Plans #1579 .... There mine!

rpcamp737

For my birthday on April 23, the wife and kids gave me Plans #1579! Been reading all I can find on the Cozy and other canards for a while now. They knew that a Cozy is what I wanted to build. I was hoping to make Sun-N-Fun this year but couldn't make it work out with work. I WILL BE AT OSHKOSH! Camera in hand and a notebook full of questions.

Thanks to all who post to the websites that are out there! So many questions have already been answered. And thanks in advance to all who answer in the future!

It will be probably fall before construction starts...yes...the dreaded home projects HAVE to be finished...So she says:D

Congrats!

There are plenty of things you can do while you are waiting to start building. First thing you should do is read the newsletters and mark up your set of plans with all the changes outlined in the newsletters. Even with a 3rd edition plans, there are quite a few. You don't want to forget to do that in six months.

Print out the FAQs on Marc's site for the chapter you are on and staple a copy to that chapter of the plans. This way, you will never forget to read them before reading the chapter!! You'd be amazed at how many people forget to read them and ask a question that was answered in the FAQ.

Start organizing your shop. Start building your table, hot box, etc. Try to do something everyday. Even if its just 15 mins. You will stay disciplined and make steady progress this way!

Good luck with everything. Someone is always available to answer your questions. If you haven't done so, subscribe to the Cozy mailing list as well. Between that and these forums, you will never be alone in your build!

Now get started!

Jim

Cozy MKIV #1565 (Chapter 6)

Charlotte, NC

Welcome and ditto what Jim said! My only regret is that I didn't start this 5 years earlier. :o

Spend some time each evening getting the plans in order - as Jim said make the appropriate changes to your plans so that you don't forget later.

If you have not joined Central States, I suggest you do that now and get caught up on news, changes, etc. Have fun! :cool2:

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

Sweet! Another person starting at rock bottom with me!! Congrats on your plans.. Now the fun begins. Like ... Reading the Plans.. Is that a Pirate doing Layup?

You're not alone at all! I'm the owner of plans #1556. Have just started on ch. 4. Front seatback is done, finished aft side of F22, F28 and IP yesterday. This is fun!

Erlend Moen
Norway
Cozy MK IV #1556 - Chapter 16
http://cozy.ljosnes.no

how fun......the old seat back, mine got floxed not micoed :envy:

read up on router templeting (fast clean) but not on the seat back.

just the 1/4" stuff (3/8) and move the arm rest up 1/2" so the cozy girl straks fit flat at the elbow (to late for me).

Steve M. Parkins

Excellent!! I am currently working on the Jigs for Chapter 5. Sides.. Those are going to be interesting.. I Just ordered everything from Aircraft Spruce.. more cups, more Dacron, The chapter 5 stuff, More Epoxy.... but.. Damn it! I forgot to Order Flox and Micro! Grrr.... I wonder if that stuff could be obtained locally.

Flox and Micro! Grrr.... I wonder if that stuff could be obtained locally.

Depending on where you live, you should be able to find it locally. I got my microballoons and flocked cotton from the local fiberglass supplier. They, in turn, needed to order the flocked cotton from another local supplier that specializes in boat-building.

Joe Polenek

Joe

Cozy Mk IV #1550

I wonder if that stuff could be obtained locally.

I called our local hobby shop (1 hour drive), cause they sold micro. I was near their shop for other reasons and stopped in to get some. They had containers about the size of a cup, and wanted $8. Oh well, I didn't get any there.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Ouch.. I just placed another order for the Flox and Micro.. I wonder how much a pound Really is.. I wonder if I should have gone with the 5 pounds of the stuff. I know when I was working with the stuff, it seemed very.. Light.

Ah well.. Live and learn. Might have to make another order of the pound does not last through the Fuselage construction.

Just a general question:

When I worked with the seatback and now bulkheads, I got microslurry and epoxy on the underside of the foam. I have covered my workbench with saran-wrap and some of the slurry and epoxy that was spilled went in between the foam and saran.

• Is there a way to avoid this?
  • Do I just sand this away before I begin to work on the opposite side?
  • And how do I avoid this to happen on the now already finished glassed side that will be facing down?

Erlend Moen
Norway

For a new cozy construction I would definantly buy micro by the 5 lb. bag you probably will use 1 1/2 5 lb. bags to build it and 2 five lb. bags to finish it. To keep epoxy from driblling down the sides of the foam you just have to be more careful when you spread it. just sand it off. STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Erlend,

Steve is right. Just be more careful when you are spreading that stuff around. You can just sand it off, but why make more work for yourself?

For flat pieces, you can try putting a few pieces of wood under it to elevate it off the surface. Kinda like when you did the other side of the seatback. That way you can spread the micro and epoxy around and it wont pool up underneath. When you are done spreading. You can clean up and then lay the piece flat to cure....

Keep on building!

Jim

Charlotte, NC

If you weighted your parts while the layup cured, then the excess micro on the underside should be pretty flat. If that side was not already glassed, I'd just rough it up a little and do your slurry/squeegee/glass layup over it, unless it is raised up. I remember when I tried to sand off the stuff that got onto bare foam, I wound up causing damage to the foam (low spots). It's easy to sand off the excess on the edges, though. My $.02.

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

You can micro both sides at the same time. After it cures, sand and do your layup. It's called harshelling.

Actually it sounds like your slurry might need more micro in it.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Many interesting answers here!

I did weight the parts down, so yes, the epoxy/slurry is flat. And it's not THAT much. I'll just rub it for now.

It could be a good idea to raise the parts a bit, I'll try that approach now when I am going down to my garage.

Too little micro? Perhaps... I mixed it so it looked like the slurry that Rutan and Melville used in the composite-video. Approx the same volume with micro as epoxy. How does that sound?

The saga continues...

Erlend Moen
Norway

Did the rest of the glassing yesterday, following some of the advices given. I know one of the mistakes I did previous, I poured way too much slurry on the foam, and struggling to remove the excess I was too sloppy and much went outside the foam.

This time I used a brush and painted on the slurry at places with little foam, and used the squeege with causion. I also put the pieces on some foam-parts to elevate them as suggested. Worked like a dream, and I could easily wipe off the few drops that came underneath.

Now the parts are curing under weight - I'm looking forward to see the weight of my parts.

Erlend Moen
Norway

Some of the things that you have said lead me to believe that your slurry is too thin. I recommend mixing in enough balloons to make it where it will not pour easily out of your mixing cup. When you get it on the foam, it won't tend to run off. It would be better if you need a little heat to get it to spread around. This will keep it from running off and getting on the other side and you will be building a lighter part. Mix it up as thick as you can practically spread it around and fill the pores of the foam.

Dave Adams

Long EZ N83DT

Race 83

Erlend,

Good to see you've worked things out. It's one of those "ah ha!" moments, there are more to come ;-)

As far as the micro/epoxy ratio, you will find the type of foam will often dictate your ratio. For example, your lower density foams will benefit from a slightly thicker mixture to help fill all the voids easier, whereas the higher density foams will be easier with a thinner mixture. You will learn which to use over time...

Good luck and keep building!

Jim

Charlotte, NC