Interesting relocation of winglets

ColinB

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what kind of main gear am I seeing and where is it supposed to be retracted? it seems like it is mounted in the middle between the fuselage and BL 55......

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads. (Dr. Emmett Brown)

what kind of main gear am I seeing and where is it supposed to be retracted? it seems like it is mounted in the middle between the fuselage and BL 55......

I believe that is a set of BU-2000

As far as this 'radical' looking design ........ I'm sure something more 'extreme' will exist before the end of summer.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

As far as this 'radical' looking design ........ I'm sure something more 'extreme' will exist before the end of summer.

..and that will ACTUALLY fly.

As for the gear. The front gear do not appear to acticulate, just a pipe and a right angle axle with a little diagonal brace,no trailing linkage. Maybe they are fabbing that separatly and are waiting to install. Just asking but why would a guy need long spindly gear for a jet? I can see it for prop clearance, but dont understand why its looks so long here?

TMann who makes the BU2000...sounds like hairy potterz quidich broom?

Seriously- never heard of that...so my ignorance is so full here, it's splashing out of my cup.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

..and that will ACTUALLY fly.

Just asking but why would a guy need long spindly gear for a jet? I can see it for prop clearance, but dont understand why its looks so long here?

TMann who makes the BU2000...sounds like hairy potterz quidich broom?

Seriously- never heard of that...so my ignorance is so full here, it's splashing out of my cup.

Carrier landings

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Well, it is pretty cool looking, but I think It'd be a bit iffy that the USN will let him land on the Nimitz...maybe the Numbnutz...but not the Nimitz...

Gotta be a different answer to my question.:confused:

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

You cagey rascal.

..and here I'd gone an thought I'd missed a major RG manufacturer during the past years...and this one doesnt even use forms of articulation, just really soft tires.

Nobody has answered this poor bounders question about these winglets yet. I dont see rudders cut out yet, and they appear to be floating, or attached to the aluminum sawhorse...maybe hes just toying with the viewers.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Carrier landings

guys,

I'm actually unable to find anything about them.

Colin, do you know the present status of that aircraft?has it been completed?

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads. (Dr. Emmett Brown)

The mains swing forward (hence the big pods on the strakes.)

I think this may be a more recent picture:

http://www.ezjetinc.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?pid=5&fullsize=1

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

The gear swinging forward is interesting. The funky spindly looking nature of it and its seeming to be without shock absorption, is not.

Maybe this is just a display type creation. Those gear do not look capable of handling the substantial forces generated.

Self confessed Wingnut.

i do want to post an addendum.

...and state that what the guy has built looks really exciting and would love to to see it fly successfully. This is what I thought the RRL Racers should have looked like instead of those bulbous arszed humpty dumpty creations they came up with.

The pic of the mocking up of the rear stabilizer supports is pretty scary...I dont care how many plies you plied in with. But a great canopy to tail sweep, and forebody. Prove the gear and airframe, put a massive fuel cell in it and, wah Lah, theres a cool single-seat bullitt for the blue sky!!!

Self confessed Wingnut.

Gosh, how did I know that a few pictures would start such an interesting conversation. No, the verticals are NOT glassed on. That is the engine cowling that has not been cut yet. The verticals are bolted on to a steel structure that is inside the cowling. Now for the gear. The mains are Roberts design and started their life as a nose strut. The nose gear is a tube in a tube with a spring. Think GP-4. It will be a steerable nose wheel when completed next spring. At the present time we are building 4 jets, one glassair, one SQ2000, 2 vari, and various things on long eze's. Just a little busy. And TMANN, yes I'm dangerous with that chain saw or any other sharp instrument that I get my hands on. Toy, only for my husband to know. :)

Ezelady, thanks for piping up.

Have you guys looked at the need for increased rudder area being so much closer to the center of mass (shorter arm)? It is hard to tell but the pix look similar to the standard Long-EZ winglets with the tall rudder mod. The look is great BTW.

Great idea borrowing the tube-in-tube with springs setup like the GP-4, one of George's greatest ideas in the GP-4 IMO. Eager to see the steerable setup, might have to 'borrow' that myself.

That is why we call it 'experimental' aviation, keep up the good work, utility and practicality be damned - love what you guys are doing at EZ Jets.

The purpose of moving the winglets was merely to be different, and yes they are SIMIALIAR to the original winglets. As for the need to have more rudder authority you would need to ask Robert. I still get confused over the general airflow stuff. I just build'em or cut'em up. :P