Seat foam

Stinky

On my old computer I used to have a couple of links that described how to cut full sheets of foam (conforfoam, temprafoam, sunmate, etc.) so that one could get four sets of seats out of a sheet of the foam. It also described the layering, lumbar supports and all manner of neat assembly tricks. (Note: multiple densities were used and the pattern accounted for that. Three sheets total yeilded four seat cushions.)

Does anyone have a link like that that you can send me? I do not seem to be having much luck with the search on this site or on google.

Thanks!

Carl

I recall Tony Bingelis article - Sport Aviation Aug 1990 p28? or March 85 Homebuilt Aircraft Interiors, Part 3 - Seat Construction Details? Contact EAA they probably have it in pdf from the Sport Av CD series.

Sorry I couldn't find a link.

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

http://v2.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm

Thanks Wayne. I read that article again just yesterday morning. (Link here - login required) It is not a bad article but it did not have what I was looking for in maximizing use of the foam sheets. My sheets, by the way are 82"X37"

There is another EAA Article from August 1990 that goes into some more detail on carving the seat shapes (Figure 2) but it also lacks the cut out from bulk sheets.

I was looking at the foam after I got home last night and it looks like I should just cut it into quarters so that I wind up with 41"X18.5". I am going to measure out at the hangar to make sure that will work - or come close enough so that I can splice in cut off pieces to make it work.

I just looked at the second article again and lo and behold - there are dimensions that I should be able to extract. Doh! I guess I should have looked harder last night. This is not as easy as the former link that I had but should get me going. I think the old link was by a Squadron II member. Beagle - do you remember anything like that in your archives?

Carl

There was a guy at Osh making really nice seats out of space age foam he wanted close to a $1000 dollars a seat. I smiled nicely and walked away as fast as I could. I will definatly be making my own. STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21