Rudder Pedals

JLKnolla

I am a below knee amputee and wear an artificial leg with a fixed ankle, that is, I cannot articulate at the ankle to operate the standard brake/rudder pedal design on the Long-EZ.

I recently had the chance to try on the beautiful N14DL and while basically a comfortable fit (I am 6'2", 170 lbs with long legs), the rudder pedal fit and operation was an issue for my artificial leg.

Are there any builders/fliers out there who have modified the brake/rudder pedal assembly for a better fit or operation?

Thanks in advance.

John 'Gimp' Knolla

I recall a gentleman with similar issues in Europe / UK had a fully retractable Long EZ. It was in the CSA newsletter some years ago.

I din't see any reason why a system could not be designed and fitted. I really enjoyed the film 'Skyward' - A 2nd stick in the left console with a hand brake would work well.

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

http://v2.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm

Just an idea: Rudders controlled with knee-operated paddles located at the outside of each knee. Move a knee outboard to actuate a rudder. It does not take much leverage or travel to move a rudder and the linkage would be pretty simple.

Brakes: visualize a lever ahead of the throttles or coming out of the seat between your legs. Below the lever the two brake master cylinders are mounted in a horizontal "V". If you push the lever directly forward you get both brakes. Push forward-left or forward-right to get one brake.

Yeah, easier said than done :) Good luck

-Kent

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Gimp:

Hinge the pedals from the top, rather than on the floor, put a piece of slippery stuff on the floor at your heel.

I don't know of anybody that has done a 'straight line' travel pedal, all have been an 'arc' of some sort.

I've a few pix of top mounted pedals (mostly Cozy stuff though), holler and I'll attach one/two.

You might go to www.ttcse.com/cozylinks/ click the Chapter 13 link, and poke around the websites listed.

Oh, am sure you can modify an existing aircraft, just takes time (and $$)

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

Just an idea: Rudders controlled with knee-operated paddles located at the outside of each knee. Move a knee outboard to actuate a rudder. It does not take much leverage or travel to move a rudder and the linkage would be pretty simple.-Kent

All Right! The Thigh Master version of canard brakes, damn why didn't I think of that? Suzanne Summers would probably sue me if I did.

I can see it now.. "Honey, your butt is getting big, go flying would you!" :D

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

You might go to www.ttcse.com/cozylinks/ click the Chapter 13 link, and poke around the websites listed.

Rick

Rick, what a cool web site, thanks for the link to that, I will definately add that one to our fave's

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

This is obviously a "dear John" post:irked:

If you are into thinking outside the bun,

---have you considered controlling the rudders and brakes by an additional joy stick on the console between the seats (or in a long or veri on the other console). The linkage would not be a great challenge and can be the mechanical equivalent of the rudder pedals., left for left rudder more left for brake, etc etc.

Kind of have to fly like a helicopter:rolleyes:

If I remember correctly, the Wright Bros used a similar arrangement on one of their early birds.

Because the rudders are used primarily on TO and landing one handed flying with the "proper stick" would be done most of the time.

I would put different springing on the rudder stick so as to mentally disconnect it from aileron and elevator.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

Two things come to mind, left brake, right brake. You need them to steer.

Mo'cycle front hand brake master cylinders (with levers) set up as knee paddles? Mo'cycle rear brake is usually a remote reservoir setup, or can be, at least on my 'Connie'. This might be a better choice?

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

Something based off of the top-hinged Cozy design in the photos Rick linked to seems pretty good actually, space allowing - operation would be similar to how I fly more conventional planes, biggest issue is being able to move my leg enough to get rudders and then brakes.

When flying Piper Warriors I steered with my feet and used the parking brake handle to get stopped, but even in Bonanza's and Cessna's I was always able to move my leg enough to get good brake/rudder control.

Might need to do some mock-up work - I also suspect that the leg cutout size will have a large impact.

Thanks again!

'Gimp'

Related Question: What is the throw (in inches) of the rudder pedals from neutral to full rudder deployment and then all the way to maximum braking?

Trying to figure out a way to mock up the pedals and see if there is a way to make the brakes work with my prosthesis. My concern is the leg hole restricts my ability to move my leg like I normally do to get good rudder/braking.

This might be a make-or-break issue for the Long-EZ for me.

It takes around 2.5 inches of travel to deflect the rudder fully. Then another inch or so to depress the brake cylinder. This is with the standard rudder bellhorns. I am going from memory; perhaps someone will come up with a precise measurement.

-Kent

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold