How to keep water out?

rogerbacon

My Long-EZ parks outside and we get terrible rains down here in May and June. I went out to fly yesterday and found a couple of inches of water in teh nose. I spend 30 minutes bailing water out and then soaking more of it up with a towel. How do you keep water out of the plane (other than putting it in a hanger which is not an option). I think most of the water came in through the elevator openings in the canard. I've wrapped that are with some plastic bags and stuffed the ends into the holes. I hope that makes a difference. Does anyone have a better solution?

Also, when I lifted the nose up a lot of water ran out of the wing. I have tape over most of the seams between the areas wher the wings attach but some of it has come off. It is no big deal if water gets in there because it will drain out once the nose is lifted up, right? It can't get in anything important right? I mean soem people don't even tape up those areas.

My Long-EZ parks outside and we get terrible rains down here in May and June. I went out to fly yesterday and found a couple of inches of water in teh nose. I spend 30 minutes bailing water out and then soaking more of it up with a towel. How do you keep water out of the plane (other than putting it in a hanger which is not an option). I think most of the water came in through the elevator openings in the canard. I've wrapped that are with some plastic bags and stuffed the ends into the holes. I hope that makes a difference. Does anyone have a better solution?

Also, when I lifted the nose up a lot of water ran out of the wing. I have tape over most of the seams between the areas wher the wings attach but some of it has come off. It is no big deal if water gets in there because it will drain out once the nose is lifted up, right? It can't get in anything important right? I mean soem people don't even tape up those areas.

if your in a wet climate then it would be better not to tape up the bottom of the wing seams and the wing attach holes so what ever water does get in has a way out. water held in tis area will cause the wing attach bolts to corrode. in the nose I would provide a way for the water to get out. standing water is the worst situation.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Easiest solution is to drill some holes where water collects. The holes (1/8" or so) don't hurt anything. I have about 8 holes in my belly.

Here is a cover I made a out of Sunbrella awning fabric. It kept the airplane pretty clean and dry outdoors but took days and an industrial sewing machine to make.

post-89-141090167982_thumb.jpg

post-89-141090167993_thumb.jpg

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Kent- That is really quite something. Thanks for posting your comprehensive coverage of the Cozy!! =) Maybe I will need something like this and here it is as a great illustration.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

I've parked outside since 1986. Had the same problems you have.

Drilled two holes in the nose at the furthest point forward that you can. Drill them so you can fit 1/2" platic water pipe inside. I then glued the water pipe in and trimed to contour the ouside. Small holes will not let the water and debris out.

I never had a problem with the wings. Seal all gaps, and especially make sure the hole covers are leak proof.

On the canopy right where the longeron meets front and goes over the instrument panel, I sanded a small groove forward and down on the outside. This lets water comming down the canopy frame drain to the outside rather than to the inside and down the instrument panel.

See; http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=817