Eco Motors OPOC engine

what a bizarre design. Opposing cylinders?

It oposses my rotary mindset.

It might be very good, a real 'outside the box' solution or .......

Many more parts to break type of solution.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Thats really an old idea... think WWII... the Luftwaffe was using a similar design in the Jumo 205 diesel engine (used in the Ju 86 bomber) ... These engines were also based on 1920's desings (used in marine application)...

So nothing new here...

but still interesting...

Thats really an old idea... think WWII... the Luftwaffe was using a similar design in the Jumo 205 diesel engine (used in the Ju 86 bomber) ...

It's made in Germany. You know, the Germans always make good stuff.

Well ... no wonder!

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Look at the Gemini engine. Diesel, two pistons in each cylinder, fuel injected between the two pistons, they approach eachother, compress the mixture and poof you get the power. This engine has a crank where the typical valves are, one for each side, and they are geared to the prop flange. They have not flown but appeantly have a lot of dyno time and will soon be testing. They have a 100hp model (shown at OSH-- Looks great) and will, in the future have 200 to more HP.

http://ppdgemini.com/_PDF/Gemini_100_Spec_Sheet_1-10-09_B&W.pdf

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

• 2 weeks later...

Benifits of the design? (Hum) Supposing you cannot glean sufficiant power from one piston per cylinder? I am thinking that the distribution of power to the crank at two points is of little benifit......perhaps a nice power plant for a irrigation pump?:rolleyes:

When I saw the two Diesels at Oshkosh I thought they both looked pretty well thought out. I know that they aren't in any kind of large production, but I am interested in seeing how they come into the market place. I think 100LL is going out the door in the not too distant future, and a lot of effort on aviation bio-fuels is towards making Jet-A. Maybe a diesel is the way to go in planning for the future (10 years out or so)? Deltahawk has one flying in a Velocity, it looked pretty cool. I'll definitely be looking more into Diesel and I am excited to see how the development progresses! I think Deltahawk seems to be about 10-12 years into their development cycle, which should mean they'll be starting to trickle out of the factory soon. That's about the right time-line for the development of anything to do with Aviation ;), especially engines... Shhh, don't tell that to the 787 guys... they might cry :-P....

-Chris

Chris Zupp

~Aircraft Designer~

Preliminary Design Sequence I: Project Endeavour

Aeronautical/Mechanical Engineer

Private Pilot