Burt's Words From the Past, Timely...

Lifessamsara

Burt makes a lot of sense. But it's really tempting to make changes for aesthetics, such as lengthening the nose. Seems like it should be OK to do that, so long as you keep it straight and symetrical and don't go overboard - yet Burt says it could actualy slow the plane down... Whodda thunk it?

I know I am not qualified to make structural or aerodynamic changes...yet a sleeker nose, raised canopy and the Cozy Girrrl strakes sure seem like good ideas that shouldn't hurt anything.

It's a fine line that we unqualified builders have to walk when trying to stick to the plans yet incorporate improvements that seem to be good ideas without really knowing if we are ruining our projects or truly improving them.

Would a nicer-looking slightly longer and sharper shape to the nose really screw it up? :o

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

It's all very important when you sit or tinker about in the hangar ... that plane must look fast when it's standing still!

Sometimes I go to the hangar, pull the plane out some into the sune (so that the colour shows) and just sit there looking at it.

It's the only time that I can see the superb lines and beauty ... from inside it's really just cumfy seat facing a bunch of instruments and a fantastic view.

:cool:

And yes, I love mine most! :)

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

Burt makes a lot of sense. But it's really tempting to make changes for aesthetics, such as lengthening the nose. Seems like it should be OK to do that, so long as you keep it straight and symetrical and don't go overboard - yet Burt says it could actualy slow the plane down... Whodda thunk it?

Would a nicer-looking slightly longer and sharper shape to the nose really screw it up? :o

Remember the article is written regarding the Vari-Viggen.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

I notice that Burt only listed two types of pilots. experimental test pilot and production test pilot. He knows that when flying any homebuilt aircraft you are always one of the two types of test pilot on every flight. There are no plain pilots flying homebuilt aircraft. No just a passengers either. Passengers are never just along for the ride. they are always part of the test. Burt never kept any of his aircraft flying beyond the test program. when he tested and decided there was no more to learn he stopped all flying of that model and moved on to the next one.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

And may I add, rightly so. Chris's plane is a thing of beauty. The spirit of the man is reflected in the job.

hennie

That's the way it should be. [applause emoticon]

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.