Hobbs running slow

My hobbs meter is running at about 1/3 speed. When I climbed out of my long-ez the day before the flight I pulled a wire out with my foot (those holes are small for my legs and feet). I checked all the instruments and concluded that the wire probably went to the clock since it was the only thing not working. I didn't check the hobbs at that time though. It was later, after my flight, that I realized the hobbs was running slow.

Any ideas on what I should look at to fix it? How does one get in there to see where all the wires go?

I assume that you are talking about a Longez or Varieze----pull the canard off to take a look. There is also a little "splash shield" above the instrument panel.

On Cozys (and some Longezs), the whole top from the canard to the inst panel pops off (hinge wire on my Cozy).

Study the wire diagram for your aircraft to see where everything goes. Take a look at the back of your suspected instrument. Use your documentation or internet to figure out which wire is supposed to go. Hobbs should only have power and ground going to it. Use your voltmeter to figure out which one is power and which one is ground.

on the rental, the hobs ran off of oil presure so when the tack was down we flew the patern and saved big bucks(with the power back on landing).

I'm a frugal person. When renting the C150 I would turn the master on, program the radios, gps, check ATIS, etc. Why pay $85 an hour to do stuff that doesn't require the engine to be running. I'd spend several minutes doing so un-rushed because it was essentially free.

That was until I learned the Hobbs ran off the Master switch not the oil pressure. I was paying $85 an hour and not burning any fuel!! ouch. ok, change strategy.... program radio & GPS while speed taxiing!! :o no, not really. Now I typically rent a C172 with the Hobbs running off oil pressure.

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

I assume that you are talking about a Longez or Varieze----pull the canard off to take a look.

Study the wire diagram for your aircraft to see where everything goes. Take a look at the back of your suspected instrument. Use your documentation or internet to figure out which wire is supposed to go. Hobbs should only have power and ground going to it. Use your voltmeter to figure out which one is power and which one is ground.

What tools will I need to take off the canard? The hobbs is on the side of the pilot's headrest and the wire that came lose is on the right side of the panel.

This is the real disadvantage of not having a hanger-- working out in the hot South Florida sun. :(

Get hold of owner's manual/plans----being an owner, I consult the plans all the time.

Remove the canard: Remove the battery access cover, reove 2 bolts that hold canard on (7/16). There is a quick disconnect for the pilot stick in the right footwell (pull safety pin out of pin----pull pin out). Then need to unhook the 2 trim springs---remember which ones go where. You may have a VOR BNC disconnect on the bottom of the canard. Figure out where to place your canard when you lift it out. Sort of needs to slide forward and up. If you have silicone around the seams, you will need to cut that with a razor.

I just helped someone remove their canard---got everything disconnected and it would not slide out. Got under there with a flashlight and saw extra bolts doing who knows what---so I had to remove those too.

Fixing the hobbs----1st thing I would do is to remove the hobbs from the headrest---and make sure it is not reading tach time. Unhook it----and bench test it on a battery. At least then, you can isolate it from the aircraft. Your problem may or not be the loose wire.

With the canard off, you can trace your loose wire. A volt meter/continuity checker can greatly help you out here.

Working on the ramp sucks---in the sun our out.