-49.pdf

Rest of A/C checks out and needs a complete OH of all the rubber/hoses connections ect. No biggy, and yes the panel can wait! :)

I've been giving these recommendations:

- Buying built tub

- Building new tub

- "your fine" (ya... no)

- And mine

My solution is to completely de-skin the tub. This will leave only the inner skin. According to failure theory and testing the inner skin is usually undamaged. With the foam removed any buckling of the inner skin should be visible and repairable at that time. So what’s my question?

The foam call for was polyurethane foam (great characteristics for shaping, not so much for impact resistance)

Questions

- What foam should I use? (Opinion should be backed by facts plz)

- Anyone have any online references I should study?

- Any pitfalls I didn't think about?

- Any extra caution I should use? (Besides do it right the first time)

Thanks for your help,

Derek Roper

MS&T Aero/Mech Engineering

Varieze

• 1 month later...

Yep, most everything is done 'cept the instrument panel and other cockpit amenities.

I saw a project VZ on eBay that has a nice panel and some other parts I could make use of. Anybody else see that? The plane is in Acampo, CA and appears to have been under construction a long while.

I need to finish some minor fiberglass details, install a second mag and fabricate the air ducting in the newly built cowlings, then panel and instruments finish it up. Sounds ez. Varieze. Oh, and certify the plane along the way.

And BTW... whenever someone says to me, "I don't mean to flame you, but..." then I brace for being flamed, just like whenever someone says to me, "I don't mean to piss you off, but..." then get ready to be pissed off. Just sayin'.