Exhaust slip joints

Edge 513

Asking if with the smoother 540 engine[not that harmonically smoother, but a bit smoother]..slip loints are needed in the exhaust.

ACS sells a "Berkut style" 3 into one, each side exhaust and there are no slip joints in it. Is it a lemon?

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Jannie Versfeld's broke off ...

One photo shows the 3 pipes each side (new)

the other shows the 3 in one - which broke after the 3rd join.

post-4196-141090168018_thumb.jpg

post-4196-14109016802_thumb.jpg

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

Jannie Versfeld's broke off ...

One photo shows the 3 pipes each side (new)

the other shows the 3 in one - which broke after the 3rd join.

balance has nothing to do with it. the power pulses of each cylinder makes them move on their own and at different times. they are always moving relative each other. the three seperate pipes are the better way. three pipes welded together will break.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

What do you think of Vances slip joint detail drawing, but add another pipe vertically to the stack with another slip joint?

It seems to address this.

post-4661-141090168023_thumb.jpg

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

I 've had the slip band break off, fortunantly, it didn't go through the prop.

To replace the slip band (the pipes need to be secured to each other), I welded tabs on each pipe about where the slip band was, and then used two springs to hold the pipes together.

The tabs and springs are exactly the same as the tabs and springs that hold the pipes to the engine. I was originally concerned about the pipes actually rubbing together, but after ten years and a thousand hours, theres no evidence of damage from the pipes rubbing against each other.

I'll be making a new exhaust set so it works with my new cowl. I'll use the springs instead of the slip band, AND, I'll weld a small piece to each pipe where they rub together.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Thanks Waiter.

Self confessed Wingnut.