where to put the air-in

steve

can you look at the pics and see what mite be the best spot for the butterfly ?

it looks like i need to scant it to the top of the t/b:confused:

down looks a little bissy with the exost and cs 124's.

darn to big 560kb and up. ill post on johns site if you want to see

ty in advance

Steve M. Parkins

• 2 months later...

For the life of me Steve I don't know what your post was about, but it said something about getting air inside, and so I am posting here.:(

Seems there is not much posting on any canard forums, so I will post this as one of my inlet designs. I have several,but I like where this one sits. No boundary layer standoff...just a ramp to an inlet that appears from the other 540 DD cooling inlets dimensionally adequate. Its the shape of my/this proposed inlet and the ramp that I am pondering. The ramp/hump, I have seen in some old jet inlet that I cant remember. "Course we are not at those speeds. Lynn has some inlets in this low pressure zone that work very well, and are actually lower and smaller.

I, and the jury are out on go or no go..but I am inclined to try this one. :)

Flame suit on...

post-4661-141090169665_thumb.jpg

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Why the hump?

I like Marty Feldman..."hump., what hump?"[Young Frankenstein]

Whyyy?...just because I like it. Here's my boundary layer version.

Also pic included , I found that "old jet". Scoop looks pretty dang snarky there!

There is a quasi-NACA design in this location that is on a DD cooling Mark IV. See the pic.

I am just looking to do something that works, as a modification similar to Scott Carters dimensions, though a little smaller, [that works very well] that has my signature on it.

I am using the plans belly NACA I built for the oil cooler and combustion air. These are just for DD.

post-4661-14109016968_thumb.jpg

post-4661-141090169692_thumb.jpg

post-4661-141090169694_thumb.jpg

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Why the hump?

I like Marty Feldman..."hump., what hump?"[Young Frankenstein]

Whyyy?...just because I like it. Here's my boundary layer version.

Also pic included , I found that "old jet". Scoop looks pretty dang snarky there!

There is a quasi-NACA design in this location that is on a DD cooling Mark IV. See the pic.

I am just looking to do something that works, as a modification similar to Scott Carters dimensions, though a little smaller, [that works very well] that has my signature on it.

I am using the plans belly NACA I built for the oil cooler and combustion air. These are just for DD.

Interesting. but beware of putting it to far out in front of the scoop. I found that any thing placed in front of the opening even vortex generators just helped the air to stay seperated and go right over the scoop

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Thanks Lynn,

I thought guys put two vortex generators on purpose in front to turbulate the airstream just in front of their NACAS, just for that reason. At least that's what I heard as a response to my questioning about that. Seems guys were trying to increase the flow into their NACA's with them. My ram hump certainly is bigger than a pair of vortex gen.

What do you think of the boundary layer config and hump? The jet photo?

To you Aeronaughtycal engineer types who know what this is called, I apologize for murdering your professions english.

Self confessed Wingnut.

The no-hump version.

No possible interference. It's just in a somewhat lower pressure zone.

Probably my choice.

post-4661-141090169698_thumb.jpg

Self confessed Wingnut.

The half-cones you see in the intake of the jet serve a very specific purpose which I am quite certain your inlets do not need. On sonic and super-sonic aircraft the cone serves to form the shock wave ahead of the intake such that the air can be slowed into the turbine to sub sonic speeds. On some aircraft, notably the SR-71, the cone is movable. You can read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sr-71#Air_inlets

So, it might look snarky on your Cozy, but it sure doesn't do what it does on that fighter jet.

Kevin R. Walsh & Michael Antares

Cozy Mk-IV #413

N753CZ

From a couple years back, this is proof that my cone IS movable...

MY cone DOES look snarky in a Cozy.:)

post-4661-14109016971_thumb.jpg

Self confessed Wingnut.

On sonic and super-sonic aircraft the cone serves to form the shock wave ahead of the intake such that the air can be slowed into the turbine to sub sonic speeds. On some aircraft, notably the SR-71, the cone is movable.

The SR-71 was/is featured on the Military Channel: Great Planes segment. They covered this feature and it's some pretty amazing stuff. The guy said that if they were running low on fuel they would accelerate to a higher speed to reduce the burn rate???????

Yeah .... I don't think my Long-EZ will support that. :(

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

The SR-71 was/is featured on the Military Channel: Great Planes segment. They covered this feature and it's some pretty amazing stuff. The guy said that if they were running low on fuel they would accelerate to a higher speed to reduce the burn rate???????

I happen to have met a former SR-71 pilot and that is exactly what he told me. He said that a higher mach number the Blackbird would loose more skin friction thereby "make fuel". He had some really interesting facts that had been declassified and was allowed to pass on.

The half-cones you see in the intake of the jet serve a very specific purpose which I am quite certain your inlets do not need. On sonic and super-sonic aircraft the cone serves to form the shock wave ahead of the intake such that the air can be slowed into the turbine to sub sonic speeds. On some aircraft, notably the SR-71, the cone is movable. You can read about

To add on, the cones on the Dassault Mirage 2000 (aircraft on the top photo) are called Mice (a mouse) and are retractable, in subsonic regime, its as aft as it can get to maximize the surface of the inlet. when it goes supersonic, the mouse comes out so that the Mach cone (shock-wave) generated by the nose of the mouse matches the lip of the inlet (a bit like the SR71 on Krwalsh's link). When the Mach number increases, the mach cone angle reduces, so the mouse goes out even more to match that angle, and also to reduce the surface of the inlet (you also lose 4400lbs of thrust in that process out of 21400lbs total)

see this for the boundary layer suppressor:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Greece---Air/Dassault-Mirage-2000BG/1512069/L/&sid=63c0f0d8ca07a97ff6cc83d790e1e014

Some other aircraft similar (Dassault Super Étendard) had no mice.

Basicaly, you will lose surface if you ad a mouse to your inlet, making the inlet bigger for the same surface, thus making more drag... but i agree it looks good :)

I happen to have met a former SR-71 pilot and that is exactly what he told me. He said that a higher mach number the Blackbird would loose more skin friction thereby "make fuel". He had some really interesting facts that had been declassified and was allowed to pass on.

I think in the program they attributed it to the greater combustion pressures generated. We have a retired SR-71 pilot in our EAA chapter. He's getting up in the years but flies young eagles at every opportunity.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Wayne Hicks was involved in a major way with the SR71. Wayne has got so much history in cool stuff that he never talks about. He's like stealth.

Self confessed Wingnut.

That was the EXACT one! Thanks Greg.

Funny how things stick in your memory.

Self confessed Wingnut.

all fun aside, I know you're going to be cranking a lot of cubes back there but I was really getting some real straight talk last year from Vance and Buly (both from the Southern heat) at RR. They say the plans updraft works fine. I spoke with another Cozy guy today and he says his cht's are fine too. I'm thinking maybe the worst time would be just loitering on the tarmac and takeoff. Possibly some top venting is all that's really needed?