First Cozy materials order today!

lhendrick

Placed orders with ACS and Wicks today. Interesting experiment as I ordered the Chap. 4-7 kits and building supplies from ACS and the Cozy Grrls Toolset and Epoxy (5 gallons MGS 335, 10 quarts hardener) from Wicks. My observations so far are:

Better Pricing at ACS, made better yet with EAA VISA card discount (5-10% discount depending on item)

Incredible service from Wicks, with the order placed at 9 am and shipped same day, all items complete and only a $10 shipping surcharge for the MGS.

Some confusion at ACS over inventory status of Chapter kits. Online system shows Ch 4,5 back ordered, but they were in stock, Chapter 7 shows as in stock, but by the time the order was picked it is back ordered. Phone conversation indicated all parts of order should be in stock within a week so I may have them hold the total order for one shipment.

Anyway, all this is terribly exciting as in one week I will be BUILDING THE FRONT SEATBACK!

Larry Hendrick

Canardiologist

Cozy Mark IV Started 2/12/2009 - Now on Chap. 6

http://web.me.com/lhendrick/Cozy_MkIV/Welcome.html

I haven't built anything yet, but both builders I have visited found the seatback a challenge as a first part, and had some reservations at the result. Is also a tricky bit to re-do as it is a lot of stuff to throw away if not right and the only sheet of foam that size you will get.

I'm going to start with F28, then do the seatback. I reckon I could foul up a dozen of them before approaching the cost of throwing away one seatback.

Best of luck with your build

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

Yep what Spodman says, the seatback test your skills early in the game. Large layup, glass laps, flox corners, bends, ... Don't sweat any of the cutouts (corner, map pocket, maybe the electrical) till you're ready to assemble in the sides.

Yep on Wicks and ACS too. I prefer to order from Wicks, even though ACS is often cheaper. Might ask if they'll match a price, can't hurt asking :)

Umm, as STeve will say, "Build On!" :D

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

Before you order more chapters, you might want to buy a full roll of BID and a full roll of UNI, you will use both of them up and more. Save a lot of tim, aggrevation and money. Also a LOT of peel ply as well. Store your peel ply in such a way as it will never get wrinkles.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Excellent advice, looking at the plans the seatback does look like an acre of foam and glass. F28 it is then. Now to get ACS to actually ship stuff.

Once I get some feeling for how I like this composite stuff I Will place an order for bulk glass and peel ply.

Larry Hendrick

Canardiologist

Before you order more chapters, you might want to buy a full roll of BID and a full roll of UNI, you will use both of them up and more.

I ordered my foam all at once as well. Save some $$ on shipping.

Also a LOT of peel ply as well. Store your peel ply in such a way as it will never get wrinkles.

I get my peel ply on a roll. No wrinkles.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Yah, we did a road trip and picked up all of our foam in one go. If you have a long wheelbase minivan and take all the seats out you can squeek it in, I think I had some in the front seat with me too....best time to accidentally drive off a bridge:ROTFLMAO:

...h'airbags? we don't need not steenking h'airbags, we have flotation too!

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

So, today I received the initial order from Wicks. It contained the Cozy Girrls toolset, 5 gallons of MGS resin and appropriate hardener. It was like xmas opening up the boxes, lots of tools to play with and get acquainted with.

On another note, my order with ACS for Chapter 4-7 kits and supplies has not shipped yet. Not impressed with ACS service at this point. I ordered from them same day as Wicks. The difference in service is significant. Called them yesterday and they said the order would ship that day, but today the online order status shows the order pulled, but not shipped. I still have lots to do to get the workshop ready, but I could be cutting out the Chapter 4 bulhead foam if they would send it!

Q: Is this level of service (one week and counting to ship) to be expected with ACS, and should I plan for that to get their better prices. I suppose I could just reward Wicks for their great service by ordering everything from them. I like having 2 suppliers and want to support both for the service they provide to the homebuilding community but feel like ACS needs a wake up call.

Larry Hendrick

Canardiologist

Q: Is this level of service (one week and counting to ship) to be expected with ACS,

In their defense, it's a large order, lots of small parts. Santa needs to check the list twice, find optimal boxes, crate it, ...

I've had good service from them (via web ordering only though) for onesies twosies.

Patience Grasshoppa :)

Rick

In their defense, it's a large order, lots of small parts. Santa needs to check the list twice, find optimal boxes, crate it, ...

I've had good service from them (via web ordering only though) for onesies twosies.

Patience Grasshoppa :)

Rick

OK. Large order= lottsa $$$, you'd think in this economy they'd like to get the funds into their account fast, but they can't charge me until they ship. Wicks gets it. Send the goods, get the money. I'm just patriotically trying to do my part for the economic recovery.

Larry Hendrick

Canardiologist

I agree with Rick. Have patience. Although I must say, I have been extremely satisfied with ACS. I placed my order for everything in 4-7 minus the glass (bought full rolls of BID and UNI elsewhere), and it shipped two days later. Placed another order for epoxy a couple weeks ago and it shipped in 1 day.

But maybe I have been luckier than some. I know there were issues in the past, but they seem to be resolved now.

I remember that Christmas feeling....trust me, after you start building parts, it doesn't go away. Waking up the next day and checking out the layups you did the night before is very similar (unless you messed up, then it's more like getting coal in your stocking).

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Jim

Cozy MKIV #1565 (Chapter 6)

Charlotte, NC

Just a couple of thoughts: did you do the practice layups in Chapter 3? If you did, you would have learned everything you need to know to do the seatback. It's not difficult, and you would have to try hard to actually ruin it.

I use ACS and Wick's, and both have been very good - and both have made mistakes. When you get your fiberglass cloth - always check it to make sure it is either BID or UNI. I got a roll from one of the companies and the package was labled UNI but was actually BID. Fortunately, my son noticed the problem before we ruined anything.

If you did not do the practice layups in Chapter 3, I suggest you stop and do that - you'll be glad you did. :cool:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

I'm just patriotically trying to do my part for the economic recovery.

I think every Cozy/Long/Open builder is... the EZ drivers too ;)

While waiting, you could varnish your table top. I used several coats of water based urethane. Give it a light coat of wax (I don't) after, and epoxy dribbles will mostly pop off. Sand and revarnish periodically. Flat is good.

Trace the bulkhead patterns onto velum. Saves hacking up your plans.

Stock up on 'stuff'... paper towels, nitrile gloves.

Respirator for organic fumes, particle mask(s) for dust (there's a lot of this). Don't go cheap, but one that fits nice.

Buy a new filter for your shop vac, I found those pleated 'permanent' ones work fairly well.

Get some plastic squeegees, 1" brushes too.

Hack up some scrap lumber for stir sticks (or visit your Clinic for tongue depressors, or Popsicle sticks).

6oz plastic cups for mixing. Safeway/Sam's

Roll or two of 4mil poly sheeting.

Go over the plans again, repeat this regularly.

Selection of sharpie markers.

Clamps. If you don't have a selection, you will.

Make up some small sand bags for weighting stuff down. 1qt zip-locks seem to work.

When the package arrives, mark the ends of the foam as to what type it is. In time you'll be able to tell, but at the git go...

Use kid gloves with the urethane, stare at it too long and it'll decompose. It's *real* soft.

Rick

Concerning acs verses Wicks:

I use them both, Wicks is cheaper on some stuff and Acs is cheaper on others I dont think anybody beats them for spar cap glass price because they are the ones making it. ACS usually ships the fastest. Wicks has way better service. I want them to both stay in business so I make sure they both get my business. STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

OK, I am patiently :) waiting for the ACS order. In the meantime I continue to hone my aircraft assembly facility with all these suggestions, especially the clamps and weights. Currrently tracing plans. I'll be going to the EAA Sportair Composits class Feb 21-2. I've got all the building supplies coming from ACS so no practice until/when they deliver.

After tracing the plans I may start cutting out all the wood for jigs and setting them aside.

Larry Hendrick

Canardiologist

I use large ziplock bags full of sandblasting sand for weights. No pressure points on the foam (some of which is pretty soft.)

I have in the past sandblasted some parts so my weights serve double duty.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I like the bags of dirt solution for weights, so low tech.

Finished tracing all the bulheads today. Useful exercise in visualizing how they fit into the sides/longerons/spacers.

Tomorrow I will build my 'heated tent' for curing, and finish the epoxy hotbox.

**Update** ACS has shipped my Chap 4-7 plus expendables so I should have all I need to start building next week **

Larry Hendrick

Canardiologist

While waiting, you could varnish your table top. I used several coats of water based urethane. Give it a light coat of wax (I don't) after, and epoxy dribbles will mostly pop off. Sand and revarnish periodically.

Isn't wax in the build area a bad thing?

Isn't wax in the build area a bad thing?

In my opinion yes, though some do. Anything that may transfer to a build surface... :eek:

Aerosol silicone lube in the same area is a no-no also. So are micro balloons on the table when doing Lo-Vac. :rolleyes:

Rick