So who is building an Open-EZ right now?

JLKnolla

Well it has been a while since I have been on - just checking in.

How about a status report, is anyone actively building from the latest Open-EZ templates and TERF CD?

Curious too to see about interest in precut bulkheads and skins - thinking it would be a great idea to mix the Eureka CNC cores with waterjet cut bulkheads and skins - thinking with desired changes like extra width, etc. If a sort of airframe kit could be cobbled together who would be interested?

• 7 years later...

G'day from Sunny South Florida

I just saw the Canard Zone is back after being off-line for a while.  Actually, I have been too.  I am building (still) and Open-EZ that I started back in 2008.  I have taken a few years off of the build and I have retired from the DC rat race....

I see my Open EZ templates may have some errors....  I will have to review and see how that impacts my build so far.  I have most of the plane built...  So I guess I will have some changes.  

Well, I just wanted to sign in and say G'day/Hello.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jeff.

I've been building since 2016, using modified Aerocanard plans. Hopefully your fixes are minor (seems probable, though I'm not really OpenEZ familiar).

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

Hi Jeff, good to have you back!

I see my Open EZ templates may have some errors....  I will have to review and see how that impacts my build so far.  I have most of the plane built...  So I guess I will have some changes.

See the post pointing out the errors (Important Update regarding the Open-EZ revision 5 templates

You will find that the result of the error -- if you even implemented it -- would have resulted in a 1/8" to 1/4" difference in wing chord length or wing thickness that would likely have been sanded away anyway.

I am not you and do not have your plane and will not be flying your plane, but if I built a plane like this with the incorrect dimensions, I would finish it, thoroughly taxi test, and expect to eventually fly it just fine.

Seek however many second opinions you need to be comfortable, after all, it's up to you.   :)

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• 2 years later...

I'd like to start building, but would first have to move an old project out of the garage.

All I need to do is secure the templates (saw the update about the dimensions on three pages being off) and the plans.

Assistance (advice) would be apprecieated.

For backgorund, I'm a USAF C-130 Crew chief, which I think will help with a build.

Thanks in Advance!

Edited by Thompsolonian

There are probably a lot of Cozy and Long-ez builder/owners in Minnesota you could contact.  A few are on this site but a search in members does not show them.  You could join the Central States Association or David Orr's EZ Squadron, which publish member lists.  Join the Cozybuilders google group or the Canard-aviators yahoo group and introduce yourself and someone will usually invite you to come take a look.  Both airplanes are similar to build.

There is lots of web information and blogs on building Long-ezs and Cozys.  Google and Google images will lead you to a lot of them.  Here are a couple

http://www.aryjglantz.com/p/blog-page.html   http://longezproject.blogspot.com/p/blog-by-topic.html

Go A.F.!

• Thanks 1

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

• 2 months later...

If anyone is still asking, I have gathered enough materials to get through chapter 9. As far as I can tell, with the TERF CD, Open EZ drawings, and Ferde Grofe video, I have everything I need to build an airplane. On top of that, I think I might be able to talk Bill James into looking over my work once in a while.

I haven't officially started yet. trying to get other projects moved out so I can by this fall.

Appreciate the tip, but I already have a 4 place. Like most, at least two of those seats fly empty. There was a Long over at Borland field, but they had fitted some sort of retractable mains system. I am very keen on a plans built Long, not a heavier overly complicated hybrid. (and I'm not referring to the cozy, which I think is a great bird) I'm even in the camp that thinks the original nose looks fine.