Antenna Questions

MadMan

Hi, I ordered a antenna kit from RST in late may (with PayPal at their web site). I haven't received it yet so I assume it not going to show up.:irked: So how would I go about getting the info on and how install an antenna. as I'm waiting to close out my MKIV bottom.

Marc Zeitlin has (or should have) a PDF reprint of an article Jim wrote, you'll need to poke around though (as I can remember the direct link). www.cozybuilders.org/

I used the following lengths for each leg of the copper foil tape. NAV: 22.8", Marker: 34.3", GS: 7.5". One NAV and the MB went in my tub, the coax poked though 10" forward of the IP, real near the triangular wood longeron.

Toroids can be purchased from Wicks or Aircraft Spruce. I recall ACS calls them for use in a Quickie antenna kit.

Copper foil is readily available, Google it. It's popular for 'fake' leaded glass windows. If you need some right quick, drop me yer address. I have about 80' left on my roll.

I found coax (RG-400) cheapest at steinair.com, good people there too.

YMMV, floss after meals, ...

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

You would think that Jim Weir's articles would be on the web somewhere but I couldn't find them. You might get copies from the EAA library. For foil, I use crafter's copper foil sheet cut into strips, RG-400 stranded cable, and I think you can get the toroids from Digikey.

By Jim Weir:

"Hidden Antennas Cut Clutter" - Homebuilt Aircraft, Sep 82

"Antennalets . . . or . . . How to keep your pretty plastic airplane from Resembling an agitated porcupine" - Sport Aviation, Jan 81

"Understanding Aircraft Antennas" - Private Pilot, Oct 78

"Economy Antennas or What to do with leftover brazing rod" - Sport Aviation, Oct 76

"Loran Antennas for Plastic Airplanes - Sport Aviation, Mar 84

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

I feel your pain MadMan -- I ordered a kit on 6/18 and have not heard anything from RST despite numerous calls and emails. I finally submitted a dispute through PayPal's resolution center. Given that you ordered in May, my guess is the only thing working at RST is their accounts receivable...I guess I'll order tape from Wicks...

Let me know if you find any specific "how-to's". Good Luck!

• 3 months later...

This thread and the link to the article are just what I needed. My transponder antenna crapped out and I really do not want to take the wing of to get to it. (Yeah, I know the strake end is not ideal for this.) SInce this is much cheaper than another antenna fro the usual suspects, I'll fabricate one to put back under the pilot's seat until the next time the wings come off.

Thanks for the quick pointer.

Carl

Use the standard "stick and ball" antenna for the transponder---it is cheap. I don't think I would put it under my butt. How about up in the nose in front of the rudder pedals? That is where mine is----and it is totally internal to the airplane----and has a rather short run from the transponder to the antenna.

Use the standard "stick and ball" antenna for the transponder---it is cheap. I don't think I would put it under my butt. How about up in the nose in front of the rudder pedals? That is where mine is----and it is totally internal to the airplane----and has a rather short run from the transponder to the antenna.

The cheapest way and one of the best is to just use the coax wire and strip the cover. pull the center conductor out the side of the shield. only need 3.2" of seperated wire length. install a clip on radio shack torroid on the wire before the stripped section of wire. mount the center wire vertically up and the shield vertically down. mount in the nose on the inside of fuselage side. makes one of the best dipole antennas and cost almost nothing.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years